Looking for holder type device for laptop-with handle??
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for holder type device for laptop-with handle??

Looking for holder type device for laptop-with handle??

Hello all,

I am looking for a device like the crude implement in the picture below.

I need for it to hold and secure my laptop so I can carry the laptop around by the handle, and also set it down on any surface to start using the computer. Is a device like this available, or do I have to further fabricate my implement so that it can also hold down my computer?

thanks

hmmm a chopping board....

It doesn't afford the laptop any protection when being transported... why can't you use a padded bag?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

My laptop exhaust at bottom so You will need space between surface and laptop
    but I cannot see what you have for a CATCH -ALL would do for your Laptop.
    No padding for transport, and If you do try to fasten it down no air flow.
    It will do real good for CHOPPING BLOCK

Sounds like you guys are saying that I will have to make my own device. The "chopping block" handle will facilitate me handling the laptop with a little less 'care and tenderness' than normal, and the block sets on my lap very comfortably, as well as allows a slight air gap for the cooling fan to draw air (not exhaust, hot air flows up, not down). As it is, I have to hold the computer to the 'block' when moving it, and I just want to grab the handle and go.

thanks

p.s. the extra wood on the right side protects the mouse usb thingy from getting hit and/or damage to the laptop. This would be a permanent appendage to my computer, so I guess I will have to make my own.

Yep, all the laptop mounts are temporary, or held in with straps. If you search for "laptop mount" you will get shed loads of stuff, but they all assume you will take the laptop out of the bag and put it on the mount.

hot air may flow up... but an exhaust fan pushes it in the direction of the fan... before you make the assumption that underneath are all intakes, I suggest you check!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

What would be ideal is to start with an aluminium/titanium case and add a scissor-legged and ventilated platform to raise the computer when you open the case so it gets air flow; the case you can probably locate 0on-line, the adaptation would need some design work.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Yep, all the laptop mounts are temporary, or held in with straps. If you search for "laptop mount" you will get shed loads of stuff, but they all assume you will take the laptop out of the bag and put it on the mount.

hot air may flow up... but an exhaust fan pushes it in the direction of the fan... before you make the assumption that underneath are all intakes, I suggest you check!
    I wasn't saying that they all do, but that is how mine operates, and the principles of mechanical design (thermodynamics) suggest that working with the natural convection forces of nature will result in lower power usage, and laptops are all about managing power usage. My particular laptop intakes from the bottom, and exhausts out the side. I don't know about too many others.

I think Noo Noo was trying to make the point that ventilation is necessary and hard to achieve on flat surfaces - whether your particular laptop sucks or blows is irrelevant - it needs space between the intake and the exhaust and MANY are ported one or the other on the base.

That's all.

In addition, assuming they are all intakes, according to your principles of mechanical design, you should look at the optimal airflow for those intakes and work out whether the gap between the board and the laptop will allow that much volume to be moved (remembering that particulate matter will build up).

Cooling as far as computers are concerned, is somewhat of a misnoma. It's more about moving heat away... therefore if you are sucking in air through a small intake area which is already higher than the ambient temperature, the temperature of that air is going to be warmer and therefore less able to transport the existing heat away.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT
    I think Noo Noo was trying to make the point that ventilation is necessary and hard to achieve on flat surfaces - whether your particular laptop sucks or blows is irrelevant - it needs space between the intake and the exhaust and MANY are ported one or the other on the base.

That's all.

thanks for all the information. I will guarantee that the laptop gets a lot more cooling air by sitting on the chopping block which is resting on my lap, than it would sitting on my lap alone. I've got a feeling that sucking air through my sweatpants doesn't work so well.

I guess I will buy a nice piece of oak, stain it well, and use the Kensington lock option holes to secure it to my 'block'. I found a daessy website that gives some useful information about designing 'clips' to hold down the laptop.

But when it's on your sweatpants and you get hot, you move it... Bolted to a chunk of oak is going to allow a heat buildup, the wood will get hot and it will hold the heat. If you are going to do this, use something that will act as a heatsink, not heatstorage!

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    But when it's on your sweatpants and you get hot, you move it... Bolted to a chunk of oak is going to allow a heat buildup, the wood will get hot and it will hold the heat. If you are going to do this, use something that will act as a heatsink, not heatstorage!
    but the board has a 1/8" airgap (my laptop has rubber feet, that allow for this gap), like any table, which will always allow for air flow. I will pay a great deal of attention to this in my design, and make indentations in my 'block' to allow for greater mass air movement, since you have convinced me that this is an important issue. I realize that heat greatly affects a processors performance.

thanks

Glad to help.

Wow, I can't believe that I couldn't just buy something similar to this, but oh well, I made what I needed, and it worked out fine. 3/4" thick Oak, I am going to run a router around the handles to put a radius on their edge.

I trimmed up some brass corner brackets to hold the front of my laptop down.

A single piece of aluminum with brass hardware on the ends holds the back down solidly.

Per comments earlier in this thread, I made a ventilation hole. Even when laid down flat, flow will not be impeded.

Now I can carry my laptop in and out, all around, by the HANDLES instead of treating it like a book or something. Much more convenient for me. I bought it for tuning my race car, which is actually going very well, so I will be carting it in and out of the house constantly. The program (HPTuners) installed and worked perfectly the FIRST time on my new Vista machine, if only my Samsung Camcorder would be so cooperative.

I think that I am going to stain the 'chopping block' a very dark mohagany, since I already have that color stain in the house, and I think it would look very nice. If you'll notice on the bottom right corner, you will see that the design of the 'chopping block' allows for protection to my Logitech mouse usb plug in, and any other usb plug in. (I was very concerned about the two inch appendage sticking out of the side of my computer).
    Last edited by anymanusa; March 4th, 2007 at 12:57 PM.

Well may be you should patent it?
    Glad it worked for you.