NIS 2005 does it poll hourly?

Thread: NIS 2005 does it poll hourly?

Question NIS 2005 does it poll hourly?

problem is my dsl connection is getting dropped almost hourly, this started shortly after my husband and I both installed nis 2005. I can't find anything to tell me and of course norton doesn't give tech support without paying for it.. but I'm trying to find out if there is some setting I'm missing that might be trying to poll almost hourly, that is causing my connection to drop?

DSL connection goes from the dsl modem to a router, then out to our 2 pc.. his is running xp sp1 and mine is on xp with sp2.. they are not networked.

the dsl connection itself is getting totally dropped, but recovers within the minute usually.. without touching anything, it just recovers. Qwest says they are not working on the lines, my signal is fine.. no clue why I'm getting dropped.

I'm in the rule out stage.. turned off NIS and just left the AV running.. still get disconnected.. example, the last 4 disconnects today were at 1111, 1217, 1321, 1433 ... if history repeats, I'll be disconnected shortly after posting this.... why???

Hi there..

NIS can have some strange issues with other programs/broadband connections.. I had a client with the same type of issue.. I uninstalled NIS 2005 and their connection was steady. I reinstalled NIS 2005 on one workstation and the connection was steady again. After testing the one workstation and It seemed okay.. Reinstalled NIS 2005 the other workstation and everything seemed to work.. I also rechecked the cables from the router to the Dsl connection.. Their router had a "keep alive" option and that was checked. I'm guessing NIS 2005 was original installed with some type mis-configuration.. Hope this helps..

thanks.. I have a netgear router.. wonder how I would look for settings for it? 'keep alive' would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Laryl
    thanks.. I have a netgear router.. wonder how I would look for settings for it? 'keep alive' would be nice
    Hm... would it be your netgear router or modem which ever one it is... because recently we have been installing Netgear routers for clients and they all seem to compalin that the internet is disconnecting all the time...

then some would be just problems like, the expiry period for a given IP is set for a few hours in the router of theirs or some are just missing a line filter to a phone so when the phone rings they get disconnected...

The netgear router has been in place long enough, unless it changed on it's own OR is getting called by Norton (new) that's not it... interesting about your clients tho, and I'll use that hint to dig into that corner.
    It's not the phone ringing.. this happens about every hour +5 or 10 mins even if no phone is plugged in.

With Norton uninstalled and on a dialup (I know I know, should have done ONE at a time) connection I went 3 hours with no disconnects. Norton shows all kinds of interesting info hinting at processes that don't look good (drwatson checking like 6 norton exe's ??) ...

I'm reinstalling NIS and trying again..... still looking for help with settings maybe? I'm in over my head with this one

If the problem continues after the reinstallation, try to disable LiveUpdate or to set it to manual mode instead of automatic.

Reading your post has made me realize that my connection problem might be linked to NIS 2005 also (no router used, just an ADSL modem) and the primary focus for me would be that module.

NIS 2005 issue.

Since your connection was solid before NIS 2005 I would rule out the Netgear router causing this issue.. If you want to check your Router for a default timeout value: Here is the procedure for the newer models: You may need your
    manual if you have an older router.
    1. Start your Internet Browser.
    2. Type in http://192.168.0.1 and press enter.
    3. User name box, type admin
    4. Password, type password
    5. Your setup wizard should appear..
    ** from this point on you will have to poke around and look for an idle time out value.. The value can be set higher, or to 0, meaning the router never logs out. Consult your manuals for instructions..

Let us know what happens after you reinstall NIS 2005.

I did find this link on Netgear.. I don't think your router is the issue..
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N100772.asp

I got inside the netgear router, did not see any time out anything..
    I uninstalled NIS (left password manager running) and I'm STILL getting disconnected almost hourly. After the uninstall (and have not reinstalled).. I got disconnected at 1038 and again at 1143

.. off to call Qwest, to be told they aren't doing anything I'm sure.. sigh.
    next?

Questions:

Questions:

1. Okay so, we are ruling out NIS 2005[meaning you uninstalled it and the problem is still there]?

2. What Netgear Model number are you using?

3. I'm assuming you've checked the cables from the Dsl Modem to the Netgear router[maybe take a spare cable and see if that helps]?

4. When calling your DSL provider ask them how to reset your DSL Modem [I can just unplug mine] this sometimes clears issues..

5. Are we still working with one workstation or two because you mentioned in your orginal post there are two workstations that are not networked together?

Sorry for so many questions.. trying to get a picture on how your network is setup.