[RESOLVED] Problem with ISA NIC. Please help.

Thread: [RESOLVED] Problem with ISA NIC. Please help.

zuggzugg

Resolved [RESOLVED] Problem with ISA NIC. Please help.

To free up my last PCI slot, I recently went out and bought and ISA NIC for use with my cable modem. I installed the card and everything was fine. However, when I tried to play a video file (didnt matter which type) my computer would reboot itself and run scandisk. I took the ISA NIC and put back my PCI NIC and everything worked again. I was able to duplicate this everytime. I am also getting a conflict in my Game/Audio/Video devices.. I was wondering how I could fix this?
    The ISA works perfectly on my computer EXCEPT for when I try to play a vid. Maybe a link to some generic drivers. Oh yeah, the card has no support documentation on it.. :-(
    Even though I only spent 10 bucks on it I would like to be able to use it. I really need to free up my last PCI slot.

Thank You
    PIII 500
    128mb ram
    ATI Rage II 8mb
    17gb HDD
    Win 98

Teh first thing i would look for is to make sure its not sharing resourses with your sound card. and just for the heck of it i would change the resourses the nic uses and see if the stuation changes

zuggzugg

How would I go about distributing what resources are being used by the card? Explain.....

thank you.

Go to control panel, system, device manager, network adapters, find your adapter there, double click on it, then go to resources, uncheck automatic settings, there will be a box under that with basic configuration 0000, 0001, etc. try a different setting. Restart and see what happens.

There is a setup utility on the floppy that came with the ISA nic. It allows you to set the resources, I/O and IRQ. You must run it from DOS. A safe region to set it would be:

I/O 0280
    IRQ 10 or 11

If you have PCI using IRQ 10 & 11, try disabling a com port and using that IRQ.

Good Luck,

Charlie
    "Oh Bother," said Pooh, as Windows crashed for the umpteenth time.