On a lighter note.... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: On a lighter note....

Quote Originally Posted by amyb
    I'd like to see that happen around the DC metro area.
    Me too.

Although it's not a drive-in, Arlington Cinema 'N Drafthouse is an alternative option. If ya like to eat, drink, and smoke during a film.
    Wives are like jobs,

It's easier to find one when you already have one

On Saturday I've got 7 cubic yards of topsoil to shovel into the garden. Anyone in North West London with a wheelbarrow/shovel welcome!

Sunday definately a day of rest!
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Cool! A lighter note and a voice of reason.
    Me: work, golf, and football (both versions ).
    Coming round for the Birmingham/Liverpool game on Saturday Trip? 10am if you're interested.
    Bollocks

Hmmm. I don't have any plans this weekend. On Saturday night I'm going out with this girl I've been talking to, but other than that, nuthin that I can think of. Maybe some early Christmas shopping would be a good idea. Get it done and out of the way type of thing.
    Hello World

Quote Originally Posted by PuterGeekGirl
    Since its Thursday most likely folks are thinking about what to do this weekend...anyone got any good plans? I'll most likely be painting my kitchen that we are in the process of remodeling......so anyone else doing anything fun?

This afternoon I'm heading out to help a bunch of 4th graders rake leaves for something my son's class is doing!
    Dont break any bones

Floating the horsehair plaster walls in my dining room and then painting them.

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shamus
    What exactly does that consist of? I've got plaster walls in my house but I've never floated them. Sounds like fun.

Does it prevent flecks from peeling off on your roller when you are painting?
    WWBRD?

Quote Originally Posted by imaeditedbysowulo
    What exactly does that consist of? I've got plaster walls in my house but I've never floated them. Sounds like fun.

Does it prevent flecks from peeling off on your roller when you are painting?
    Horsehair plaster is a bit different than modern plaster, it's really gritty. The room I'm working on is circ.1750. There is actually hair tufts in the plaster.... that being said this is what I've done:
    After removing multiple layers of wallpaper, I use sheetrock joint compound and fill the nail holes with a 2-3 inch putty knife (bigger gaps-holes take multiple layers) after it dries I 'sand' it flush with a wet sponge. Then I roll the walls with flat white paint to seal the grit. Then I skim the walls with a 12-14" knife/blade with joint compound and repeat the sponge 'sanding'. Time consuming, but when it's done it looks great.

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    Horsehair plaster is a bit different than modern plaster, it's really gritty. The room I'm working on is circ.1750. There is actually hair tufts in the plaster.... that being said this is what I've done:
    After removing multiple layers of wallpaper, I use sheetrock joint compound and fill the nail holes with a 2-3 inch putty knife (bigger gaps-holes take multiple layers) after it dries I 'sand' it flush with a wet sponge. Then I roll the walls with flat white paint to seal the grit. Then I skim the walls with a 12-14" knife/blade with joint compound and repeat the sponge 'sanding'. Time consuming, but when it's done it looks great.
    That does sound like a lot of work. Guess I'll stick to just painting over the plaster.
    WWBRD?

Quote Originally Posted by imaeditedbysowulo
    That does sound like a lot of work. Guess I'll stick to just painting over the plaster.

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    Well this is more of a November plan:
    I'm actually up here at work where it is a balmy -17F right now, but it is a dry cold... I go back home Saturday afternoon and then I'm off to sunny Seattle for a couple of days of asbestos classes. Back home to Eagle River (Anchorage) on Thursday, then I return to the cozy confines of the Arctic Circle next Saturday for 11 days and back home the day before Thanksgiving for one day before the family and I (sans canines) go to visit the family units in the Southwestern part of the Commonwealth of Virginia (it will be my 1st time back to VA since my Grandfathers funeral in 2001 and the 1st "family visit" since 1994). My MIL is worried about us coming in at that time because it could be a little cold...um riiiiight!
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

I will be preparing myself for the release of EQ2.
    U.S. out of U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by Larommi
    Dont break any bones
    Nah, thats moving when I do that...

The recently broken bone was none to happy about it...but I didn't rebreak it or anything else!
    Failure is not an option -- its a "feature" of Windows.

Mama never told me geekhood was gonna be like this....

Quote Originally Posted by Major Kong
    Well this is more of a November plan:
    I'm actually up here at work where it is a balmy -17F right now, but it is a dry cold... I go back home Saturday afternoon and then I'm off to sunny Seattle for a couple of days of asbestos classes. Back home to Eagle River (Anchorage) on Thursday, then I return to the cozy confines of the Arctic Circle next Saturday for 11 days and back home the day before Thanksgiving for one day before the family and I (sans canines) go to visit the family units in the Southwestern part of the Commonwealth of Virginia (it will be my 1st time back to VA since my Grandfathers funeral in 2001 and the 1st "family visit" since 1994). My MIL is worried about us coming in at that time because it could be a little cold...um riiiiight!
    Sweet deal MK. Good to catch up with the family to swap stories.

Home of the 2004 World Series Champion Boston Red Sox
    Gotta love the old stuff