Adsl2+

Thread: Adsl2+

Adsl2+

Hello!

I've just ordered ADSL2+ (24Mbit/s). The company that offers me this service will provide me with a modem which has a built-in switch for 4 computers. The problem is that it doesn't feel very secure, I want a hardware firewall and I don't know how to get it working. Is there any model (which is for home use i.e doesn't cost too much) which can protect all PCs? Or should I just put an SPI-box protecting my PC and letting the other PCs stay open? (one of them runs Linux, so it's quite secure, the other one runs Windows but is only a gaming PC, it is my PC which is most important to secure).

Thanks!
    PS. I have 5 IPs so I don't need a router
    Last edited by Bjorne; November 29th, 2004 at 05:37 AM.

alotta ADSL modems coming out now already have a built in hardware firewall. You just manage it thru a webpage interface.

do you know the make and model of the modem they're giving you?
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

not really but I heard from another user that it's a modem merged with a 4 port switch i.e no firewall

UPDATE: ok I've hard it may be a "XAVi-7002 r"
    Last edited by Bjorne; November 29th, 2004 at 04:54 PM.

damn the world is getting ADSL2 and here I am begging for basic ADSL. Sheesh, I hope things shape up soon here in teh Gulf.

Registered User BlueShadowDemon's Avatar
    I'm not really familiar with all the benefits of ADSL2 but 24mbits!? Wow, I cant imagine this being very cheap? Anyone care to give me the lowdown on ADSL2?
    AMD athlon XP 1700, 320 MB Ram, 40 gig hd, ATI Radeon 9700 w/128mb RAM ... awaiting upgrade

"ADSL2+: The ADSL2+ standard doubles the maximum frequency used for downstream data transmission from 1.1 MHz to 2.2 MHz. This effectively provides downstream data rates of 25M bit/sec on phone lines as long as 5,000 feet."

it is 399sek/month which is about 60USD

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorne
    "ADSL2+: The ADSL2+ standard doubles the maximum frequency used for downstream data transmission from 1.1 MHz to 2.2 MHz. This effectively provides downstream data rates of 25M bit/sec on phone lines as long as 5,000 feet."

it is 399sek/month which is about 60USD

Stop gloating! I pay that for 4mb cable service. God the US sucks for technological advances. We invent it, but everyone else runs away with it and makes it better while we are stuck with the first generation beta of something. Sheesh

haha, US sucks in tech? try living where i do Augurr! you'd go crazy for net speed!

coing back to the point if you just plug one of the ports from the modem/switch into a router/firewall that would do the trick. any standard broadband router/firewall combo will do (as long as it has an rj45 wan port not an rj11) or alternatively if you have an old pc around (ideally pentium class or better) then use one of the many open source linux router distros around (reccomend smoothwall, ipcop for basic stuff, clarkconnect for if you have more powerful hardware and want to use it for other things too eg. web server, mail server, pdc)
    "they're funny things, accidents. you never have them untill you're having them" - Winnie The Pooh