Can't read DVD -R

Thread: Can't read DVD -R

Hybrid View

Can't read DVD -R

Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario 1600 laptop and find that it won't read a particular DVD. I have downloaded and used a DVD diagnostic program which reads it and shows it to be in DVD -R format but won't copy it as it is shareware.

I'm running Win98 SE

Is there a suitable driver out there to allow me to run the DVD ?

Thanks,

Alan

Cant find the info on the drive apart from it being a 24X CD-Rom drive are you sure it supports reading DVD-R disks?
    Last edited by Archer; October 30th, 2004 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Cant find the info on the drive apart from it being a 24X CD-Rom drive are you sure it supports reading DVD-R disks?
    That can't be the right model can it ? is it your turn to be me ? He's talking about DVDs - there must be one in this big list (all the 1600 models & their variations -some do have DVD drives) - so Hymer can you confirm which model please ? - we need to know exactly what model DVD drive we are talking about to figure out if its possible for it to read this variety of format or not.

Yes my googling is not up to your standards hence the query.
    On a further search I came across models with DVD-ROMS but no model numbers to verify their ability.

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    That can't be the right model can it ? is it your turn to be me ? He's talking about DVDs - there must be one in this big list (all the 1600 models & their variations -some do have DVD drives) - so Hymer can you confirm which model please ? - we need to know exactly what model DVD drive we are talking about to figure out if its possible for it to read this variety of format or not.

Hi,

it's a 16XL255 which I think is unique to the UK (where I live).

The drive is a "Toshiba SD-C2402 DVD ROM" and uses standard Windows drivers, the Toshiba website states that no other drivers are required or available, I think this is a known problem with Compaq/Toshiba.

The drive will read all other DVDs and Cds which I have but not this particular DVD which is a genuine manufacturer's disk but AFAIK recorded in DVD -R format, which I understand is not the standard format.

As I said in my initial post although the disk will not start and read in WIN98SE the shareware/evaluation diagnostic software will list the contents and shows it to be in DVD -R format.

Alan
    Last edited by Hymer; October 31st, 2004 at 09:26 AM.

So this says it should be able to read DVD- .. its DVD+ it shouldn't 'like' ..

SD-C2402- ATAPI Slim-Line

DVD-ROM (DVD-5, DVD-9, DVD-10, DVD-18), DVD-R (read, single border)
    & it also says this
    Toshiba's CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives do not require any unique device drivers for Windows '95/'98/2000/XP/NT.
    Which is exactly like every other CD/DVD drive as far as any reading goes..

So predictably I'm ..

Whats this 'the shareware/evaluation diagnostic' that can read it ?

Maybe I'm miss reading this ? .. can you look at the contents in windows explorer ? - 'playing it' is done by seperate software & needs codecs & things which is quite different really to what we've been talking about.
    Toshiba’s DVD drives require a third party software to be installed in your system to enable you to view DVD movies. If you purchased your drive as part of a kit, the software may have been included. The links below will provide some possible solutions should you not have this type of software.

I suggest you try it in anoher player to see if its a fault with the disk or not.The DVD rom only supports single session DVDs so if its a mullti session disk it wont read it.

The term, multi-border, refers to writing data in separate sessions to the same disc. This incremental writing method is similar to multi-session recording on CD-R media
    http://support.packardbell-europe.co...05031.asp?c=cl