Decisions on buying a notebook

Thread: Decisions on buying a notebook

Post Decisions on buying a notebook

I plan on buying a notebook this christmas and I was wondering if everyone had a preference on the different processors such as Pentium 4, Pentium M, Celeron, etc. Which processors are considered more reliable, faster, more efficient?

Thanks

Its specification will depend a lot on what your going to use it for i.e. desktop replacement or commuting but if its the later then Pentium M if you want to get more than about 1 1/2 hours out of the laptop on battery power as these will usually run in the 3 to 5 hour range.

Frankly for anything other than hardcore gaming and serious graphics/cpu intensive work, the Centrino (Pentium M) models are kick@$$, I love my HP zt3020, its great, just dont get 256ram and try and get a good vga set, definately not integrated, mine came with a ati9200, try for a 9600 or a gf 5600 model.

I hate to say it

I hate to say it, but eMachine has nice notebooks with the athlon 64 http://www.emachines.com/products/pr...Machines_M6810 which is my processor of choice.
    I have a Dell Latitude D600 with a Centrino 1.6GHz Processor in it and that is a nice notebook. Unfortunately, I had no choice in that as my work bought it for me.
    I would highly recommend AMD as they are very reliable processors and usually offer a better price to performance ratio than their Intel Competitor.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

The notebook will be like a desktop replacement for me. I don't plan to travel with it too much. So the battery life doesn't really matter. 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours is fine with me. I will mostly use the notebook for internet access and burning cds. I would like to know which is cheaper? My other question is it a cause of concern which processor heats up the quickest? Or when it comes to any processor it is unavoidable.

Thanks
    Last edited by cable; December 7th, 2004 at 11:34 AM.

They do manufacture notebooks with standard desktop P4 processors [which Intel try to curtail as they prefer manufacturers to use the mobile processors] though they do run warm and eat battery power but as your using it for a desktop replacement that will not matter so perhaps that will get you best bang for buck

Any of the Toshiba line of M or A laptops would be good in my book.

Most models offer the P4 along with Centrino CPUs.

Centrino = No heat worries, even passive cooling is enough!