Cannot DHCP or DNS

Thread: Cannot DHCP or DNS

Cannot DHCP or DNS

Okay, my wife's PC has been hit with some spyware that reroutes traffic through their proxy to track where you go. I've eradicated it with Giant, but now it won't get an IP address using DHCP. It gets no IP address basically.

I can set one manually and successfully ping the router/switch and another computer on the home network. I cannot ping by name.

The only IP address that is assigned is 169.254.135.15, mask 255.255.0.0. Tech support for the PC said this was indicative a physical layer or server problem. I think they are wrong, because if I go to a restore point prior to Nov. 10th, IP and DNS resolution work.

The private address should be 192.168.5.102, mask 255.255.255.0. Gateway is 192.168.5.99. If I manually set the IP address, then I can successfully ping any IP, but I cannot ping by name. It won't resolve DNS even though two valid DNS IPs are configured for the IP protocol.

I've tried reinstalling the NIC via device manager and using the PCs original CDs. The next thing that I'm trying is the removal/reinstall of the NIC.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Danny

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Check and make sure there are not any entries in your hosts file.

(windows\system32\drivers\etc\)

You might have damaged winsocks...happens alot when removing spyware. There are utilities to fix this...the one I use doesn't have a homepage (Least none that I can find) so you can either search majorgeeks.com for it or you can download it from my website. You'll have to get it on the computer some how since it doesn't have net access, but it's small enough to fit on a floppy. Run it, reboot, and if that was your problem then it should be fixed now. Good luck!

Winsock Fix

Removing and re-installing tcp/ip protocol can help overcome some wierd problems too.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

click here for a link to the winsock fix programs it is in the first message at the end. chose the one that is for your OS
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "I've always been crazy, it has keep me from going insane"

The address you are receiving is an APIPA address (Automatic Public IP Address). It is from the default range assigned by Windows when it cannot reach the DHCP server. Causes can include (In the order I've personally experienced them most):

Physical cabling or HW issues (IE the NIC)
    Routing issues (Doesn't sound like you're on a routed network)
    Server issues (I'm guessing its a linksys or somesuch that is acting as your DHCP server, so if your other machines are getting address this is not the issue).
    A problem in the TCP/IP stack, we all seem to be agreed this is the place to look for your issue.

Hopefully the links that have already been posted will help you fix it, I just wanted to give you a little basic information on why your provider (Or whoever it was that did your first level support) pointed you in the direction they did...

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Here's the fix: http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

All is well. I HATE SPYWARE, MALWARE, VIRUSES, WORMS and SPAM!!!! I hate Windows for making all of this possible. Looking forward to Longhorn when all these problems will be solved. (Yeah, right!)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ddspell

All is well. I HATE SPYWARE, MALWARE, VIRUSES, WORMS and SPAM!!!! I hate Windows for making all of this possible. Looking forward to Longhorn when all these problems will be solved. (Yeah, right!)
    So true, Longhorn heck that will be broken into before its finished being coded

Quote Originally Posted by ddspell

Windows itself isn't the problem as much as Internet Explorer and Outlook are. Try the Firefox/Thunderbird combo and see if things don't settle down a bit. Also, are you running any kind of firewall? You'll expose yourself to infections again within 15 minutes (so say the estimates) without a firewall.

My system is a Sonicwall firewall running NAT. No ports available inbound and only needed ones available for outbound. Antivirus updated nightly automatically and weekly checks of spyware occur. Never had a downtime yet.

Also, we run Firefox for the majority of web browsing only IE if absoultely necessary.

IMHO, Longhorn will not be the savior for anything. I for one will never install it, especially if they incorporate all of the DRM they are talking about. Linux is going on my network as I write this.
    Last edited by shanff; November 16th, 2004 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shanff
    Windows itself isn't the problem as much as Internet Explorer and Outlook are. Try the Firefox/Thunderbird combo and see if things don't settle down a bit. Also, are you running any kind of firewall? You'll expose yourself to infections again within 15 minutes (so say the estimates) without a firewall.
    <snip>
    IMHO, Longhorn will not be the savior for anything. I for one will never install it, especially if they incorporate all of the DRM they are talking about. Linux is going on my network as I write this.
    Yeah, I know. I'm using Firefox right now on a Mac. I use it at work on Windows XP Pro.

We use a mail proxy service at work. It works great. Blocks all the viruses, SPAM and offensive content. We also have a Cisco Pix firewall. At home, I'm NAT'ed behind a Linksys router/switch with its firewall, not to mention the firewall on my Mac. Right now, even though my wife's PC is fixed, I need to install an updated vesion of McAfee AV, so the PC is turned off.

Thanks for the advise. I've endured a lot with my years of Windows crap. I was being facetious with regards to Longhorn. I'm not expecting it to be all that it is billed to be.

Regards,
    Danny

1) checkto see if the dns and dhcp services are starting correctly when the pc boots up.

2)ipconfig /release /renew on the current nic card

3)ipconfig /flushdns

4) ipconfig /renew

5)check to see if the router is allowcating Ip's correctly.

6) reset router

7) repeat steps 2-4
    "When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but with creatures of emotion".

Dale Carnage, 1888-1955, American Lecturer