Setting up AD and DNS help please?

Thread: Setting up AD and DNS help please?

Setting up AD and DNS help please?

I want to setup Active directory on our network so we can run RIS. I haven't ever configured an AD what is the best way to set up? Also DNS what is the forward lookup zone and reverse lookup zone and how do you configure these? TIA. With all these questions I might just need a book eh?
    Can't never did anything except whine about what he couldn't do.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.

http://www.northernaurora.com/page/index.html
    http://www.northernaurora.com/page/chat.html Free Chat

the best way to set them up if you havent done this before is to use the setup wizard in the 'configure your server' dialog that pops up on installation. play around a bit and see what does what, but if you really want to know how it all works, the MCSE books are good (if expensive)

as for DNS, a simplified explanation is that iit 'resolves' a name such as 'www.google.com' or 'server' into an ip address. this is required for active directory to work properly. forward dns is resolving names into ip addresses, and reverse is looking up ip addresses to find thier FDQN (fully qualified domain name)
    "they're funny things, accidents. you never have them untill you're having them" - Winnie The Pooh

forward lookup zone.. www.whatever.com --- > IP
    Reverse lookup zone... IP ---> www.whatever.com

If you setting something up like that, i would STRONGLY recommend getting a book and read up on it before you start. Setting up AD is point and click now days, but maintaining it and fixing issues is not so simple. It's important to understand how everything interacts with each other.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

If you are performing a fresh Server installation new machines on a network without a domin. The Server configuration Wizard as indicated by "Six Eyed Smily" Is the best way to go. However, If you are inserting this server into an existing domain, there are several varibles that come into play that will need some extra configuration steps.

If you can give us a few more details about the network layout. We can give you a very basic idea of the steps necessary for implementing an Active directory domain controller.
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]

I would assume it's the network at work. If you already have a NT4 domain and you want to upgrade it to AD search for some threads here. Also, based on my own experience and others' experience as well, I would *NOT* keep a network with a single DC. $hit *DOES* happen, it's just a matter of time. Make sure you have a good backup of everything before starting and have a roll-back plan. The good upgrade path is not the one suggested by M$, where you upgrade your current PDC, unless you have no other choice. If you are starting from the scratch the path is easier, but you are losing any existing accounts and share permissions. What is your current configuration?
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Oh, and as Matridom said: make sure you know exactly what you are doing before you start doing it. Experiment on a isolated virtual network (VMware, Virtual PC) before implementing any changes in the "live" network. This way you will know what to expect.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

It sounds like you are very new. DNS is integral to the function of AD, so a firm understanding is essential before you begin. While the mechanics of settuping up the AD are relatively simple, the details are what will get you. To make sure you have very few problems, I would recommend studying up for a while, get a handle on the functions and sturctures of DNS, and find someone to help you. Especially if this is a production environment, you don't want to learn as you go.

Good Luck!