Error 0x80040256 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Error 0x80040256

Unhappy

[QUOTE=yea1234]when i try and play something in windows media player or nething i get this error

"You either do not have a sound card installed on your computer or it is not functioning properly. If you do not have a sound card installed, you must install one before you can listen to audio in a digital media file. If you do have a sound card installed, refer to its documentation to troubleshoot the problem.

Error ID = 0x80040256, Remedy ID = 0x00000000"

how can I fix this?

i am not computer literate.My daughters PC broke so used the recovery discs but now all ok escept i have no sound. can anyone help me please?

Aside from repeating the original posters' query, you have provided no information about your computer. Did you READ the posts that followed the opening post?

Sometimes, if you can't ascertain that info, Everest helps:

Download and run Everest Home (it is free):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Once you download it, click on it and let it install and then run it from the icon on your desktop and then click on 'Computer' then on 'Summary', then go to the VERY top of the screen and click on 'report', then 'quick report-summary' and then 'plain text' and save it then go to C:/programs/lavalys and open that folder then open Everest Home sub-folder and then reports sub-folder and click on the report.

This will open it in a text editor (probably Notepad) and then use your mouse to highlight ALL the debug stuff at the bottom of the report and delete it and then save that file again and then copy and paste it to here.

Question problem

hi i keep on having this problem where i seem to have no sound, but all the drivers are installed and the software seems to be working, but still no bloody sound. could you plz help me. however i do have a clue as what it could be it might be that my speaker are inbuilt in to the screen itself

Welcome to Windrivers tian1chen

Do you get the same error message that this thread is about?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

sound card problem

hey i have a sound card, but says has problems or is not installed
    please help bit o a nube so detail will be appreciated
    my laptop is a ASUS A6BOOU

Welcome to Windrivers ricosolo

Asus is undergoing site maintenance at the moment, but have you been to Asus and downloaded the sound driver? Have you tried reinstalling the sound from the driver disk Asus supplied with your notebook?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

same problem

I am having the same problem with no sound. I have an hp pavillion dv5000 (ES186AV), my audio adapter is Conexant Cx20468 @ ATI SB400 - AC'97 Audio Controller, I have windows xp professional, and ihave a yellow question mark with an exclamation mark next to other devices in my device manager. I hope someone can help, thanks!

Welcome to Windrivers dispatch886

Click here for your sound drivers

What other devices have ! next to them?

hey thanks for your quick response and warm welcome!

installed the sound card MUSIC IS WORKING!!! thanks so much

However, I also need to download the wireless network driver, as of right now i do not have wireless internet, although I have a wireless card. Thanks!

Glad to help, assuming you are using the HP supplied wireless, the wireless driver is on the same page, just scroll down to "Driver - Network". The broadcomm wireless lan driver is the first on that part of the driver list.

hey I downloaded the driver but it still isnt working, my wireless isnt even turning on....

OK, there is a hardware switch which prevents the wireless working. Is is switched on? Also I noticed that there are two possibilities for your laptop, broadcomm or intel.

If you look on the bottom of the laptop, there should be a label with s/n and p/n and a service code - what is that code?

s/n - cnd6284j9g

p/n - es186av

And the service code?

everything with the internet is all set thanks so much for your help !