Early superbowl talk
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Early superbowl talk

Early superbowl talk

I think it would be fun to see the Steelers go all the way, but how great would it be to see Brett Favre match up with Tom Brady? I can almost see this happening this year. Hmmm.

Btw,.. gratz to Brett Fauvorer on 200. WTG!!

Oh,... and of course go Niners. All the way to the superbowl (just not this year).
    Hello World

I had to watch the 9'ers play Miami yesterday. What a horrible game. Most any college game would be better. It's really sad how far the 9'ers have fallen. And the Dolphins for that matter.

I honestly have no idea what the hell they are doing. It almost seems like they have decided to just go all out this season for the draft picks next year or something. I have been watching them for over 25 years now and I can't EVER remember a season like this. It's almost laughable.

But yeah,.. Favre vs Brady. That would ROCK!!
    Hello World

Hmmm,... Philly vs Pittsburgh could be very interesting as well.
    Hello World

Quote Originally Posted by WebHead
    But yeah,.. Favre vs Brady. That would ROCK!!
    After tonight against the Rams I'd bank on it...

Quote Originally Posted by shamus
    After tonight against the Rams I'd bank on it...
    Yup yup. I mean,.. it's still kinda early, but Favre knows how to finish a season strong. Believe me,.. I know -- I'm a Niner fan and have been disappointed by that guy many times.
    Hello World

Internet Linebacker
    Whoever the NFC sends to represent them is going to get absolutely slaughtered. Doesn't matter if it's Philly, Atlanta, Green Bay - makes no difference. The only reason Philly is 10-1 is because they get to beat up on the weak NFC, if they were in the AFC they'd be maybe 7-4 at best. You saw what Pittsburgh did to them.

That said, I'm not counting on Pittsburgh to make it. Too many years now I've seen them with the best record and get homefield advantage in the playoffs only to choke in the championship game. Until Cowher figures out how to win the AFC championship, I'm not counting on it. Hope he proves me wrong this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra X
    Whoever the NFC sends to represent them is going to get absolutely slaughtered. Doesn't matter if it's Philly, Atlanta, Green Bay - makes no difference. The only reason Philly is 10-1 is because they get to beat up on the weak NFC, if they were in the AFC they'd be maybe 7-4 at best. You saw what Pittsburgh did to them.
    Remember those years when the NFC dominated? Well, the tide has definitely turned. Buffalo would be a lock for a playoff spot if they were in the NFC.
    Early Super Bowl favorite: Indianapolis, as long as Peyton stays healthy. And, they only need a bit of defense. The Patriots will get upset and it is one year too early for the Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Remember those years when the NFC dominated? Well, the tide has definitely turned. Buffalo would be a lock for a playoff spot if they were in the NFC.
    Early Super Bowl favorite: Indianapolis, as long as Peyton stays healthy. And, they only need a bit of defense. The Patriots will get upset and it is one year too early for the Steelers.
    Indy will be lucky to make the AFC championship game. they are on course for a 3 seed, which means 1 home game then 2 on the road. the games on the road would likely be at pittsburgh, then if they win at NE. There is no way manning puts up the numbers he has in january weather on crappy fields (I thought the steelers turf was bad last week, then I saw the rain game in NE) playing the number 1 defense in football (steelers) and the number 1 defensive mind in football (belicheck.) It's just not going to happen. If they were the number 1 seed and had all games at home in the dome, I think you could make a case for them in the superbowl, but not as a 3 seed having to play the wildcard round and two road games in cold weather with no defense whatsoever to speak of.

If the steelers can get healthy (Staley and burress) and Big Ben snaps out of the mini funk he is in I think they are the favorites followed closely by NE who always looks beatable to me, but somehow always wins

the NFC has NO SHOT whatsoever. Philly is ordinary and just lucky to be in the NFC.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    The only team I'm worried about is Pittsburgh. They are the only team in the AFC that legitimatly scares me. Peyton has yet to figure out how to beat Bill and Romeo.

Banned
    No way Cowher can win the big one.

As for Farve, he is the greatest there is playing the game, but who knows how sane he will stay with the wife. Prayers to the big man.

This year is different. I think this is Cowhers "do or die" season. He REALLY wants this superbowl thing to happen, and something deep down tells me he can do it.

Once the playoffs start,.. the season essentially starts over so anything can happen. You never know,... maybe all 4 teams that I've mentioned won't go and a couple of nobody teams end up making it. I do have a very strong feeling that it will be the Packers vs Patriots though.
    Hello World

Internet Linebacker
    The Dolts won't do anything in the playoffs. Manning folds up like a lawn chair under pressure, and if they cross paths with Pittsburgh, you can be sure Lebeau will blitz him constantly.

Honestly, I'd say the Colts will be lucky to get past the divisional round. There are too many good/great defenses in the AFC that will eat Manning alive if they meet up in the playoffs.

Internet Linebacker
    Quote Originally Posted by kato2274
    If the steelers can get healthy (Staley and burress) and Big Ben snaps out of the mini funk he is in I think they are the favorites followed closely by NE who always looks beatable to me, but somehow always wins
    I wouldn't say Ben's in a funk. I mean, he was 9/20 on 130 some yards last week, but then again, he's not the one dropping passes a la Hines Ward, Lee Mays and Willie Parker. Since Hines is by far my favorite Steeler, and he's usually got hands of glue, I'l chalk it up to just being one bad game and let it slide. But Mays flat out sucks, I would've rather they kept Doering over him after Zamir Cobb went down in preseason. And Parker is fast, but his hands suck, not much of a receiving threat out of the backfield.

Also, as much as I hate to say it, the passing offense is pretty damn anemic without Burress in there. He's the only one who can stretch the field, without him, Ward faces double coverage the whole game, and the opposing D can put 8 in the box to stuff the run (not that it seems to matter), and send the house on a blitz. I think with him being back next week, the passing game will be back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra X
    The Dolts won't do anything in the playoffs. Manning folds up like a lawn chair under pressure, and if they cross paths with Pittsburgh, you can be sure Lebeau will blitz him constantly.

Honestly, I'd say the Colts will be lucky to get past the divisional round. There are too many good/great defenses in the AFC that will eat Manning alive if they meet up in the playoffs.
    Agreed.

As I've said a gazillion times: Manning = overrated
    Hello World