Proliant 3000 will not power on
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Proliant 3000 will not power on

Proliant 3000 will not power on

Sup all?

Working on a pet project trying to get this thing running: Proliant 3000 P6/333

completly dismantled it looking for shorts or obvious problems but no gain there.

Symptoms: Press power buttion LCD only shows the LCD firmare info (version ect) redundant power suplie fault light blinks green, fans spin up, light blinks yellow a couple of times, then back to green followed by solid green, fans turn off, fault light goes out. count to 30 do it over again.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by RejectionMan; November 5th, 2004 at 11:00 AM.
    Powered by: AMD Opeteron 175, 2 GB Mushkin XP4000, eVGA 7800 GT CO OC SLI, Creative X-Fi, WD25000 RAID 0, Plextor 716-SA, Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Enermax Liberty 620, Zalman 9500 HS

Banned
    Without a spare power supply to test you’re stuck, I'd say that's the first place I would start looking.

Also, you mentioned the fans spun up, but did you check to see that all of them were? When the CPU fans don’t spin up on some of these Proliant’s, the system will power down for safety reasons. Usually you would get a video output, and see an error on screen, but still worth a check even if you’re not getting video.

Looks like power supplies for that unit still exist, can be got for anywhere from $50 up over $80. Just do a google search.

all the fans spin (CPU one right of the bat, chassis ones allitle slower, they usualy dont get up to speed before it cycles off)

don't know if its worth $50 (given the way the excange is going it could be soon though)for a RPS seing as how i got the thing as junk and loaded it into may car instead of the pallet for recycling.

Ill keep my eyes open for another unit, cool coffee table as is though!
    Powered by: AMD Opeteron 175, 2 GB Mushkin XP4000, eVGA 7800 GT CO OC SLI, Creative X-Fi, WD25000 RAID 0, Plextor 716-SA, Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Enermax Liberty 620, Zalman 9500 HS

I'm at work now, so I can not check Ebay to confirm this, but it seems like you could get a power supply for this pretty cheap.

Have you contacted Compaq yet with this question? We use all Compaq servers here, so I have contacted them quite a few times in the past for server support. They typically respond to my e-mail within a few hours, but sometimes it may take longer. I have had good luck with getting the correct answer the first time from them. Here's a link for Proliant 3000 support:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&lang=en&cc=us

Click on Contact Support down at the bottom to e-mail them, then Contact HP - United States or Worldwide, etc. etc.
    Last edited by Pinnacle; November 6th, 2004 at 02:33 PM.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

Dho stupid me....

Close all lids to make on switch work who the hell puts in more than 1 power interupt??

ARGGGG! I feel likea moron.

up side got another whole box for same price a ebay RPS after shipping and exchange so now i run redundant everything after i get more mem and disk. BTW original RPS and SCSI backplane were hooped, replacements work great.

Quote Originally Posted by RejectionMan
    Dho stupid me....

Close all lids to make on switch work who the hell puts in more than 1 power interupt??

ARGGGG! I feel likea moron.

up side got another whole box for same price a ebay RPS after shipping and exchange so now i run redundant everything after i get more mem and disk. BTW original RPS and SCSI backplane were hooped, replacements work great.
    Don't feel stupid. I did the same thing with a Proliant 1500 once upon a time. I'm sorry I did not remember that so I could have suggested that as a solution.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

aren't compaq servers surprisingly good? i remember thinking when i was asked to set up a compaq server the first time...man, who would buy a compaq server? i was pleasantly surprised...that server has been running 24/7 for 3 or 4 years now without a hiccup.

Quote Originally Posted by geeksRus
    aren't compaq servers surprisingly good? i remember thinking when i was asked to set up a compaq server the first time...man, who would buy a compaq server? i was pleasantly surprised...that server has been running 24/7 for 3 or 4 years now without a hiccup.
    Since all my company uses is Compaq servers, I really can not compare with anything else. They must compare pretty well though, because our problems are almost non-existant. The location I work in has about 15 Compaq servers ranging from old Proliant 2500, 1600, and 6000 models to new Proliant ML370, ML570, DL380, etc. It's really unusual to have a problem.

ours are droping disks like there is no tommorow, so were replacing them with DELL's.

got this one because the RPS went bad, and the the SCSI backplane has "issues"

all better now. (2 servers into 1 = no more bad parts!)

other questions:

now have 2 P2 333 processors, what do i have to do to make it not say invalid processor configuration?

and

are the EDO DIMMS propritry? i can't deem to get my old dell stuff to fit, notch seems one pin off.