PS2 vs XBox

Thread: PS2 vs XBox

PS2 vs XBox

Long story short: Got into a lengthy discussion Saturday night with a group of friends about the pros and cons of each console and why one is better than another. Every point was debatable (which controller is better, which has better games, etc.) until someone brought up the online voice chat subject.

As far as I know, with xbox live, you get first year free when you purchase the xbox headset and the second year is $50 for a service/subscription fee. One of the people I was talking to said that PS2 has online voice chat also,.. in fact an entire online voice chat community service for completely FREE. FREE? How can that be? He pays nothing to use this and he can use any headset/microphone he wants. I was dumbfounded when he told me this.

I have looked on the web and can't seem to find much info on either one. Can someone please confirm or correct me on this based on personal experience/knowledge? I need answers.
    Hello World

not sure about the ps2 but I know xbox you can will setup a pc (server) and have it as a gateway for your xbox, and get free xbox live, not really xbox live but its a alt solution, I forgot were I saw that

Interesting.
    Hello World

I sold my PS2 and never bought an XBOX. The only games I play anymore are CoH and online poker. The only game out there that I wish I'd kept my PS2 for is GTA:SA, and I can wait for it to come out on PC.

Quote Originally Posted by meatwad
    I sold my PS2 and never bought an XBOX. The only games I play anymore are CoH and online poker. The only game out there that I wish I'd kept my PS2 for is GTA:SA, and I can wait for it to come out on PC.
    Good,.. this doesn't help me at all. Thanks.
    Hello World

Quote Originally Posted by +Daemon+
    not sure about the ps2 but I know xbox you can will setup a pc (server) and have it as a gateway for your xbox, and get free xbox live, not really xbox live but its a alt solution, I forgot were I saw that
    true. There are two piece of software that do this : xbconnect and xlink kai (look 'em up). Both work very well althought they don't have the ease of use of xbox live. THe ps2 does have voice chat capability but sony's online effort is pale in comparison to the xbox (that's not to say it doesn't work, it's just clumsy). Xbox live is something that MS got done right and is the reason why the xbox is now getting so popular. If you think down ms's line of thought , the current version of live is just a very successful test, they will use it (using XNA) to allow the pc and xbox console (maybe not this generation :-) ) to connect to each other in ways sony will never be able to. Think Media center extender, video conferencing, VOIP, Game console, pvr all rolled into 1. Plus XNA will also allow game developpers to create games for both the pc and the xbox that will interact with each other on live. Xbox live as well allows for online standings, buddy lists, partner finding and so much more.
    Sony's is pretty much call you buddy up and make sure he's got the same game and is on at the same time.

Just so you know, I'm not biased towards the xbox, I play games man PC, xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, GB all types, I just think that XBOX live is the way consoles should be online and MS got lucky by accidently creating it.
    Today, a haiku:

Google, you f**ktard
    my fingers are so weary
    of repeating crap

ahh just wait tell the PSP comes out drool

Get ready for the shortest scutterboy post in history and a post pad that Adept will be proud of.
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

Halo2

NUFF SAID?

The online stuff was a rare Sony Entertainment miscalculation.
    They decided not to concentrate on the online gaming community.
    There was a quote about 3 years ago from the Playstation2 big boss man. ( & Yes that IS the technical description of his possition )

When asked why they hadn't embraced networking in the PS2 design. The reply was roughly
    We couldn't see the point of winning the tallest short man competition.
    Basically it was considered a niche market so why spend time trying to conquer it. Now MS have it by the balls and may well rampage home with XBOX2.
    Last edited by scutterboy; November 4th, 2004 at 02:27 PM.

got my pstwo this past week, the new slim design one, has a built in network port.

So of course being the networking geek that I am I hooked her up to the internet, pinged and tracerouted the work webserver. Working beautifully.

A friend brought over Burnout3 and after a quick registration of giving them a username and fake email address to avoid spam, we were all hooked up, no charge.

Next thing you know we're racing our hoopdie ride against ferrari's thru the streets of London, everyone's crashing into us (on purpose) sparks are flying everywhere etc etc.

AFAIK the ps2 online game access is free, don't know about voice chat, other then thru the game I would think it would be free too.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Webby forget all this talk about Xbox, PS2's and voip and such and just get yourself another fish. I know it doesn't really add to the conversation but just think of it, while everyone in the group is debating about what controller is better or which system is the more advanced you can just zone out and look at your fish and have a Zen moment.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

Quote Originally Posted by Budster64
    Webby forget all this talk about Xbox, PS2's and voip and such and just get yourself another fish. I know it doesn't really add to the conversation but just think of it, while everyone in the group is debating about what controller is better or which system is the more advanced you can just zone out and look at your fish and have a Zen moment.
    Ooh ooh or a shiny thing,Oh Oh or a shiny fish!

I get the feeling i'm going way waaaaay off topic,
    A why the hell do I have an A in my sig.??