converting VHS to DVD - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: converting VHS to DVD

In all cases it comes down to quality of the media and storage conditions. Questionable media stored poorly will give bad results, digital or not, archival grade materials cared for appropriately can last generations.

Analog videotapes are subject to their own causes of deterioration, such as print-through (self erasure), separation of the oxide layer from the substrate, fungal attack. Vast quantities of magnetic media, audio and video tape, have become or are becoming unusable worldwide. Someone who has old VHS tapes still usable is fortunate to have used stable media and stored them well, the same will apply to digital recordings for the future.

Printed media will have its life governed similarly by the stability of dyes and pigments, the acidity of paper, temperature & humidity of storage etc.

Even black vinyl records can maintain pristine condition for many decades stored well, or have their playing surface destroyed by fungal attack in the same way that some types of CD rot occurs.

The big advantage digital material has is that multiple copies and copies across generations can be made without degradation, but unless appropriate use is made of this feature, the advantage is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    The big advantage digital material has is that multiple copies and copies across generations can be made without degradation.
    That was exactly my point. Even if it starts to degrade, if you find one single device that can read it you are saved. The process is irreversible for analog media.
    And the audio-CD rot (that I am familiar with!) is not the best approach to criticize, data is stored on CD's in a different format than music, using strong error-correction codes. Furthermore, those rotten CD's had a thin alluminum layer, while recordable media has a 'slightly' different layer.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpataska
    My compressed IV/V/VI Star Wars (all on 1 6hr tape sans needless intro and credits) recorded in 1984 is still the same quality it was the day I recorded it.
    I can only assume that you either have a professional VCR and professional-grade tapes, or a VCR so bad that you can't see the difference... or maybe 20 years have wiped some memories...
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    That was exactly my point. Even if it starts to degrade, if you find one single device that can read it you are saved. The process is irreversible for analog media.
    And the audio-CD rot (that I am familiar with!) is not the best approach to criticize, data is stored on CD's in a different format than music, using strong error-correction codes. Furthermore, those rotten CD's had a thin alluminum layer, while recordable media has a 'slightly' different layer.

I can only assume that you either have a professional VCR and professional-grade tapes, or a VCR so bad that you can't see the difference... or maybe 20 years have wiped some memories...
    Not professional by any means in 1984. Two mono VCRs hooked together. One playin'... One recordin'... No Macrovision!

My VCRs are opened and cleaned with Freon yearly. Not that they see any use other than being tuners these days.....

What memories? I HAVE NO STEENKIN' MEMORIES!!!

Kenny P.
    Visualize Whirled P.'s