please help newbie with Mp3 Player

Thread: please help newbie with Mp3 Player

please help newbie with Mp3 Player

Hi all, have recently received a new mp3 player, a sort of generic brand i guess (from Hong Kong off ebay) came with a CD etc, but everytime i try and put songs on it, the whole system freezes, i get a blue screen and then have to crash the computer. This happens if i either drag and drop, or copy and paste. please help, i have this piece of equipment and cant use it! the computer recognises the MP3 as an e-drive device..my husbands similar player works fine, but not mine, do you think i need a driver? am running Windows 98SE. another idea could i reinstall XP over the top of 98? as you may have figured out, i'm not an expert on IT....thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by annah
    Hi all, have recently received a new mp3 player, a sort of generic brand i guess (from Hong Kong off ebay) came with a CD etc, but everytime i try and put songs on it, the whole system freezes, i get a blue screen and then have to crash the computer. This happens if i either drag and drop, or copy and paste. please help, i have this piece of equipment and cant use it! the computer recognises the MP3 as an e-drive device..my husbands similar player works fine, but not mine, do you think i need a driver? am running Windows 98SE. another idea could i reinstall XP over the top of 98? as you may have figured out, i'm not an expert on IT....thanks so much!
    With 98, you will definitely need a driver. I suspect that 98 is trying to access the player with the driver that you installed for your husbands player, and this is causing problems.
    I would probably try installing the driver off the CD that you recieved, and seeing what this does. Note however that this may then mess up the working player.
    I'm not an expert either, just have some experience in playing with cheap MP3 players If you are not confident, please do not do anything, get better instructions than these.

Chris Lees