Are you... - Page 3

View Poll Results: Do you feel embarrassed about the amount of food on your plate in USA resturants?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always - they serve too much

3 9.38%
  • Nope - it's value for money

18 56.25%
  • Never thought about it

11 34.38%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are you...

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    The portions in US resturants are much larger as a rule than in the UK. What I found incredible was the size of the pizzas! We asked for two medium pizzas between 6 of us - they lasted us for 3 meals!

And no we don't boil everything - we do some roasting as well
    i can eat a pizza hut medium by myself...what does that say about me?

Quote Originally Posted by geeksRus
    i can eat a pizza hut medium by myself...what does that say about me?
    Nothing your avatar hasn't already said.

Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

I find that I rarely leave an American resturant without a container with half my meal in it. They serve alot, but I wouldn't pay the prices they charge for a smaller plate.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silencio
    Nothing your avatar hasn't already said.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    The portions in US resturants are much larger as a rule than in the UK. What I found incredible was the size of the pizzas! We asked for two medium pizzas between 6 of us - they lasted us for 3 meals!

And no we don't boil everything - we do some roasting as well
    ya 2 mediums last 2 days in a family of 5 at my place

also depends on if we ate that day or not, I usally eat 1 or 2 meals a day

Quote Originally Posted by +Daemon+
    ya 2 mediums last 2 days in a family of 5 at my place

also depends on if we ate that day or not, I usally eat 1 or 2 meals a day
    Our family needs 2 larges, or 1 medium and 2 dozen hot wings.....but then again, I have a family of 6!

I was a 28" waist and weighed 9 stone 4 lbs (130 lbs) when I moved here and couldn't eat a 1/4 of a burger at Bennigans...

Fast Forward 6 years to 2004.... 32" waist and close on 12 stone (just checked, 156 lbs) I can polish off a medium pizza, box of wings and half a box of dominos dots at one sitting. I haven't been back to Bennigans in a while, but I'm sure I could eat the burger, fries and half of the table now

I put a lot of the weight gain down to exercise - or lack of it. Back home I walked everywhere (eg every night I'd walk 1 mile to the pub and stagger home for 2 miles ) played football and hockey (the ice variety) and was just generally healthier. Now, I drive everywhere, never walk and only play hockey once a week. All my own fault I know, but my work hours are a nightmare for getting to the gym. Good job I've just started a diet the week before Thanksgiving (d'oh )

Thank gawd I got the go ahead from Mrs Titchski to put the feelers out about working back home next year
    Bollocks

Stop complaining about how much food American's eat. It ain't the quantity it's the quality. Now who wants them a weinie smoothie?

Personally, I order the meal I want; my wife orders less than she wants and then takes a share of mine. For example - if we're both ordering sandwiches I'll order mine with a small side salad and fries, she'll order the sandwich and the small side salad and no fries. Then she'll take about 1/4 to 1/3 of my fries during the meal. For breakfasts we'll order mine with meat and hers without, then split the meat course between us.

We never EVER order two desserts. One dessert, two utensils.

How big are American meals, like has someone got some pics?

and how big are those medium pizzas. pics too please

medium pizzas here would feed one of my children........just

Large pizzas do not feed myself and my hubbie only huge family sized expensive ones.

What price are pizzas in America.

I do not eat out at retaurants, besides there being none good in town I am too critical of my food. Being a great cook myself, I expect a high standard of food to be served up if I am out.
    I hate paying 100 dollars for a teeny tiny meal of Garlic Prawns, when I could make the same at home for under 20 and make it taste so much nicer. I resent paying good money and not getting value for it.

Your servings sound tempting, the small portions of food here in the area is part of my whinging bitching.

and i suppose really with my six kids, restaurant eating for the family is out for the next ten years.....unless I win the lottery.

Here in Australia, the food is starting to get better with the influx of migrants from all nationalaties. Yum yum, they have bought so much wonderful foood with them.
    I will say one thing, true Turkish and Lebanese Kebabs are the best and tastiest takeaway value for money.
    Lebanese Bread, Piled high with rich tasty meat, lettuce, tomato, cheese and onion along with a touch of chilli and BBQ sauce....yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

Here in New York a large pizza is 18" ($10.50) and a small is 16" ($9.50). Add $2.00 for the first topping and $1.50 for each additional. A large will feed our family (2 adults/3 kids).

New York is not typicial of the rest of the States, which is mostly Pizza Hut/Domino's territory. According to Domino's, their large is 14" and their medium is 12".
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayet
    What price are pizzas in America.

Lebanese Bread, Piled high with rich tasty meat, lettuce, tomato, cheese and onion along with a touch of chilli and BBQ sauce....yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Local pizza shop sells you 2 large (16-inch) pies with xtra cheese for $12, and they're pretty good.....toppings extra, of course.

Geez, I haven't even had breakfast yet, and that little menu of yours just made my mouth water!
    It is too late to fix America via the Republicans or Democrats, and too early to start shooting the bastards.

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis

WOTPP Light Air Support Wing

We have Dominos, Pizza Hut, and serveral Italian restaurants, all with different definitions of a "large" pizza......The best bang for the buck (imho), is a local shop that sells carry out pizza only. Mediums (14") with Pepperoni are $8.00 and Large (18") for $10.00

Another good deal is a local Italian shops weekend party pack. You get a Large (16") pepperoni pizza, 13 hot wings and 2lbs. of baby back ribs for $20. Feeds my family of 6 just right. When we get pizza from anywhere else, I always grab hotwings from a local bar for myself, cause honestly, I really don't like pizza. I could go the rest of my life without another slice, and I would be just fine with that.

My family of 6 usually eats a large pizza and 2 dozen wings, but there is usually a cut or two of pizza and a few wings left.

I was just thinking about this the other day... and honestly it doesn't bother me. I usually eat ewhatever they give me anyways... what really cheeses me off... even though it sounds cold or whatever... I'm sick of all these commercials on TV about children in Africa and other places... maybe we should take care of our own first? spend the money on the homeless people in our country first... and I hate the "guilt trip" attitude they have on those comercials.... I refuse too be manipulated by some bald guy talking in a wimpery voice about kids who need your help... and honestly I find it insulting... I know it's "bad" to think like that... but that's how I feel... when someone says "think about how many people in africa your leftovers could feed" I usually say "then ship it to them" with flavourful explitives added for some flare... I can't help how I feel, no matter how cold it may seem to anyone else. I don't feel I need to donate my hard earned money to make myself feel better about my existance, I already have purpose and I don't need charity so far away when we people who live with us in our country who need it just as much if not more... blah..... sry to rant... I'm just tired of it all...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

'Tis part of the beauty of living in our part of the world Arch: free speech, and plenty of handouts for those in need. It's called the Social Welfare State. Many parts of the world have no such thing and depend upon those who do care just for subsistence. Don't be so hard on those who do care, eh. ;-)