The Death Penalty - Does it Work? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death Penalty - Does it Work?

For a minute I thought freddy was back.
    But damn, what about this:
    Kunkle, 38, and several friends were high on drugs and beer and looking for someone to rob when they offered Stephen Horton, 31, a ride home August 11, 1984. Kunkle, then 18, shot Horton in the back of the head with a pistol; the victim had $13 in his wallet.

Three companions received prison terms ranging from 30 years to life.

Defense lawyers said Kunkle was raised in a troubled home and left mentally scarred by parents who had been treated for depression.

The case is Kunkle v. Texas, 04-7271.
    What a freaking crock!!!Freaking lawyers!!! I mean, what? Mom and dad were taking depression meds and now it's a freaking defense???

btw Don, how ya coming along on the script?
    And, when do you have ultimate closure?

So any idea when they'll actually execute?

Hope this brings some closure for all involved!
    Failure is not an option -- its a "feature" of Windows.

Mama never told me geekhood was gonna be like this....

For 3rd time, S.A. killer down to last hours

A San Antonio man who killed a father of two during a drug-fueled joyride to Corpus Christi is for the third time scheduled to die by lethal injection today.

Attorneys for Troy Kunkle sought another stay of execution for the former Roosevelt High School student. The U.S. Supreme Court halted his execution twice last year, but both times decided against considering the case.

Kunkle, 38, has spent nearly all his adult life in prison for the murder of Steven Wayne Horton on Aug. 11, 1984.

Then 18, Kunkle got drunk and dropped acid before shooting a man during a stickup that was part of a joyride with four friends. After the killing, he chanted lyrics from the Metallica song "No Remorse."

The ecstasy experienced by Kunkle has been agony for the father of his victim.

"I've completely lost all faith in the court system, not necessarily the local district attorney's office, but I'm talking about the appeals courts in all these things," said Nolan Horton. "I don't understand it. I don't know how some of these people got there. They just make stupid, crazy decisions."

The most recent halt to carrying out Kunkle's death sentence came Nov. 18, when the Supreme Court stopped the execution about 40 minutes after Kunkle could have been strapped to the death chamber gurney for injection.

Last month, the court lifted its order, though Justice John Paul Stevens wrote that he believed the sentence was imposed unconstitutionally.

Two days later, a judge in Corpus Christi set Kunkle's new execution date.

The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals last week refused to halt the execution. On Monday, Kunkle's attorneys launched new efforts in state and federal appeals courts.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    I hope it goes through this time DonJ, if nothing else, to give you and the others involved some closure.

Banned
    NEver thought I would say this, but if we had Bush back, would that ****er be fried already?

The issue that seems to escape you people is that an execution does not only punish the condemned, it also punishes the family members on the condemned side.

Now, the condemned is a lowlife piece of crap who doesn't deserve the air he breathes, can the same be said for everyone else who will suffer from the execution of this piece of trash.

Is it not good enough that he will be locked away for life?

Not for the sake of the condemned, but for the sake of any others who will be negatively affected by the execution.
    Last edited by D65536; January 25th, 2005 at 03:04 PM.
    That's the worst looking hat I ever saw. You buy a hat like that I bet you get a free bowl of soup. It looks good on you though.

Would it be better if they knew he led a miserable life in jail for the rest of his years?

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Would it be better if they knew he led a miserable life in jail for the rest of his years?
    Quite possibly.

At least the "family" won't be put through the rollercoaster ride of moving execution dates, false hope and such.
    Last edited by D65536; January 25th, 2005 at 03:52 PM.
    That's the worst looking hat I ever saw. You buy a hat like that I bet you get a free bowl of soup. It looks good on you though.

Quote Originally Posted by D65536
    The issue that seems to escape you people is that an execution does not only punish the condemned, it also punishes the family members on the condemned side.

Now, the condemned is a lowlife piece of crap who doesn't deserve the air he breathes, can the same be said for everyone else who will suffer from the execution of this piece of trash.

Is it not good enough that he will be locked away for life?

Not for the sake of the condemned, but for the sake of any others who will be negatively affected by the execution.

Then perhaps the family that would be crushed by this piece of trash being executed should pay for the cost to keep him alive and be held responsible if he gets out and kills again..... Yes I know I'm an extremist but...... tough....
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by Shard92
    Then perhaps the family that would be crushed by this piece of trash being executed should pay for the cost to keep him alive and be held responsible if he gets out and kills again..... Yes I know I'm an extremist but...... tough....
    It costs more for all of the appeals involved with executing the trash.

The lawyers are the only winners in that situation.

Did the family pull out the gun and commit the crime?

obviously the penaty dosent work, how ever in this case who is paying a penalty here?

not the condemed, certainly the family and friends of all involved, but the tax payer pays big time. 20 years imprisonment costs us a lot of $$, let alone all the leagal fees from al this wrangling around. this is the reason that they executed people back in the day, it cost too much to keep you around when you were to dangerous to put in a chain gang.

we need to see a return to this methodology, in conjunction with justice system reform (Back to the Future 2 comes to mind "The justice system moves swiftly since they abolished all lawyers"). either your earning your room and board in prison (paying back society rather than free laoding), or you have no privlages what so ever, or your on death row.

at the very least we will see cleaner streets, and public facilitys that aren't covered with graffiti (case we have whole crews of peop's that can paint it every day if need be!)