difference athlon XP vs Sempron

Thread: difference athlon XP vs Sempron

difference athlon XP vs Sempron

does anybody know what the difference between the athlon XP and and the sempron socket A's. thanks
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "I've always been crazy, it has keep me from going insane"

In a nutshell, semprons are duron replacements.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-239-1.htm
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

thanks
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "I've always been crazy, it has keep me from going insane"

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    In a nutshell, semprons are duron replacements.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-239-1.htm
    No they ain't they are xp chips with a few features less, & the xp line of chips is replaced by amd64 as 'flagship' & the renamed xp chip gets downgraded, which upon reflection is nearly the same I guess !

Tbred B based Sempron

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040728/
    Acc to THG, the semprons are Duron's Successor. Maybe not exactly but thats the idea.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...610024204.html
    AMD are aiming Sempron at the budget market against the Celeron D

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2139
    Budget Computing

Ooo sorry techz .. caught up in my word games & the various possible meanings again .. what I'm trying to say is semperons are rebadged xp chips & the duron line is effectively dropped, which is near enough what Adept said in the first place ! & I'm just being a 'picky git'

semperons are rebadged xp chips & the duron line is effectively dropped
    Which is basically what Durons were, left over chips, badged as budget chips, Good Recycling @ AMD.

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Which is basically what Durons were, left over chips, badged as budget chips, Good Recycling @ AMD.
    It was my understanding that since the Duron debuted around the same time at the Athlon it was not a leftover chip...but a planned manufacture of a chip with less cache. When they came out they were much faster than a higher clock slot Athlon as I remember.

Joe
    AMD Athon 64 X2 4400+, Corsair XMS Pro XL 3200, XFX 7800GTX OC, Raptor 74GB 10k RPM, Abit Fatality A8N SLI

nope, i remember reading numerous reports stating that AMD had wasted alot of chips (due to some bad design's early on) and found a use for them, calling them Durons, to compete with Celerons.

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    nope, i remember reading numerous reports stating that AMD had wasted alot of chips (due to some bad design's early on) and found a use for them, calling them Durons, to compete with Celerons.
    I find it hard to believe that AMD would have a light pop on and say hey...you know all those wasted Athlons...lets make them an econo chip. There are tons of "rumors" that float around the net...maybe they were able to rebadge SOME...but that kind of production could not be met by using old Athlons...and as far as just using the design...they had announced the Duron...it wasn't a spur of the moment roadmap i'm pretty sure. Either way...Duron was a huge success IMO.

Joe
    AMD Athon 64 X2 4400+, Corsair XMS Pro XL 3200, XFX 7800GTX OC, Raptor 74GB 10k RPM, Abit Fatality A8N SLI

ok, i accept, but i think it started out as rebadging old Athlons and since they sold well, they created a new product lin.

Sempron 2500+

All I know is I purchased a Sempron 2500+ and the motherboard and Windows reads it as an Athlon XP 2500+ with 512K Cache. It doesn't appear to have any less features than Athlon XP. This may change however when the current stock is run out. I also heard that Semprons will all be socket 754 pretty soon which will be Athlon 64's with less cache and 64bit capabilities disabled.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Quote Originally Posted by BOB IROC
    All I know is I purchased a Sempron 2500+ and the motherboard and Windows reads it as an Athlon XP 2500+ with 512K Cache. It doesn't appear to have any less features than Athlon XP. This may change however when the current stock is run out. I also heard that Semprons will all be socket 754 pretty soon which will be Athlon 64's with less cache and 64bit capabilities disabled.
    Bob, that is indeed the case. Not all Semprons Athlon XPs rebranded, though this is the case with the 2800+ and under (Athlon XP, half the cache). The 3100+ is the socket 754 chip and is basically the Athlon 64 with the 64-bit abilities turned off. The 64-bit memory controller is still functional of course, running at 3.2gbps like the other 754 chips.

Heres a link that should explain it pretty well.

http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/processors/sempron/

Shal
    Common sense, isn't...

To my knowledge, the Duron was its own design originally (scaled down Athlons [cache] but otherwise the same chip). Kept production costs down.

Along the way, left over full fledged Athlons were sold as Duron's to reduce inventory. Good financial strategy. Since only difference was amount of cache,
    they figured (correctly) that any end user that ended up with one of the "replacement" chips would be no worse off, hardly since it was a better chip to begin with.

Shep

I've just uppgrade from a XP 2500+ (Barton) to a new Sempron 3000+.
    This particular socket A Sempron model IS a Barton in disguise, boasting a full 512k cache. (Tom's Harware CPU chart)
    However the clocking settings on the Sempron 3000+ (runs at 2.00 Gmhz) are not the same as a XP 3000+ (runs at 2,16 Gmhz)
    and the voltage is a bit lower on the Sempron 1,60v instead of 1,65v so it should run at a bit colder temp.

I ended up with a performance gain in the range of a XP 2800+.