Are you...

View Poll Results: Do you feel embarrassed about the amount of food on your plate in USA resturants?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always - they serve too much

3 9.38%
  • Nope - it's value for money

18 56.25%
  • Never thought about it

11 34.38%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you...

Are you...

embarrassed about the amount of food that is put on your plate in a resturant? Do you think to yourself that an entire family would consider themselves well fed from just what you leave on your plate?

Reading the hamburger thread, I just wondered if anyone ever eaten an entire "american serving" at a resturant?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I personally don't eat a lot at meal-time, but I do know what you mean. When I go to a restaraunt, the amount of food they serve for one person is completely insane. I mean,.. we're talking like 3K calories per meal at a restaraunt it seems.
    Hello World

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    You guys are just picking on us fast metabolism types. I burn like 400 calories just thinking about the work that it takes to eat the food that is in front of me.

Part of the dining experience is to feel satisfied. Making the portions bigger, assures the restaurant you are satisfied, and are more likely to return..
    Sergeant WOTPP

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician
    You guys are just picking on us fast metabolism types. I burn like 400 calories just thinking about the work that it takes to eat the food that is in front of me.

Part of the dining experience is to feel satisfied. Making the portions bigger, assures the restaurant you are satisfied, and are more likely to return..
    Let me guess,... you are under 25 years old?
    Hello World

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    embarrassed about the amount of food that is put on your plate in a resturant? Do you think to yourself that an entire family would consider themselves well fed from just what you leave on your plate?

Reading the hamburger thread, I just wondered if anyone ever eaten an entire "american serving" at a resturant?
    NooNoo, just what is an "American" serving?

Whether or not I eat the entire serving depends a lot on the quality of the food and the serving size. My wife and I almost always take home a doggy bag and eat it later on.

Oh by the way since I had a molar and a wisdom tooth extracted on the same day last September, I managed to get an infection in my jaw and have lost nearly 20 pounds because I can't eat (chew). I feel as if I could eat an entire dead cow. I seriously do not recommend this as a diet plan!
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

45. Quit smoking when I was 40. Thought for sure it was Blimp city. Gained a few lbs. but the metabolism just goes and goes.
    Sergeant WOTPP

[QUOTE=jitBob]NooNoo, just what is an "American" serving?

Whether or not I eat the entire serving depends a lot on the quality of the food and the serving size. My wife and I almost always take home a doggy bag and eat it later on.

QUOTE]

I think if you went over the pond to a restaurant, you would feel cheated. Like eating off the kiddie menu here. Our portion sizes are way different.
    Sergeant WOTPP

I wouldn't say "embarrassed", but it would be close. So, I will tick that choice.
    I remember when I went to Disney World for my bday and when returning to the room and passing the leftovers from room service at one room,I said to my friend "Look at all that food just wasted. " There are many folks in the world who would have done almost anything to eat what was left on those plates and be better off than they are now.
    btw:
    check my sig.

I think it has less to do with people actually wanting to eat a huge portion, as the perception that the restaurant is providing a good "value". You can also see it in some of the dinner specials - in addition to the entree, you get soup, salad, vegetable, dessert. My wife and I find ourselves turning down some of the items or taking them home.

That said, I am amazed at the quantities of food that I see some people eating at buffet style "all you can eat" restaurants.

Also, the size of the portion also seems to be inversely related to the price of the meal. With the exception of steakhouses, fancy restaurants serve you elaborated decorated food in tiny portions.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician
    45. Quit smoking when I was 40. Thought for sure it was Blimp city. Gained a few lbs. but the metabolism just goes and goes.
    Wow,.. I'm impressed. Usually peoples metabolism's slow down as they get older.
    Hello World

I can't really vote in the poll because it mainly depends on what I'm eating. All you can eat seafood (shrimp and crab legs), I will pretty much eat until I physically can't eat any more. Other all you can eat places, I'm usually good at stopping when I'm full instead of stuffing myself until I about burst. I also normally will eat a salad at a buffet before eating anything else to help limit my intake of other stuff.

Now, at a non-buffet restaurant, I'll normally end up taking some of my main entree home and eating it later. If they want to give me enough food for two meals, that's fine, I'll eat the rest of it later.

Fast food restaurants are the only places that I don't like how much food I get. Most of the time I'll eat all my sandwich and about half of my fries. I also pretty much never "supersize" because I know that I won't be able to eat everything.
    "I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn."

Potential Bumper Sticker: "Wiggle your mouse, it's just a screensaver."

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    I don't. I usually eat everything that I am given in a restaurant. If I don't, it will usually go home with me and become tomorrow's lunch.

If they want to lower portion sizes, that's fine, but prices better go down as well. I know food is wasted by extraordinary amounts here in the US, but giving me a smaller plate of food in a restaurant is not going to help a starving child in another country, it will just pad the restaurant's pockets a little more.

Pretty rare when I don't leave with a 'doggy bag'.

Banned
    I love places that serve too much, I then know that I am only going to eat half, don't try to force it, then box it up and take it home. Noticing that more and more I get actually two meals for the price of one is great. Also, fajitas for one has become the perfect size for a couple while drinking margaritas and eating chips and salsa.

So yeah, once you notice how much you should eat and then can take home. The value is just so much better.

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by shamus
    Pretty rare when I don't leave with a 'doggy bag'.
    Aye the same here...yesterday's dinner becomes today's lunch.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.