Workstation won't power up

Thread: Workstation won't power up

Angry Workstation won't power up

I have a compaq workstation which was donated to a charity I help. It is a nice machine and I am trying to set it up as a standalone machine. However it will not power up. They actually donated 4 and three are great they have fast scsi in them with which I have limited knowledge. This one the HD was disconnected when we received it. Fans run and hard drive light comes on then goes amber but no beeps or monitor activity. I connected the HD, same symptoms. I disconnected the scsi totally hoping to throw it into bios. Same symptoms except the HD light is continually red. I need any suggestions you may have.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    If you're getting no video, you need to start looking at other hardware. Try swapping video card, ram, power supply. Try booting machine with no cards in it, no extra devices hooked up and all cables unhooked from the mainboard.

After swapping all the above, I would guess processor or mainboard.

If you can come up with a good Compaq model number, that would help out a lot.

HP Customer Support

Enter your model or product number, click the box for Solve a Problem. Once that comes up, there should be a link under Self-Help for Manuals, Guides, etc. You should be able to find a Service Manual for that Compaq workstation.

Good Luck!

Newly transported PC's with problems I always remove and replug memory chips and processor. 90% success rate if it's been moved then stopped working.

If the drive was disconnected when you got it then I'd guess it's bust!
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Quote Originally Posted by gazzak

If the drive was disconnected when you got it then I'd guess it's bust!

I agree, seems like they tried to fix it and probably failed, but maybe it is something simple. so keep us informed and armus with some more info
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Got a little more information. The unit is Compaq Professional WS ap550 733MHz. I will be trying to do a check on all connections this afternoon. First question " at the moment I have the scsi cable disconnected will this or a dead bios battery prevent me from getting a start up to the point of a post and bios access?" I do believe the HD is bad and would like to take that out of the equation first.
    Last edited by robertdwhite; November 22nd, 2004 at 12:44 PM.

One first thing to look at if your not getting no video, is to look at the video card. Try swaping out the video card and see. Look and see how the other harddrive is connected and connect it the same way. If your not getting video the harddrive have nothing to do with it. The PC can boot up without any HD connected to the system. Now if the PC have a on board video then you will need to obtain a video card and try it.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboymarc
    One first thing to look at if your not getting no video, is to look at the video card. Try swaping out the video card and see. Look and see how the other harddrive is connected and connect it the same way. If your not getting video the harddrive have nothing to do with it. The PC can boot up without any HD connected to the system. Now if the PC have a on board video then you will need to obtain a video card and try it.
    Great suggestion. I will be at the unit today and try the card. I will also check all the others above.

Another thing to check is the voltage setting on the power supply. MOST power supplies let you set them at 120V or 240V or something close to that. I have seen more than a few computers switched by a prankster. Even if it is on the correct setting try switching it back and forth a few time. Might sound crazy but I have had it work in situations like yours more than a few times.

Thumbs up

Thanks I will check that as well. The two other higher priority machines gave me a round today so will be a day or so before I get back to that one. I will try each of the above and let you know the results.