DVD Burner - add or replace

Thread: DVD Burner - add or replace

Smile DVD Burner - add or replace

I have been given a DVD burner for my christmas, I currently have 2 used bays, the first being just an ordinary 52 read CD rom, and the second is a CD burner which is 52x32x52

My question is really an optional one, but, I would like some advice as to what I should do with the DVD burner.

Should I replace the CD Rom, or the CD burner, or even just add the DVD burner to the extra bay which would mean that I would have 2 burners on the system.

Oh, but here comes my next question, if I add the DVD burner to the extra bay is there any advice as to the connection ribbon for master slave etc, I ask this because I have read many times that it is wise to have the DVD burner as master.

Also can I add a new ribbon to the secondary IDE connection on the motherboard, or are those Primary and secondary connectors only for Hard Disks.

What I was thinking of doing was to add the DVD burner to my system and use the IDE ribbon used for the CD burner and make the DVD burner as master and have the CD burner as slave.

I am not going to replace the CD rom with a DVD rom as I will not be using the DVD burner on the fly, so when copying a DVD I will have to use the same drive for both the reading and writing.

Any advice would be most welcome.

When I had the same dilemma I replaced both my drives with a good DVD Burner. This has all the capabilites of all three of your units albeit they are not as fast. A few weeks later I noticed a difference in my gameplay experience. I then reinstalled my 52x CDRom and all was good.
    The moral I guess is you can replace everything with the DVD Burner, but if you need a fast CDRom for games, etc. You should put the fastest one in available. Hope that was helpful

DVD Burner - add or replace

I would prefer to have 2 drives at the very least because I often copy CD's using on the fly with Nero Express.

The DVD burner concerned is an Emprex 1016IM Dual Layer.

I don't know the firmware version that is currently in the DVD burner, but I have noticed that on the Emprex website that they have a firmware download for this model.

When I receive my christmas present and install it I will check which firmware version it has under device manager/settings.

Of course if it works alright then I won't bother with the upgrade.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1
    When I had the same dilemma I replaced both my drives with a good DVD Burner. This has all the capabilites of all three of your units albeit they are not as fast. A few weeks later I noticed a difference in my gameplay experience. I then reinstalled my 52x CDRom and all was good.
    The moral I guess is you can replace everything with the DVD Burner, but if you need a fast CDRom for games, etc. You should put the fastest one in available. Hope that was helpful

I think you have the right idea. Install the DVD burner as master on the secondary channel, then one of the CD drives as secondary slave. If you do a lot of copying on the fly, I would suggest testing the two to see which has the faster audio extraction rate. Make sure you enable dma on both.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.