Distorted Text - LCD

Thread: Distorted Text - LCD

Distorted Text - LCD

Hi all,

I have just upgraded to a new Samsung LCD 710v. Problem is the text appears to be distorted but not sure if that is the right word. It appears patchy and inconsistent, but viewable ( I wish there was a better way off explaining it!!). I have enabled clear font in display settings which has improved a small amount but the text still does not look the quality of what Id expect from an LCD...in fact, my old CRT was much better.
    I have updated both monitor and video card drivers to no avail.
    It only appears to effect text in Outlook Express, IE, File names etc..General pictures etc are ok.
    I was hoping someone out there has experienced this before and know of a possible solution.

Specs

Card: GeForce 5200 FX
    Resolution: 1024x768 - 75 Hertz
    Monitor: Samsung 710v
    O/S: XP Professional

Thank you in advance

Regards
    Skip

Hi Skip,

Your monitor has a resolution of 1280x1024 pixels, running it at 1024x768 will have the result you describe, because the pixels that form the characters don't co-incide between the two resolutions. That is to say, the LCD only has dots to make 1280x1024, at any other resolution some of the dots will be in the wrong place, giving the "jaggie" effect you're seeing.

Change the resolution to 1280x1024 and you should see text become precise, but small. You'll then need to change the font sizes if you want the text larger for easy reading, but it will be high resolution, so will look smoother.

oops...

Hi Platypus,

Thank you very much. I am so incredibly stupid that is the only thing I didn't try. For some reason I had in my head these ran at 1024x768!
    Looking 100 times better now.Your right, its small but very nice.

Were you referring to the font size in display properties? Is there somewhere else these can be changed? The text size via VIEW>TEXT SIZE doesn't really change anything on web pages.

Thanks for your reply

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    Hi Skip,

Your monitor has a resolution of 1280x1024 pixels, running it at 1024x768 will have the result you describe, because the pixels that form the characters don't co-incide between the two resolutions. That is to say, the LCD only has dots to make 1280x1024, at any other resolution some of the dots will be in the wrong place, giving the "jaggie" effect you're seeing.

Change the resolution to 1280x1024 and you should see text become precise, but small. You'll then need to change the font sizes if you want the text larger for easy reading, but it will be high resolution, so will look smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Were you referring to the font size in display properties? Is there somewhere else these can be changed? The text size via VIEW>TEXT SIZE doesn't really change anything on web pages.
    Yes, various things inconveniently control how the character sizes go. Display Properties for Menus, Dialogs, Icon Names, etc, Zoom Level or similar in office applications...

To have Text Size selection generally work in your browser you'll need to disable its response to style sheets. In IE6 for example: Tools/Intenet Options/General, press Accessibility button, under Formatting check "Ignore font sizes specified on web pages". The layout of pages may then not always come out right.

All good..

I gave it a shot but did cause some problems with formatting as you suggested...but did generally work. Actually, my eyes are gradually adjusting and Im getting used to it. I'll keep playing around anyway..

Thanks again mate

Yes, various things inconveniently control how the character sizes go. Display Properties for Menus, Dialogs, Icon Names, etc, Zoom Level or similar in office applications...

To have Text Size selection generally work in your browser you'll need to disable its response to style sheets. In IE6 for example: Tools/Intenet Options/General, press Accessibility button, under Formatting check "Ignore font sizes specified on web pages". The layout of pages may then not always come out right.

No worries.

More on changing web site text sizes: http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/change-text-size.html

If you change the Display Font Size under the Advanced Settings of the Display Properties that could help out under other situations.

Be careful if you do a lot of QT movies, as it might warp the subtitles.

Hi Skip,

Does this "the LCD only has dots to make 1280x1024" apply pretty much to all LCD's ?
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrandDad
    Does this "the LCD only has dots to make 1280x1024" apply pretty much to all LCD's ?
    Yes, any LCD screen will have a "native" resolution where there is a screen pixel (picture element) to correlate exactly with each image pixel. The native resolution is most commonly 1024x768 for 15" and 1280x1024 for 17" 18" & 19" computer monitors (except widescreen). LCD TVs and many data projectors are different resolution again.

At native resolution an LCD delivers an extremely precise image. At other resolutions the image will degrade significantly. Just how much will depend to some degree on how well the screen manages to substitute pixels to the "next best", called "interpolation". An interpolated image will also look worse with a stationary image with straight lines like most productivity software but will be affected much less with a moving image with soft edges, like games or DVD play.

Interestingly enough CRT screens always interpolate - there is no fixed relationship between screen pixels (the phosphor dots) and image pixels. They just interpolate rather gracefully.

Thanks

Maybe I don't want an LCD then unless its maybe like 30" or so

My 17" CRT stays at 640x480 (unless a game or whatever changes it) other wise it gets to hard on the old sight

I guess I'll go back to hunting a cheap CRT to replace wifes .

Thanks again
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrandDad
    Maybe I don't want an LCD then

My 17" CRT stays at 640x480
    Agreed in this case, stick to a CRT.

Except for off-brands, CRTs will start to get harder to find as LCDs take over. For example Sony has stopped making CRT monitors under 21"

But there could be some run-out bargains around. I just picked up an LG Studioworks 17" for AUD139 (RRP AUD199) from a big retail chain - customer returned it as faulty but it just needed the degauss done from the menu. They put it out on a sell-out table because the foam packing was broken up. Brand new so regular 3-year warranty & all.