PC Card Wireless Problem

Thread: PC Card Wireless Problem

PC Card Wireless Problem

This one has me stumped!!!

Here are the details: I have a friend that has a wireless network at his house. All of the PCs have have USB wireless adapters that WORK. This friend has kids so he had a PC and a laptop that were COMPLETLY FULL of spyware and viruses so i agreed to format both of them. After the format on the PC, I hooked up his WIRED NIC on the MOBO to MY ISP and did an WIndows Update (it does not have SP2). I took the PC back to his house, hooked up the USB wireless adapter and everything worked perfectly.

After the format of the laptop, I hooked up his wireless PC card to MY ISP and did a WIndows Update using MY wireless network. I have a different ISP than he does (I have cable, he has DSL). Once I took the laptop back to his house IT WOULD NOT WORK. The connection in the systray says "Network cable unplugged". After many agonizing hours of trying to fix this I attriubted the problem to an IP address conflict (i tried /release /renew and a host of other IPCONFIG commands). I gave up, formated the drive again and took it to his house WITHOUT installing the wireless PC card. The laptop had NOT seen the internet. At his house I installed the PC Card and IT STILL DID NOT WORK. Same problem (network cable unplugged).

I took the laptop home, turned it on and BAM, it hooked right to my wireless network and got on the net without any problem.

Anyone know possibly WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?

thanks

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    OK, if you are running windows XP, you don't need to install the linksys software, only the driver.

What happens if you scan for available networks, does it actually see the wireless network? If so, what happens when you attempt to connect?

I am running XP Pro. If i scan for availalbel networks here is what happened: One time it found the network, one time it did not, BOTH times it would not connect. It still gave me the message about the network cable being unplugged.

What rights do you have assigned to the account? I'm having a problem connecting to my wireless network w/ user rights assigned, but it works fine w/ administrator rights.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Permissions/rights is not the problem. This is a newly formated drive and i am loggin on as admin. I am totally stummped!

Quote Originally Posted by zz28
    Permissions/rights is not the problem. This is a newly formated drive and i am loggin on as admin. I am totally stummped!

Are they using wep? Have you double checked the key? Try the usb adapter in a different port?