Intel ICH5 chipset burnt, how come? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Intel ICH5 chipset burnt, how come?

Well, chalk one more up - 4 in total now. Good thing we have 3 yr. gold support from Dell. The 3rd one hasn't been replaced yet, but they are sending a new CPU power supply and board.

I still think the chips are bad. There are no other marks anywhere else.

Just to let you know I have found the same thing in another forum

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=1404712

By the way, the supplier phoned me last night asking me about the type of VGA and other cards I had on my PC when the chip is burnt because another customer had the same problem and the chip ICH5 was burnt on the his board.

Same thing! 2 motherboards in one day! "Burned Up!"

I HAVE BEEN BUILDING PC'S WITH GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARDS FOR SOME TIME NOW, I HAVE ALWAYS USED SOCKET 478 WITH NO PROBLEMS..... LAST WEEK I DECIDED TO BUILD (2) NEW PC'S ONE FOR ME AND MY FATHER WITH SOCKET LGA775 P4....... NEEDLESS TO SAY I KNOW HOW TO CONNECT USB CONNECTIONS ON GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARDS. THE FIRST ONE I BUILT RAN JUST GREAT!, HOWEVER AFTER I GOT EVERYTHING INSTALLED I WANTED TO TEST MY DIGITAL CAMERA TO LIST SOME THINGS ON EBAY, AS SOON AS I HIT THE CAMERA "ON" BUTTON "IT WAS FRIED! BURNED UP IN A SPLIT SECOND." THE CAMERA WAS ALSO CONNECTED THROUGH THE FRONT USB... THE MOTHERBOARDS I WAS USING WERE "GA-8IPE775-G" WELL REMEMBER I HAD ANOTHER ONE SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME FOR MY FATHERS PC THAT I WAS BUILDING, AFTER CHECKING AND TESTING EVERYTHING, I INSTALLED HIS MOTHERBOARD WITH ALL NEW COMPONETS AND LOADED JUST THE BASICS W/WINDOWS XP, IT ALSO RAN FINE I CHECKED ALL SETTINGS IN BIOS AND THEY ALSO WERE OK, NOHTING WAS WRONG IT RAN GREAT!!! FOR ABOUT 2 HRS, I DECIDED TO GIVE THE CAMERA ANOTHER TRY I PLUGGED IT UP TO THE FRONT USB, AND UPLOADED THE PICTURES IT RAN FOR HOURS JUST FINE AND I HAD NO-PROBLEMS. I WAS SURFING THE WEB FOR ABOUT 4HRS AND THEN "ZILCH" IT WAS ALSO "FRIED" I WAS NOT USING ANYTHING THE CAMERA WAS OFF AND NOTING WAS CONNECTED. THERE WAS ONLY ONE COMPONET THAT I HAD INSTALLED ON BOTH COMPUTERS AND THAT WAS MY VIDEO CARD. IT IS A CHAINTECH nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "SA5200-256" MABEY THIS IS THE PROBLEM? "I DON'T KNOW. I HAVE RETURNED THE MOTHERBOARDS AS DOA TO NEWEGG.COM AS I BOUGHT THEM AS REFURBISHED. I NOW DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO....... I AM AFRAID TO BUY MORE GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARDS OF THIS TYPE. THIS IS A HUGE WASTE OF TIME I HAVE BEEN INVESTIGATING COMPATIBILITY PROBLEMS, CHIPSET SPECS, ECT. I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN! IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT THE EXACT PROBLEM IS WITH THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW MY EMAIL IS [email protected], THANK YOU!

Wow thats a lot of capital letters
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    Wow thats a lot of capital letters
    And we just got supply of commas back to nornal.
    Sergeant WOTPP

And we just got supply of commas back to nornal.
    hehehehehe
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

alman, we've also had problems with the Dell Optiplex GX270 burning out the USB chip on the motherboard. I wondered if Dell has made any comments to you? Like you we've clocked up 4 fatalities.

chipset ICH5

It became known issue recently that Intels ICH5 chipsets is burning out while connecting USB device. Mainly ASUS P4P 800 boards are known to suffer this problem.

ICH5 chip burnt - is it the camera???

Hello, I'm new to the forum as I only got here because I did a websearch on causes of the computer crashing while using the front USB port.

What a coincidence!!!!!!!!

I too am using a Dell 270 machine and was doing EXACTLY what the first writer described; EXACTLY

My rig smoked immediately.

I am very suspicious tht the camera might be causing a momentary short-to-ground while powering it up with the USB cable connected.

BTW, since I am suggesting it may be a camera issue, I should mention that I was using an HP Photosmart M305 camera.

Could the other users on this thread be possibly using the same brand camera?

I will be calling HP today to find out if this is a known issue with their cameras.

More to follow.

feel free to e-mail me at:

[email protected]

or

[email protected]

kind regards,

chuck

Hi People..... I agree with everyone that stated that there is a problem with the chip. Seems like all the different scenerios trace back to the chipset. I used to do Warranty Admin. for Mack Trucks until I got sick from a virus and the way it works is.......the squeeky wheel gets the oil. If you can't get any help from the supplier, go directly to the manufacturer. They know that they have a problem, but they usually don't make a big display of it, because they take care of one problem at a time.....$$$$$$$$$$ it's all about the buck. If they have some kind of recall, they loose millions. Be persistant and you can get something out of it.
    If it aint' broke,,,,don't fix it.