Client Licensing Questions

Thread: Client Licensing Questions

Client Licensing Questions

I need a refresher course on licenses. I have a client who has a small network. He purchased Windows 2000 with 5 client licenses a while back. Now he needs to add a 6th pc. Of course when he tries to logon he gets a client max message. The guy who set this up told them they have to buy a minimum 5 client license which they don't need. I am pretty sure this is a load of crap as I am pretty sure you can buy only one license.

I know I can just go into the licensing and change to whatever I want, but me and the client want it to be legal.

Anyone know how to handle this?

Quote Originally Posted by mhubbard
    I need a refresher course on licenses. I have a client who has a small network. He purchased Windows 2000 with 5 client licenses a while back. Now he needs to add a 6th pc. Of course when he tries to logon he gets a client max message. The guy who set this up told them they have to buy a minimum 5 client license which they don't need. I am pretty sure this is a load of crap as I am pretty sure you can buy only one license.

I know I can just go into the licensing and change to whatever I want, but me and the client want it to be legal.

Anyone know how to handle this?
    I think he is right, pretty sure CAL's come in packs of five actually.

emr

This is very hard to answer without knowing what services & which kind of licence (per device or per user ?) you require activated in your license (they didn't originally have this distinction in w2k it came in with 2003 but I think it now retrespectively applies), CAL token's do generally come in 5's but not for everything..

This Client Access Licensing for Windows Small Business Server 2003 (I know its for 2003, but I'm sure its the same for w2k) will give you more info - but I think despite how 'poohy' it seems you do need to buy at least 5 ..

Licensing is an absolute nightmare ! I'd ring up M$ & check (or at least an accredited licence seller you actually trust - since you don't seem too confident of this one ! )

Administrative Tools >> Licensing >> Add more client licenses. Technically you can do this without actually purchasing the licenses, but of course, I cannot recommend that
    DON'T PANIC