[RESOLVED] help please: install win 98 but drivers missing!!

Thread: [RESOLVED] help please: install win 98 but drivers missing!!

liveaday

Exclamation help please: install win 98 but drivers missing!!

i installed win 98 but it seems i am missing some drivers. i went to system-device manager and under others i have two ? for PCI ethernet controller and PCI multimedia audio device. Can u help me? what do i need to do for windows to work properly???

shamus

You need to find out what your nic (pci ehternet device is) and what type of sound card you have. If you can find this out, this site can help you find the drivers your missing...an alternative metheod would be to contact your local geek You will have to look inside your computer to find the infomation from these two pci cards to find this information. If your computer came with recovery disks it might not be a bad idea to run them. Let me know what you have and I'll be as much help as I can.

------------------
    some people have an eloquent way with words and some people....not have way....

liveaday

so the only way to find out what devices i have is by looking inside the computer? arent these things standard for each make and model? when windows starts it tells me thats its missing some(5) .vxd files and lists them...knowing the names of those files helps?

Exclamation

You might try booting into Safe Mode and remove those devices that are flagged. Reboot...let Windows find them again and load the drivers for you. You will probably need to have your Win98 CD unless you have the .cab files already copied onto your hard drive. Point the Add Hardware Wizard in the direction of your .cab files.

Also, your NIC card could be hosing you up. You might try removing that card until you get the other issues straightened out.

Good Luck!
    DonJ

------------------

"Don't Mess with Texas!" --The Dubya
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!