The Death Penalty - Does it Work? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Death Penalty - Does it Work?

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ
    Taking someone's life, anybody's life, should not be taken lightly.
    I agree with this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ
    Society has deemed it necessary to kill for several reasons. War and protecting one's homeland and security come to mind.
    I agree with this statement also.

I also believe that police officers who are in danger of their life are justified in using deadly force.

All these things are a responce to imminent danger.

When someone is incarcerated, they are no longer a danger.

So in my opinion, the danger is neutralized.

So why get blood on your hands for the sake of a piece of trash animal like that when it is not nessicary.
    Last edited by D65536; January 26th, 2005 at 06:14 PM.
    That's the worst looking hat I ever saw. You buy a hat like that I bet you get a free bowl of soup. It looks good on you though.

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D65536
    Execution of somebody is FINAL. It can not be undone.

If an innocent person is imprisoned, there is always hope of exoneration.

Look at what you are saying. Is life really that worthless to you?
    What I'm saying is that putting an innocent person in jail is just as bad as killing them. The psychological damages done to a person are irreversible, just as killing them is.

That said, a person who has been caught stealing or committing any other crime 5-10 times in their adult life is completely worthless to me and I have no problem with them dying.

I don't think it's ok to kill someone if their is any doubt that they were the ones to commit the crime, but when it's clear that a person has no desire whatsoever to be a productive member of society than I have no desire in feeding and clothing and sheltering them in a jail for their entire life.
    WWBRD?

Quote Originally Posted by imaeditedbysowulo
    a person who has been caught stealing or committing any other crime 5-10 times in their adult life is completely worthless to me and I have no problem with them dying.
    Death for stealing?
    You are sick.

Hell, that would clear out most of Baltimore city here.

We have a lot of people here that never had a chance to live in a decent society, violence, drugs, gangs, schools that don't work. Not all these people are bad. Growing up in an environment like this, where your only role model to look up to is the dude slingin crack down on the corner. Nobody wants to give these people opprotunities. There is no one around to tell tell these people that they have a future(anyone who they would believe anyway). People are not born bad. They are shaped and molded by their environment. Nobody cares.

Ever been down and out?

Ever live on the street?

Do you know how much of a trap it is once your livin in the gutter and nobody wants to give you a chance much less the time of day.

Sometimes good people do bad things.
    When you are broke, dick in the dirt, don't know what you can do in a cold hard ennvironment, it is easy to do the wrong thing.(sometimes nessisary to get by)

Now some thing are abolutely not excusible, rape murder and such.

When you have low expectations for people, normaly they meet those low expectations.

You can't expect to make any difference in this bigoted society just taking care of the punishment side of the problem. You need to attack it from the root of the problem, like getting rid of poverty.
    Nobody seems to care about that.

Nobody asks to be born into f**ked up situations, but it happens.

One of my best friends would have fit into your category when he was younger.
    He is fine now. Would you have him killed? Are you willing to do it personally?

Who gets to decide when people deserve to die? You?
    I don't think you realize what you are really saying.
    That's the worst looking hat I ever saw. You buy a hat like that I bet you get a free bowl of soup. It looks good on you though.

Its easy to judge someone else. We all do it. We dont realize that we could never know the entire situation. Its human nature. But we hope that the system of courts are reliable enough to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by D65536
    Death for stealing?
    You are sick.

Hell, that would clear out most of Baltimore city here.

We have a lot of people here that never had a chance to live in a decent society, violence, drugs, gangs, schools that don't work. Not all these people are bad. Growing up in an environment like this, where your only role model to look up to is the dude slingin crack down on the corner. Nobody wants to give these people opprotunities. There is no one around to tell tell these people that they have a future(anyone who they would believe anyway). People are not born bad. They are shaped and molded by their environment. Nobody cares.

Ever been down and out?

Ever live on the street?

Do you know how much of a trap it is once your livin in the gutter and nobody wants to give you a chance much less the time of day.

Sometimes good people do bad things.
    When you are broke, dick in the dirt, don't know what you can do in a cold hard ennvironment, it is easy to do the wrong thing.(sometimes nessisary to get by)

Now some thing are abolutely not excusible, rape murder and such.

When you have low expectations for people, normaly they meet those low expectations.

You can't expect to make any difference in this bigoted society just taking care of the punishment side of the problem. You need to attack it from the root of the problem, like getting rid of poverty.
    Nobody seems to care about that.

Nobody asks to be born into f**ked up situations, but it happens.

One of my best friends would have fit into your category when he was younger.
    He is fine now. Would you have him killed? Are you willing to do it personally?

Who gets to decide when people deserve to die? You?
    I don't think you realize what you are really saying.
    I live right next to the gutter. I see these people every day. It is not possible for me to come home without passing at least two homeless people. They regularly have signs that read 'will work for food'. Have you ever stopped and offered them money to work in your yard or help you carry stuff or dig a hole? I have. I've made the offer too many times to count. You know how many have ever accepted the offer? Zero.

Do I feel pity for these people? Sure, but if they would rather sit on a corner and take handouts than try to work to better their conditions I'm not gonna waste my time worrying about them. I don't think they should be killed or anything like that tho as long as they aren't bothering other people.

Thieves are a totally different story. I don't give a d*mn what their conditions were when they were born. I know lots of people that have come from f'd up childhoods and are still messed up in the head, but they don't go around stealing from people.

As for when to kill them, I think 5 or 10 times getting caught in their adult life is a good number. I'm 31 and so far I have never been caught stealing anything. Know why? Cuz I've never stolen someone else's sh*t.

I'm a victim of my surroundings too. Fifteen years ago I had totally different views, but after having a car stolen, a motorcycle stolen, my house broken into in broad daylight while an alarm was blaring the whole time, my garage broken into too many times to count, and having windows smashed out of my truck for a stereo that didn't even work, and too many other instances to name or remember, my views on what should be done to thieves has changed somewhat.

To answer your question, yes I would be willing and would look forward to doing the executions myself. Pulling up to your house and seeing your door wide open and all of your personal sh*t thrown all over the floor or seeing a pile of glass sitting next to your car or an empty spot where your car used to sit will do funny things to you after so many times. Tolerance and compassion have been replaced with rage and indifference.

At the very least they should be castrated so that they are no longer allowed to reproduce and bring more thieves into the world. Thieves cannot be rehabilitated when there is no real consequence to their actions. Put a real consequence in place and they will stop stealing.
    WWBRD?

At the very least they should be castrated so that they are no longer allowed to reproduce and bring more thieves into the world. Thieves cannot be rehabilitated when there is no real consequence to their actions. Put a real consequence in place and they will stop stealing.
    So you are implying that theivery is genetic? You can inherit it from your parents? If that is the case, then there is a fundamental problem for killing someone for doing something that he is genetically programmed to do..and yes, I have had apartments burglarized, cars vandalized and stolen, etc.

I live right next to the gutter. I see these people every day. It is not possible for me to come home without passing at least two homeless people. They regularly have signs that read 'will work for food'. Have you ever stopped and offered them money to work in your yard or help you carry stuff or dig a hole? I have. I've made the offer too many times to count. You know how many have ever accepted the offer? Zero.

Do I feel pity for these people? Sure, but if they would rather sit on a corner and take handouts than try to work to better their conditions I'm not gonna waste my time worrying about them. I don't think they should be killed or anything like that tho as long as they aren't bothering other people.

It's pretty nice of you not to want to kill someone for being homeless..especially since the mental health programs that kept a lot of these people off the streets have been dropped for lack of funding..and it's pretty damn hard for a paranoid schizophrenic to find honest work when he cant get his meds.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Quote Originally Posted by imaeditedbysowulo

Thieves are a totally different story. I don't give a d*mn what their conditions were when they were born. I know lots of people that have come from f'd up childhoods and are still messed up in the head, but they don't go around stealing from people.

As for when to kill them, I think 5 or 10 times getting caught in their adult life is a good number. I'm 31 and so far I have never been caught stealing anything. Know why? Cuz I've never stolen someone else's sh*t.

I'm a victim of my surroundings too. Fifteen years ago I had totally different views, but after having a car stolen, a motorcycle stolen, my house broken into in broad daylight while an alarm was blaring the whole time, my garage broken into too many times to count, and having windows smashed out of my truck for a stereo that didn't even work, and too many other instances to name or remember, my views on what should be done to thieves has changed somewhat.

To answer your question, yes I would be willing and would look forward to doing the executions myself. Pulling up to your house and seeing your door wide open and all of your personal sh*t thrown all over the floor or seeing a pile of glass sitting next to your car or an empty spot where your car used to sit will do funny things to you after so many times. Tolerance and compassion have been replaced with rage and indifference.

I have been robbed at knifepoint, and gunpoint. I have had my car broken into, my stuff stolen. I have been burglarized. I have been jumped and had the poo beat out of me.

I still don't wish these people killed.
    I get angry. I want to do bad things to these people.

But I don't. It's one thing that seperates us from animals.

We have a choice not to retaliate for our own selfish feelings.

Let me tell you about one situation.
    Someone broke into my car and stole a 100cd book. I found out who did it, but I didn't have any proof. I confront the dude and demand my property back. He said "I didn't do it". I know he did it. Let me get to the point. This guy stole my stuff and there wasn't anything I could really do about it. So I would wish he was dead. I would imagine how good it would be if he would just drop dead, how that is what he deserved. I was angry.

About a year later, this dude ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time, in a room where a couple people came in and gunned everyone down.

So, now he is dead.

I think about it now. He didn't deserve to die. His family didn't deserve to go through the agony of such a senseless loss.
    Do you think I should go to this dudes brother and tell him, "It's ok, he deserved what he got because he stole from me"? That seems to me kinda what you are suggesting.

Maybe this situation dosn't "directly" apply to this, but it covers some of the same ground.

I am not saying evryone out on the street is a "good person". I think it shows ignorance when you so easily suggest to condemn a person to death.

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    So you are implying that theivery is genetic? You can inherit it from your parents? If that is the case, then there is a fundamental problem for killing someone for doing something that he is genetically programmed to do..and yes, I have had apartments burglarized, cars vandalized and stolen, etc.

No it's an environment thing. Your parents either raise you to be a decent person or they don't. It's that simple in my eyes. A thief isn't going to raise a decent kid, he's going to raise another thief. Stop the cycle somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by d65536
    I think about it now. He didn't deserve to die. His family didn't deserve to go through the agony of such a senseless loss.
    Do you think I should go to this dudes brother and tell him, "It's ok, he deserved what he got because he stole from me"? That seems to me kinda what you are suggesting.

Maybe this situation dosn't "directly" apply to this, but it covers some of the same ground.

I am not saying evryone out on the street is a "good person". I think it shows ignorance when you so easily suggest to condemn a person to death.
    I don't think that one instance of stealing justifies a person's death, but if that guy had a history of that and regularly stole from other's for his own gain, I have no problem at all with him no longer being on this earth. Maybe that's ignorant, but I don't make enough money or have the patience to be an enlightened person.

I make enough money to pay my mortgage and my monthly bills and then have about 250 bucks a month to spend as I wish, whether it be going out or buying something that the house needs like a roof (mine is leaking heavily right now). Having your house or car broken into once or twice a year starts to be a costly thing. If I report it to insurance, it's a minimum of 500 bucks out of pocket and the chance of being dropped and/or having rates jacked up. Not reporting it saves on the insurance but can be expensive as thieves are rarely careful about not damaging stuff. When my house was broken into, I didn't even have the back door locked (forgetful) but they smashed out the window of the door anyways. Stupid thieves don't even check to see if a door is locked.

So yea, someone that steals for a living can go ahead and die a miserable death and burn in h*ll for all I care. Everywhere I look I see thieves. Go on ebay and you can find 50 auctions on any given day that are scams. They need to die or have some fear of getting caught stealing put into them, cuz the system we have in place right now doesn't do jack sh*t to discourage them from continuing on stealing from people.

I just want to make it thru one calendar year without having my house or garage or car or work vehicle broken into. That's not too much to ask. It's been 12 years since that has happened.
    WWBRD?

the problem with theviery goes goes alot deeper than your common low-lifes these days. The entire system is like theft. Insurance was mentioned. The intent of insurance to to provide coverage in case something bad does happen to your home/car, but nowadays making a claim means policy hikes and more money out of your own pocket in the end, and youhave no choice but to have insurance because its' the law (auto). To succeed in business you have to be cold and ruthless. In our society if you're a nice guy willing to help people around you, you will be taken advantage of, this is what i think is the cause of most of our problems today. People just aren't willing to help each other out anymore, it's all about themselves these days.
    Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
    Sun-tzu (~400 BC), The Art of War. Emptiness and Fullness

Did I just read what I think I just read?
    "It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine!"

maybe, but maybe it read you

Loss of material things does not warrant a persons death.

It is the devaluation of a human life that is part of the problem.

Death is a common occurrence where life is cheap.

Banned
    Be like the mideast and cut the ****ers hand off

That doesnt happen everywhere Cleetus. And trust me, from what I'm hearing nowadays, even that isnt scaring them, or preventing them from doing quite horrible things.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus
    Be like the mideast and cut the ****ers hand off
    Being part of a so-called "civilized" society means we are above doing things like that.