Can't ID a motherboard
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't ID a motherboard

Unhappy Can't ID a motherboard

I have a motherboard someone gave me. It's a Socket 462, looks like a VIA chipset, 5 pci slots, 1 agp slot, and 2 168 DIMM slots (I think). Between PCI slots 2 & 3 in big bold letters says "QUIK SILVER".

There are 4 stickers on the board, 1 has a barcode and says "Compaq Computer Corp." 41055 over barcode, The other sticker also has a barcode and says "Replace with Compaq Spare SPS-BD SYS K7 W/THERMAL PAD Spare No.227954-002 Part No.207610-001", and the 3rd sticker has barcode and saying KQS1304163 QUIK-SILVER. then 2 little stickers in cornner one with 786k on it the other with 0001

I've tried serching the Compaq site and could not find anything. I also serched with Google useing qiuk sillver and every thing on the stickers.

Just wanting to Find the specs. on the board to see what kind of CPU & Mem I can use on it.
    If you look heard enough, you will find the anwers.

part number: 227954-002
    description: System Board
    price: $284.00

where used:
    Presario 7000
    Presario 7000xx
    Presario 7PL
    Only one problem... these boards are intel 810e chipsets

So my suggestion would be if it is a socket A - drop a duron in there and run it up and use the variety of bios id's to identify it further. hwinfo runs in do
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Won't any old chip that fits do it ? .... I know it'll mis-report the speed of the chip if the fsb is 'wrong' .... but we only want to see the bios string to 'identify' it ... we don't need to get it stable or correctly identify the cpu, we just want the bios string on the post screen .....

With what we already know physically about the board plus info from the bios string we should know exactly what board ??

BTW ... almost all boards have the possible fsb's & multipliers printed on them somewheres in a little table ... even when these options are done with 'autosense' ... so no jumpers or dip switches ....

Well looks like I will just have to do it the way confus-ed mentioned. I didn't think about doing it that way. I might ba able to find a cpu to drop in and see.

Will let every one know what it is if and when I can get IDed. Thanks.

And by the way it does have a jumper for fbs for 100 or 133.

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    You could posta picture of it at motherboards.org. The folks over there have extreme experience when it comes to identifying mbs from pictures.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Just to update everyone helping. I still don't know what it is. I havent the means yet to take a picture and send, nor do i have a working CPU or power suply to fit that board yet. But am in the getting a case with the right power suply and will be ordering a CPU for socket A and will still let every one know the outcome when I fine out. Just didn't want every to think I asked for help then left every hanging.

Talk to u all later.

Just today I played with Quik Silver2 socket A micro-ATX motherboard and an Athlon XP1500+ CPU (Compaq PC)... So, it's not Intel MB...
    I'm pretty sure it's OEM motherboard made by FIC ( www.fica.com ) for Compaq (now HP) - symbols in model name looks very similar to what FIC usually uses. (it's well-known fact, what FIC makes OEM boards for HP,Compaq and E-machines)...
    yeah,and I just found small confirmation of my guess on one Russian web-site... http://www.crossnet.ru/cat/motherboard/FIC/14381.htm

But your MB is QuikSilver (not QS2), what usually means - your MB is bit older...

I Still have nod found out what the board is. However I'm getting a case with the atx power supply to day so now I will be able to drop a prosser in it to see what the post boot screen says it is. Will let you all know later on this eveining (providing I don't for get) but shouldn't because Im abou to ask another question if I can figure the right area to post it in. So that means I will be back in here later.

Thanxs again all.

Just to add to the fun, if it is an 810e (100 or 133, as opposed to the 810 no "e" that is just 100Mhz), any P3 or P3 Celeron should autosence, but Intel has a BIOS ID utility that I was looking for but just cannot find on Intel's site, sorry. Even if it isn't an intel board, it tells you what chipset the Mobo uses.

Computer Valet had the best idea- check out motherboards.org, they are a god send.

Can you see the south bridge chipset it should say right on it if its a VIA or Intel Chipset. The model of the south bus should give you an idea of the north bus. Do you see a FCC ID # on the board you can search here http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/
    it should tell you who the manufacture is.

Thumbs up

I was doing a search on Google for more information on my QuikSilver2 Compaq motherboard, and this was the only result I found. Since I have an operational system using this board (Presario 8000 series), perhaps my information will be useful.

Northbridge: AMD-761
    Southbridge: VIA VT82C686B
    BIOS: Compaq 786K2
    IDE Ultra ATA100
    AGP 4x
    2x PC2100 DDR Slots

I currently have on it:
    AMD Athlon XP 1700 clocked at 1.6GHz, 266MHz FSB
    2x 256MB PC2100 modules
    Compaq 300W12V PSU

Here are links to BIOS, Northbridge, and Southbridge drivers:
    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/any/na/...etype=software
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...6~4233,00.html
    http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

Although I don't have a board ID to give you, this should probably help immensely I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Mental_Myopia
    I was doing a search on Google for more information on my QuikSilver2 Compaq motherboard, and this was the only result I found. Since I have an operational system using this board (Presario 8000 series), perhaps my information will be useful.

Northbridge: AMD-761
    Southbridge: VIA VT82C686B
    BIOS: Compaq 786K2
    IDE Ultra ATA100
    AGP 4x
    2x PC2100 DDR Slots

I currently have on it:
    AMD Athlon XP 1700 clocked at 1.6GHz, 266MHz FSB
    2x 256MB PC2100 modules
    Compaq 300W12V PSU

Here are links to BIOS, Northbridge, and Southbridge drivers:
    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/any/na/...etype=software
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_2336~4233,00.html
    http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

Although I don't have a board ID to give you, this should probably help immensely I hope.
    Welcome to Windrivers Mental_Myopia.
    Glad you chose to help.
    I wonder if you noticed that this trread is months old.
    Too bad Salem never got back to us.

Sorry about forgetting to come back and tell everyone whats going on with the board. I have tried an AMD Duron 1.2 gig. , AMD Athlon 1.1gig. , AMD Athlon xp 1600, with 128 meg ram. It still would not fire up (bost boot or anything at all). I have therefor asumed the board is dead and maybe thats why it was so willing given to me to play with. I ended up fileing it under file 13.

I would like to thank all that has tried to help. However please don't feel u were unable to help because some of the imput might paid off if the board work. Also I have had few other problems over the months and have found the answers to them looking the forums.

I don't know how to end or delet this thread, but if someone can or will tell me how I will. Again Thanks to all for ur suport and input.

Chip ID + Driver question

I purchased a Compaq system in 1998 that has this motherboad in it. The specs are identical. Here are the details:

It's a Compaq Presario 7000 Model 7QS CTO.
    The chip that was installed by Compaq on this board is:
    AMD 1GD4 Northbridge

I'd like to upgrade the OS to XP-SP2. It was shipped with ME.

I'd also like to upgrade the processor if possible -- and if it's worth it.

Can anyone direct me to a location where I can get updated drivers for this machine? Are updated drivers necessary?

Is this a standard ATX sized motherboard? Can I swap it out for something more current and faster?

...or is this better used for a boat anchor?

Thanks,

George

Welcome to windrivers George. Compaq made any number of 7QS models, and unfortunately yours is a CTO (configured to order, i.e., a non-standard machine). Upgrading to XP should not be a problem, however, a clean install (not an upgrade) is recommended from Me.
    XP drivers for one the more generic models are here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...t&cc=us&os=228

Not much info is available, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00009012 but they list cpu's up to 1.4GHz, so you can go at least that fast w/o a change to the m/b.

It lists the m/b as mini-ATX which means you should be able to replace it if the power supply connection is standard. At that point you may want to think about cost/benefit, as to really get the benefit you are also talking about replacing your memory and graphics card. You might be better off keeping this as-is as an 2nd system and buying/building a new one from scratch.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.