i got this for him:
    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/n...nywhere_Master

but the video quality was really bad so i sold it

is there any other way to do it?

thanks
    http://www.kaysdomain.com

here is some good info:

VHS to DVD

There are some other capture boards that can do it, but if you want quality you'll have to spend a lot. Alternatively if you have a digital camcorder you can use it for conversion.
    A high quality movie starts from 4-5000kbps video data rate, anything under that will have a "block" effect.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Wasnt there a really good device that HP launched a year ago? It was really good for VHS-->DVD conversions.

Borrow a friends DV camcorder and copy the tapes to DV tapes. Then capture the movies and burn to DVD with Nero 6. Works well for quick and dirty(relatively good copy).
    "It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine!"

Nero's encoder sucks. The only 2 encoders that I have seen delivering a good quality are TMPG (when properly set) and Cinemacraft (this one kicks a$$).

The obvious answer...

Quote Originally Posted by ngc4414
    hello everybody

my grandfather wants to convert old VHS movies to DVD

i got this for him:
    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/n...nywhere_Master

but the video quality was really bad so i sold it

is there any other way to do it?

thanks
    DON'T!!! Why bother to put all of this effort into something completely redundant? The tape has a longer lifespan than recorded media. Don't waste your time, effort or money.

This is akin to people wanting to convert their entire movie library to DVD. Why have crappy looking video on DVD? If you want longevity, stick with the tape...

And if necessary, get Gramps a new VCR. Maybe even a DVD/VCR.

Kenny P.
    Visualize Whirled P.'s

Quote Originally Posted by kpataska
    This is akin to people wanting to convert their entire movie library to DVD. Why have crappy looking video on DVD? If you want longevity, stick with the tape...
    huh??? what have you been smokin??? stop it, it's killing your brain! (proof above)
    Recordings on magnetic media (especially analog ones!) lose their quality in time, compare a fresh recording with a 10yr old one! And consider the wear which also leads to worse worse picture each time you play that tape. By converting to DVD you "freeze" the quality. And a DVD can be watched or copied over and over virtually without any quality loss. If the conversion is being done with a good encoder there is almost no difference in quality.

Try this product. It works really well for me.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    huh??? what have you been smokin??? stop it, it's killing your brain! (proof above)
    Recordings on magnetic media (especially analog ones!) lose their quality in time, compare a fresh recording with a 10yr old one! And consider the wear which also leads to worse worse picture each time you play that tape. By converting to DVD you "freeze" the quality. And a DVD can be watched or copied over and over virtually without any quality loss. If the conversion is being done with a good encoder there is almost no difference in quality.

I think what he is talking about is the quality of the dvdr media. I have heard a lot of talk of dvdr media not lasting very long at all. Something 6months to 2 years!!!!

If you are really interested in doing this however I would recommend : http://www.videohelp.com/

They can give you a good idea of what you need for your perposes.... But again garbage in = garbage out. A bad recording on vhs is still going to be a bad recording on dvd.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

sometimes computer geeks can't see the forest due to the trees.

$280.00 SOLUTION, all in one:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...62055%3A124623

$160.00 SOLUTION, requires the use of your existing vcr. will need a "video cleaner" in-line to make "archive back-ups of retail vcr tapes" (this is the way to go for that purpose, the all-in-one can't do this) :

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...62055%3A124623

=)
    "hardware pounder"

I have the Hauppaugge WinTV PVR 350, I have it connected to my VCR and cable
    I seem to be getting interference in the picture even with a good coaxial cable
    I have tried the svideo input, my vcr only has an rca composite so I use an adapter
    All I get is a black and white picture that looks slightly out of tune
    My system is built on an Asus p4c800 delux , Asus video card Gforce fx 5700 with 256 megs of memory on it
    My system is a p4 2.4 ghz with 1 gig of micron ram, I have an 80 gig sata drive by seagate
    There are two optical drives, Each on it's own controller, One is the dvd burner and the other is a combo drive
    I have the audigy 2 sound card
    My OS is Windows xp pro
    When I first installed the tuner card it seemed to be clearer than it is now, I have tried differnt DVD authoring software, I even find that the Win TV application gives me the pixelated look and I have played with the settings
    I am going to try replacing the drivers and see what I get, I ran the direct x setup
    I may even try different video drivers
    Does anyone have any ideas before I suspect aa noisy capacitor on the mother board
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

VH s to DVD

I have tried several video interface devices, including the Dazzle DVCII. The best I have found is the Data Video DAC-100. It has Analog and Fire Wire inputs and outputs. It does, however, require Firewire input on your computer. It is at least as good as sending it through a digital camcorder, and probably better. It does not include software, but works with most any software which reads the Firewire port such as My DVD, Adobe Premier, etc. The biggest problem with it is that it is not well known, as you wont find it in Comp USA, Circuit City, etc. Search Google to find a supplier. It does its job with no fuss. It is about $200.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tjj
    sometimes computer geeks can't see the forest due to the trees.

$280.00 SOLUTION, all in one:
    That's the solution for people who want no trouble and don't care that much for quality. It does not allow for video and audio noise reduction, which are obvious on a VHS tape. Off-line noise reduction has astonishing results, although it may take a huge amount of time. Also off-line processing can fix the color degradation that occurs in time.

Um....

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    Apparantly you're the one smoking some illicit substance and can't handle it...

Ever hear of CD rot? Big article this week on Slashdot about how mag tape is out living CD-Rs and DVD+/-R's. If you burn it, don't expect it to make it past 10 years. I have VHS tapes I made that are still quite viewable 20 years later. My compressed IV/V/VI Star Wars (all on 1 6hr tape sans needless intro and credits) recorded in 1984 is still the same quality it was the day I recorded it.

Do some reading and know your facts. We are heading for a giant loss of digital media. The best suggestion for pictures? Make prints. The prints will last a hundred years plus if stored with care... Too bad we can't print negatives from digital...

Kenny P.
    Visualize Whirled P.'s