READ: Lexmark accused of installing spyware

Thread: READ: Lexmark accused of installing spyware

READ: Lexmark accused of installing spyware

A Usenet news group has claimed that Lexmark is installing spyware on its customers' computers. Allegations have been swirling around an online newsgroup this week that printer manufacturer Lexmark has been installing spyware on its customers' computers.

Reports on the comp.periphs.printers Usenet newsgroup claim that Lexmark has been planting spyware on its customers' PCs in the form of undocumented software that monitors the use of its printers and silently reports back to a Lexmark-owned company Web site.

One user said that after initially denying the allegations, Lexmark acknowledged installing tracking software that reported printer and cartridge use back to the company for survey purposes. He claimed that Lexmark said no personal data was taken by the program, and that it was impossible to identify anyone by it.

View:
    Full Story
    News source: ZDNet UK

Oh well, I guess my X83 is going to be the last Lexmark printer I bought.

Shame too, as I really liked the quality/price ratio from that company.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Never liked lexmarks. Epsons were always good, but expensive, and ink finished quickly, HPs are good for cheap refills and use, but I cant get my HP to work in only B/W, it has to use Color, in the Settings too I cant choose B/W.

Agreed never liked dam lexmarks ever
    crappy printers all in all
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Strange.

My last 4 printers were all Lexmarks and I really liked them all.

Service was exceptionally good and fast the 2 times I needed it.

Phone support to get updated firmware once, and a 24h turnaround RMA for another product.

And this was for a private owner, not a business.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    Strange.

My last 4 printers were all Lexmarks and I really liked them all.

Service was exceptionally good and fast the 2 times I needed it.

Phone support to get updated firmware once, and a 24h turnaround RMA for another product.

And this was for a private owner, not a business.
    I like the Optra series of laserprinters. I was even able to pick up a L second hand and it worked Nicely untill Lightning toasted the fuser. But the Insurance company gave me $3k for the printer that I paid $75 for and another $1800 for the pc that was being used as a print server. I miss that ol work horse. the salvaged IBM 4019 that got most of the optras innards just dosent keep up in the PPM. Oh And I have a few X22's that I got on clearance at walmart for $10 I just yanked the ink and resold the printers on ebay - the ink for $15-20 good times
    WOTPP Recruit.

http://www.lp.org/ http://www.badnarik.org/

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    A Usenet news group has claimed that Lexmark is installing spyware on its customers' computers.
    & this surprises you how ? (well not you personally Techz, but the world in general) Its not just lexmark who are at this - read those flipping EULA's very carefully !!

Its stuff that gets installed without you being dumb enough to just click 'next' & mutter 'hell yeah just do it' that you've got a legal right to get upset about - but some clearer wording on EULA's & a few more tick boxes confirming each bit rather than all would be much better morally, using folks inability to comprehend or fish through some legal mumbo-jumbo, to 'sneak something extra & useful to us but not you' in, is just plain bad ..

lets hope the big evil corps decide that its finally time to start telling us "clearly" when they install stuff that we might not like later on.