UN_Mountable Error, Need to access Files

Thread: UN_Mountable Error, Need to access Files

UN_Mountable Error, Need to access Files

Hello,

Ive been reading through the forums and Ive found a few solutions to the "UN_MOUNTAGBLE HD error" and Ive tried the Chkdsk /r and it freezes at 72 percent, then goes back to 50 percent. What i need to know how to do, is boot off a different Hard drive and access the files on my Fuxored hd. *Problem. I have a laptop. How do i go by booting on something to access my files that are much needed. Thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chris26969
    Hello,

Ive been reading through the forums and Ive found a few solutions to the "UN_MOUNTAGBLE HD error" and Ive tried the Chkdsk /r and it freezes at 72 percent, then goes back to 50 percent. What i need to know how to do, is boot off a different Hard drive and access the files on my Fuxored hd. *Problem. I have a laptop. How do i go by booting on something to access my files that are much needed. Thanks
    ok , you are saying the drive is in a laptop?

you can buy a adaptor block 34 to 40 odd pins ,and use that , or if u want to be more comfortable ,get a 3.5 in externalusb enclosure , and one of the adaptors , so that you are working "on the bench" so to speak ,

if your drive is formatted in ntfs , you will need a machine running xp / 2k to read it ,,,98 won,t,

those adaptors are commonly available and sometimes come with mounting rails ,,cost £10 or less in the UK

When using CHKDSK /R I find that the readings go as you say, quickly up to 72% or so then back to 50% however if you leave it it will then inch forward slowly 1% at a time on most systems - on average 2 hours will do it. Have you left the machne for that period of time? Sorry to ask the obvious!

Quote Originally Posted by bookmarkmns
    When using CHKDSK /R I find that the readings go as you say, quickly up to 72% or so then back to 50% however if you leave it it will then inch forward slowly 1% at a time on most systems - on average 2 hours will do it. Have you left the machne for that period of time? Sorry to ask the obvious!
    I'm currently running chkdsk /x /r and it's only at 34% now. It's been running one about 3 hours now. Can anyone tell me how long it'll take to finish a 40 gig hard drive?

That all depends on the amount of errors that CHKDSK runs into.
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]