Motherboard with AMD XP and ISA slot

Thread: Motherboard with AMD XP and ISA slot

Post Motherboard with AMD XP and ISA slot

I need a suggetion for a motherboard that will support XPs and has at least 1 ISA slot. I've been using my ABIT KT7A for a little over a year now and I really like it but the new model doesn't have any ISAs. Can I get an XP to work with an older ABIT KT7A?

Gigabyte has one........can't remember the exact model. GA-7IXE????? I have one left in the shop and it will do a XP2000+ and has 1 ISA sot.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Thanks Doc, Is this it - GA-7ZXC? The one you mentioned is a slot A. I've read that my board can work with an XP. I'd rather just buy revision 3. The Gigabyte board and the ABIT are using the same chipset. How do I determine if I'm getting v.3 when I buy a new board (I'd like to stay with the ABIT since it's a possiblitity).

"There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

Thanks, Lycia, but that board doesn't have an ISA slot.

[quote]Originally posted by Mope:
    Thanks, Lycia, but that board doesn't have an ISA slot.

Well, damn, so it doesn't!! Funny, I never used the CNR slot, it's covered by a USB lead..so I just thought it was an ISA slot...

Sorry, by the by, why the need for ISA?
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

I'm still on dial up and I also run Linux. I have a few USR v. everything modems and I haven't been able to find any PCI modems that are affordable and usable. I found out that the latests revision of my ABIT board will support XPs but it's a shame that I can't get the new features; like support for DDR memory. I can't imagine that I am the only user who needs ISA slots and I wonder why we're being cut off. An adapter would be trick.

BTW - Lycia, I couldn't figure out how to find you on Gamespy (I got my copy of Rogue Spear). What am I supposed to do?

I'm still on dial up and I also run Linux. I have a few USR v. everything modems and I haven't been able to find any PCI modems that are affordable and usable. I found out that the latests revision of my ABIT board will support XPs but it's a shame that I can't get the new features; like support for DDR memory. I can't imagine that I am the only user who needs ISA slots and I wonder why we're being cut off. An adapter would be trick.

BTW - Lycia, I couldn't figure out how to find you on Gamespy (I got my copy of Rogue Spear). What am I supposed to do?

USR PCI modem should be around $25-50..at least here in SF...

AS for Rogue Spear, do you also have the Urban Operations and Covert Operations Add-ons? If not, run out and get them. In Game spy, once you log in, you will see a listing of games on the left hand bar..running top to bottom. Click on the Urban Ops icon, if you have UO. You will then be in the lobby for UO. In the middle box will be a listing of the rooms. Below that is the chat box with a listing of the players that are currently either chatting or playing..A small rocket next to the name denotes players actualy playing the game. If you right mouse click in the player listing you will get a pop up menu. Click on the Find Player. Then on the box that pops up, type in my game spy name, Sliver170x. CLick find or search. My name will pop up and you can then message me to add me to your list. But please! Tell me now what name you are going to use, I get a ton of requests and unwanted advances, so if I don't recognize a name I ignore it...Also, I am on MSN Messanger, under [email protected] if you having problems look me up...

Again, my gamespy name is Sliver1701X. Not Silver, but Sliver, as in a sliver of wood..
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

Lack of ISA is due to this wonderful thing called as progress. It moves slow as a glaciar at times, but is also as impossible to stop as one. When you realize that ISA has been around since the beginning of IBM compatible PC time, it's like a dinosaur living in a muclear world. I'm sure you all have heard about the new Abit series that comes with USB 2.0 and Firewire, and no PS/2 parallel or serial ports. Progress, my fellow man, progress. That's it, I'm done, goodnight everybody!
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

I meant "nuclear"
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

Thanks Lycia, I'll look you up in a few days. My logon should be mope or some derivative of it. Unfortunately, those $25-50 modems are crud now. USR doesn't make the modems they used to.

Let's not forget the things that work in the name of progress!

Linux doesnt need a isa modem (hardware) can be pci just use set serial to setup the modem. Most all new boards dont have isa slots anymore.

Bummer, someone already made an adapter! ISA to USB adapter
    Anyone around here know how to make something like this?

Lightbulb

I haven't seen anything on a USB-to-ISA adapter, but I have seen PCI modems made by Actiontec that have Linux drivers included.
    They used to be around $80, I think they have started to come down recently.
    Hope that isn't too far over-budget.
    When all else fails.....FDISK!