Sims 2 Performance Issues

Thread: Sims 2 Performance Issues

Sims 2 Performance Issues

Hopefully some one here can help as EA has been of no use. I've installed Sims 2 on my PC, specs are

P4 2.66
    i865 chipset
    160GB Seagate hdd
    Mitsumi 48x CD-ROM
    HP DVD+R/W 300i
    1.5GB RAM
    ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (Catalyst 4.10 drivers)
    Windows XP SP2
    Sound Blaster Live! Value
    Netgear USB 802.11g NIC

When trying to launch the game, I get the splash screen then it crashes with a generic error. I've tried disabling everything at start up, have tried several video driver versions, have uninstalled the game including manually removing every part of it from the drive and the registry and still get the same error. Any thoughts? I thought maybe it was an issue with SP2 but it runs fine with SP2 on a friends PC.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to the WD Forums,phoyoco,

Nice PC! Why dont u try installing the same game on your friends pc(your copy of the game), it could be that the CD has an error on it. My Best Guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Welcome to the WD Forums,phoyoco,

Nice PC! Why dont u try installing the same game on your friends pc(your copy of the game), it could be that the CD has an error on it. My Best Guess.
    Gave that a try, doesn't work on his either. Same errors, looks like it might be an issue reading cd 1. Called EB, they are going to do an exchange, hopefully that will resolve the problem. Thanks!

My wife's hooked on that damn game. I tried playing, created a single swingin' kinda guy , which my wife promptly made her sim marry. And that ended my foray with the game. But I ahd to buy her a whole other computer because she just wouldn't get away from mine because of the dam sims 2
    Today, a haiku:

Google, you f**ktard
    my fingers are so weary
    of repeating crap

Quote Originally Posted by gtiseb
    My wife's hooked on that damn game. I tried playing, created a single swingin' kinda guy , which my wife promptly made her sim marry. And that ended my foray with the game. But I ahd to buy her a whole other computer because she just wouldn't get away from mine because of the dam sims 2
    My girlfriend generally isn't into PC games and was laughing at how dumb the concept of the Sims sounded when I explained it to her. Then she saw me play it.... now she's hooked, thankfully her laptop is capable of running the game decently. She's now playing on that while I play on our PC.

sims2 problems

Quote Originally Posted by phoyoco
    Hopefully some one here can help as EA has been of no use. I've installed Sims 2 on my PC, specs are

P4 2.66
    i865 chipset
    160GB Seagate hdd
    Mitsumi 48x CD-ROM
    HP DVD+R/W 300i
    1.5GB RAM
    ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (Catalyst 4.10 drivers)
    Windows XP SP2
    Sound Blaster Live! Value
    Netgear USB 802.11g NIC

When trying to launch the game, I get the splash screen then it crashes with a generic error. I've tried disabling everything at start up, have tried several video driver versions, have uninstalled the game including manually removing every part of it from the drive and the registry and still get the same error. Any thoughts? I thought maybe it was an issue with SP2 but it runs fine with SP2 on a friends PC.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I can tell you right now its NOT your system specs (less its a piece of hardware being evil.)

My specs

os(Windows 2000 Professional, Service Pack 4 (5.0 - 2195))
    cpu(1-AMD Thunderbird, 1402MHz, 256KB
    mem(512MB)
    gfx(NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500 (Omega KX 1.4523a)@1024x768 32bit 75Hz)

If my old pokeyb ox can run it just fine so can yours. Hell I can run "singles: flirt up your life" on it
    yes that is the NUDE sims from UK. Shame I can't get them to do a austin powers move yet.
    Murphy's Law: If it can be messed up it will get messed up.