WIN XP pro CONTINUOUS LOOP

Thread: WIN XP pro CONTINUOUS LOOP

Question WIN XP pro CONTINUOUS LOOP

Hello everyone...
    quick question, any of you had a problem with WIN XP PRO with a continous loop? client rebooted PC, get to the windows splash (win xp symbol ) and then it reboots over and over, does the same if you try to get ot safemode, last known good configuration, etc etc.
    per client, nothing was installed prior the loop incident.

any ideas? i never had this happened before.

thanks in advanced.

Peligroso.
    Assumption is the mother of all fucl< ups

Quote Originally Posted by PeLiGrOsO
    Hello everyone...
    quick question, any of you had a problem with WIN XP PRO with a continous loop? client rebooted PC, get to the windows splash (win xp symbol ) and then it reboots over and over, does the same if you try to get ot safemode, last known good configuration, etc etc.
    per client, nothing was installed prior the loop incident.

any ideas? i never had this happened before.

thanks in advanced.

Peligroso.
    The most common cause of this symptom is that the PC is experiencing a significant hardware problem, causing a BSoD that automatically reboots the PC so quickly that you don't see the error message. Remove unnecessary hardware and see if you can boot then. If not you may have memory or hard drive problems, or corruption of the WinXP image itself.

i ran a motherboard test right before i left work and got a message that recommended that hard drive be replaced. so, i will be replacing hard drive today, but do you think i can get away with ghosting the drive or do i have to start from scratch? i hoping i can do ghost, this client has tons of programs in that pc.

do you have the intel storage driver installed? if so u will need to get the latest version go into safe mode and install it, We had this problem after we got a windows update, the storage driver and other modules get laoded and are attached to the kernel, the windows kernel can only load a certain ammount, so if there are to many or to large modules being loaded this happens.

Hope this is it.

actually the pc could not even boot to safemode, it will just keep going on a loop. so what i did, i took the 40 gig hard drirve from the pc, got a new 40 gig hard drive, connected both on a separate, bad hard drive as secondary master and new hard drive as secondary slave. booted pc and run norton 2003, cloned disk to disk and noticed that the bad hard drive was being recognized as a 15 gig instead of the 40 gigs. checked in windows and xp pro was recognizing it also as 15 gigs. run some hardware test and sure enough, 15 gig hard drive. checked properties of the drive and everything seemed to be in good working order, except that it was a 15 gig instead of 40 gigs. well any ways, i went ahead and ghosted the drive, disk to disk. removed the new drive, put it back as primary master, booted pc and worked flawlessly. but what bugs me is how the drive got damaged, cant figure out what happened for it to go from 40 to 15 gigs...
    i appreciate all the help...

thanks and have a happy holyday.

peligroso.

actually the pc could not even boot to safemode, it will just keep going on a loop. so what i did, i took the 40 gig hard drirve from the pc, got a new 40 gig hard drive, connected both on a separate, bad hard drive as secondary master and new hard drive as secondary slave. booted pc and run norton 2003, cloned disk to disk and noticed that the bad hard drive was being recognized as a 15 gig instead of the 40 gigs. checked in windows and xp pro was recognizing it also as 15 gigs. run some hardware test and sure enough, 15 gig hard drive. checked properties of the drive and everything seemed to be in good working order, except that it was a 15 gig instead of 40 gigs. well any ways, i went ahead and ghosted the drive, disk to disk. removed the new drive, put it back as primary master, booted pc and worked flawlessly. but what bugs me is how the drive got damaged, cant figure out what happened for it to go from 40 to 15 gigs...

peligroso.
    Could be a damaged partition table, or possibly the hardware controller on the drive itself. Before you give up on it, I'd get the manufacturer's diagnostics and run them to see what they find, then I'd zero-fill the drive and try it in another system.

Smile same problem , different solution?

ok i have got a disk from someone which is supose to help recover this drive . it has a bunch of utilities one of which you can fix the boot sector
    I am new to xp and looking into seeing if i can create or fix the problem in the boot partion sector of this drive .
    let me know anyone if this or something else i might need to know . thanks .

peligroso.

chkdsk /R

Quote Originally Posted by ziggytech
    ok i have got a disk from someone which is supose to help recover this drive . it has a bunch of utilities one of which you can fix the boot sector
    I am new to xp and looking into seeing if i can create or fix the problem in the boot partion sector of this drive .
    let me know anyone if this or something else i might need to know . thanks .
    I have seen some continuous loops that were solveable by simply running chkdsk /r from the recovery console. Maybe that could get you in to help prepare for drive transfer or fix it so that it could be imaged successfully