Is it already the end of AGP???
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it already the end of AGP???

Banned

Is it already the end of AGP???

I just got off of the phone with a vendor I sometimes use, I wanted to price out some Dell PC's, but one of my requirements was that the system has AGP, because I wanted to reuse some brand new video cards I have installed on the PC's that are being replaced. Not an unreasonable request I thought. The rep proceeds to tell me that he can't do it, everything in his inventory is showing only PCI-Express, and that AGP will be phased out across the board soon. I am not seeing this in the Compaq's and HP's that I've priced, but I presume that if Dell has set the bar, others will soon follow.

I knew SATA was the next big thing phasing out IDE, I didn't think PCI-Express was that quick on the horizon to remove AGP. Anyone thoughts?

Banned
    Oh, he also said that PS-2 is gone now too. Everything is USB.

Quote Originally Posted by newguy
    Being Dell, I assume he also said no more floppy drives?
    So, newguy, was this the "business" Dell , or "consumer"?
    To tell the truth, I don't particularly like Dell setting any kind of bar for the industry. Dell just ain't what it used to be.

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=58545

Did your rep have an Indian accent?

You ever come across those barbie computers that were only USB? Man those things were pieces of junk... As Trip said, if Dell is setting the "bar" now, the universe should implode on itself and end it's misery... AGP will be around for a while yet... the fact he ONLY has pci express in stock can mean several things in my mind:

1) He's an idiot and doesn't know the difference between PCI and PCI express. This is not much of a "leap of faith".

2) He actually does only have PCI express and the only reason why is because he has nothing in stock but a new board he ordered for himself...

3) Someone at work told him that so he'd look like a moron on the phone.... a job well done fellow co-worker!
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

4. He's got lots of AGP, but is trying to push the customers into only buying PCIX by simply lying about it.
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

I push the stuff I got left over... not the stuff that I just got in... but they're probably commission anyways
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

I'm just glad my best buys are always at Fry's -- guaranteed. Fry's is cool. They always have and always will have everything I need. And if not, then newegg.com works for me.
    Hello World

Btw,... I think that these customer service reps are being told by their management to push PCI Express in an attempt to manually phase out AGP. AGP will of course be around for awhile,.. but the trend will definitely start shifting towards the new technology.
    Hello World

Checking out the business sales website for Dell shows that everything available on the site either has integrated intel Extreme graphics, or some variation of PCI Express card..either the Radeon 16x x300 or the 256 mb Nvidia GeForce 6800 GTO
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Banned
    I'm all for new technology, it just shocked me that the whole vendors stock had nothing in AGP. They are a pretty big company, and deal in Dell, Compaq and a few others. I asked him twice if he was sure, and he was like "yeah, it’s the way things are going". All I could say was, "so soon"?

I just never saw it coming! It's good to know that this surprised more than just me.

AGP can't be dead yet! I just spent a bundel on a new vidio card. AGP won't go away too soon, because almost everything has an AGP slot in it. And anyway, I still see a lot of computers with ISA slots, and I just put a new floppy drive in my computer. (Allthough it dosen't have an ISA slot ) Oh well, everythings outdated after I buy it.
    Hmmmmm.....back for a while...

Registered User BlueShadowDemon's Avatar
    I dont see AGP going away for a long while. As others have said Dell wont be setting the bar for a new trend. They dont have floppies in most of their PCs, but you still see tons of them used. Long live AGP!
    AMD athlon XP 1700, 320 MB Ram, 40 gig hd, ATI Radeon 9700 w/128mb RAM ... awaiting upgrade

From what I've read they are basicly going to stop making AGP MB's and moving to PCI-express and SLI , but ATI and nVidia are still making all sorts of AGP cards yet till sales start slowing .

here's some info ;
    http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/467/38/
    Last edited by GrandDad; December 3rd, 2004 at 10:25 PM.
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

I'm all for new technology, it just shocked me that the whole vendors stock had nothing in AGP. They are a pretty big company, and deal in Dell, Compaq and a few others. I asked him twice if he was sure, and he was like "yeah, it’s the way things are going". All I could say was, "so soon"?

I just never saw it coming! It's good to know that this surprised more than just me.
    So, after all that, you weren't actually dealing with Dell itself newguy?
    Well, if it was a place that specializes in business pcs, then that explains it. As Geoscomp said about the Dell site: they deal mostly with onboard video as well as PCE, and the onboard thing has been going on for awhile now. In fact, most everything is onboard. Anything to cut the cost.
    Now, if you are a gamer or enthusiast in any other way, you will not buy one of those rigs, but, you will build your own, and you well get a mb with an AGP slot, and you will most likely spend a couple hundred dollars on a "leading edge" agp card. As well as sound and nic.