[RESOLVED] Can't change resolution from 640 by 480 and 16 colors

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can't change resolution from 640 by 480 and 16 colors

tds95sv

Resolved [RESOLVED] Can't change resolution from 640 by 480 and 16 colors

I formated my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 98 and I lost the resolution on my monitor. I have a Pentium II 266 MHz with a Gateway EV500 monitor. The problem started when I loaded Millenium. Now I just want to restore my computer. Thanks, Tim

wireless

install your video drivers

Cable Modem Tech

wireless is right when you formatted the computer you removed the video drivers from your hard drive..... windows will install the vga graphics adaptor which is 640 by 480 and 16 colors you will need the driver from your graphics card goto start settings control panel select system and then drvice manager... goto display adaptors and double click on the standard adaptor... click properties and then click on the driver tab, then click update driver. put your driver disk in the drive and point windows to the location of the driver .... you will need a reboot then you can right click the deskop and select properties and click settings and change up to 256 color, 16 bit 24 bit 32 bit..... 800 x 600 1024 x 768 or what ever suits your fance........ good luck. .

------------------
    They get mad when they come to raid my pad and i'm out in the nine duece cad.

tds95sv

Cool

I found my video driver. I decided to format my hard drive and start over. Now my computer has developed some bad clusters and the hard drive is making strange sounds. So now I’ll probably replace the computer. At least I’m still relatively healthy. Thanks for all your help. Tim

Try ATI video card and replace your HDD. Western Digital has some good deals on HDD's also look at IBM HDD's. Make sure your Video driver is compatable with Win Me. Go to the Microsoft site and download the HDC test or look up your driver in the listing under hardware compatability list.Had to replace several PCI AGP cards that were not compatable with ME that customers had installed Win Me and then could not get the res on thier Video.
    Sometimes You Win Sometimes You Lose Somethimes You Get The PC Blues!

------------------
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Tampa Bay Communications Inc
    http://www.smokinparts.com/smokinpartslogo

wanderer

Question

I have a similar problem with my VGA settings. Let me tell you about my debacle:
    It all started when my wife (who is a computer newbie) somehow deleted the Recycle in from the desktop.
    To make a long story short, after trying several of Microsoft’s solutions, I have to re-install Windows Me.
    I did the re-install on top of my existing Me for various reasons to lengthy to go into here. Anyway, it work and I got my recycle bin back, but, my video card drivers were hosed.
    I am running an Athlon 600MHz, with 256MB PC133 RAM, with an (OEM) Nvidia TNT2 Model 64 32Mb video card.
    Since Win Me loaded the default Super VGA card, I attempted to use the “Add new Hardware” wizard to re-install the Nvidia card drivers. It did not work. After the wizard loaded the drivers and I clicked “Finished” I was not prompted to re-boot, the (new) card did not show up in either the “Display” or “System” even after re-booting (using Restart or Shutdown). I even downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia; that did not help either. Any suggestions?

Darren Wilson

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wanderer:
    I have a similar problem with my VGA settings. Let me tell you about my debacle:
    It all started when my wife (who is a computer newbie) somehow deleted the Recycle in from the desktop.
    To make a long story short, after trying several of Microsoft’s solutions, I have to re-install Windows Me.
    I did the re-install on top of my existing Me for various reasons to lengthy to go into here. Anyway, it work and I got my recycle bin back, but, my video card drivers were hosed.
    I am running an Athlon 600MHz, with 256MB PC133 RAM, with an (OEM) Nvidia TNT2 Model 64 32Mb video card.
    Since Win Me loaded the default Super VGA card, I attempted to use the “Add new Hardware” wizard to re-install the Nvidia card drivers. It did not work. After the wizard loaded the drivers and I clicked “Finished” I was not prompted to re-boot, the (new) card did not show up in either the “Display” or “System” even after re-booting (using Restart or Shutdown). I even downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia; that did not help either. Any suggestions?
    </font>
    Install the VIA (or AMD depending on chipset on board )drivers first, also make sure that AGP4X support is disabled in the BIOS ( for troubleshooting ), then install the TNT2 drivers. Should get you around your problem.

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS

wanderer

Lightbulb

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I have already loaded the latest AGP drivers and the "4-in-1" drivers that I obtained from this site, which I did install prior to attempting to install the TNT2 video drivers.
    As for the AGP4X support, I'll have to take a look at the BIOS this evening, as I am not sure that my motherboard even has that avaialble. I have an FIC SD11 Motherboard. I downloaded the manual and here is what it had to say about the AGP:

"Onboard Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP):
    The motherboard hasone 32-bit AGP bus with a dedicated 66MHz/133MHz path from the graphics card to the system memory (in 2x mode)offering much greater bandwidth than the 32-bit PCI bus does. The board
    is fully compliant with the AGP 1.0 specification. AGP enabled 3D graphics cards can directly access main memory across this fast path instead ofusing local memory. To make use of the improved AGP performance, the
    motherboard should be installed with SDRAM type memory and the VGA card and drivers should also be fully AGP compliant. Using Microsoft™s Windows 98 and Windows 2000 which implement DirectDraw will allow
    the system to take full use of AGP™s benefits without the need to install
    additional drivers."

Still, I will look in the BIOS setup tonight to see if it has the 4x support, which if it does, I will disable and try to install the TNT2 drivers.
    If the board does not have the AGP4x, what would my next steps be?

Darren Wilson

Wanderer

Next step would be to try a different card if possible, both AGP & PCI to make sure that it isn't the AGP slot on the board causing the problems.

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS

wanderer

Cool

UPDATE:
    After trying several things, I came across the idea of (cold) booting from my Win Me Start-up Disk. After booting, I selected the "Start up w/CD-ROM support"
    After that I loaded my Win Me CD in the CD-ROM and re-loaded Win Me. During setup it asked for some drivers for the Nvidia card, which I gladly supplied. After going into Windows, the Nvidia card had been installed. To make sure I had the latest driver, I then used the downloaded executable from Nvidia.
    It is now working fine and I didn't lose any of my apps.

Chrono123

i have the problem with not changing the resolution as well, i installed the drivers for my graphics card but it does nothing, i checked out my system and it says theres a problem with a pci multimedia video device and it does not have the drivers installed, but what exactly is that? i installed the drivers for my graphics card but i see no drivers for such a thing...

Chrono123

Oh btw, i have a riva tnt 16 mb agp and i just recently had to reformat my hard drive which is why i am installing all the drivers, if anyone has any tips it would be very welcome =)

Pfred

Exclamation

Chrono123:

Please start a NEW topic; wil it might seem to make sense to continue this thread; you'll get better help if it is posted anew.

look around at what info is given; asked for more & then repost this topic.

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cable Modem Tech
    wireless is right when you formatted the computer you removed the video drivers from your hard drive..... windows will install the vga graphics adaptor which is 640 by 480 and 16 colors you will need the driver from your graphics card goto start settings control panel select system and then drvice manager... goto display adaptors and double click on the standard adaptor... click properties and then click on the driver tab, then click update driver. put your driver disk in the drive and point windows to the location of the driver .... you will need a reboot then you can right click the deskop and select properties and click settings and change up to 256 color, 16 bit 24 bit 32 bit..... 800 x 600 1024 x 768 or what ever suits your fance........ good luck. .

------------------
    They get mad when they come to raid my pad and i'm out in the nine duece cad.
    I have the same problem but with WIN 98,and I dont have the driver disk...I might be getting it next weekend with the backup disks for my laptop but Im not sure...
    im on a 770 ED if you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by canadarules
    I have the same problem but with WIN 98,and I dont have the driver disk...I might be getting it next weekend with the backup disks for my laptop but Im not sure...
    im on a 770 ED if you need to know.
    Please don't post the same question to more than one thread. Your question has now been answered twice in two other threads.

Please don't add new questions to 3 year old threads.

BTW, welcome to windrivers.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.