Forum rules - part deux !!

Thread: Forum rules - part deux !!

Question Forum rules - part deux !!

Are we in the twiglet zone again or what ? (that's play on twilight zone for all the folks who'll inevitably not get that joke ) - so while we are apparently in some strange world with less than obvious purpose what the hell was the purpose of this ? Forum Rules (closed immediately) ?

The thread is still there... stating the "new" WD / Jupiter forums rules.
    Last edited by a d e p t; December 11th, 2004 at 12:10 PM.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    The thread is still there... stating the "new" WD / Jupiter forums rules.
    Yeah or I wouldn't have posted .. I was/am confus-ed as to why it was then immediately shut !?! (hence this thread for anyone similarly puzzled !).. I can see the official rules have changed again, but I think that happened a while ago, I noticed around the time of Freddy's 'flood attack' (as there's now a specific rule on that ) & we got no announcement then like it was 'something' ..

All rules are open to interpretation (the old ones said pretty much the same for 'intent' purposes) & I was wondering why we needed any new ones ponted out anymore than some folks took notice of the old ones or they can be enforced any better than the old ..

I don't know but those "new" rules seem pretty strict. No linking copyrighted material w/o permission could become a tough one for us when it comes to news articles and/or pictures.
    I guess, as usual, it will come down to how strict the new mod is, and how they interpret such matters. Yeah, interesting days ahead.
    A new "learning" xp if you will...

Of course if you look at the flip side, we (the WD community) have taken the last step to joining the full-fledged corporate world, where the lawyers run everything. Although nearly all online news agencies wink at linking their articles on your site, it only takes one to cry uncle and all the lawyers start scurrying.

I can see the need to prevent members from posting links to cr4ckz, s3rialz, and other h4xor web sites that present a REAL "piracy" issue for WD. But news articles? I dunno. I guess we will have to see.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGofBLEH
    ... But news articles? I dunno. I guess we will have to see.
    The 'rule' mentioned in this respect is talking about non public material ..

..You will not post any copyrighted material, nor link to any copyrighted material (with the exception of publicly available sites and pages that the legal owners of the copyrights have created to make that material freely available to the general public), unless that copyright is owned by you or by these Forums...
    So probably no issue for most postings as if google or other search engine can find them I read this as 'you are covered' .. I might be technically in trouble though, as I'm often requoting from news groups & such (also I requote stuff I write for others which I might have got paid for by a.n.other & strictly they now own that copyright).

So, it will be all about interpretation.
    How about this one:
    You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harrass, threaten, nor attack anyone.
    Talk about being "open for interpretation".
    I sure hope Richard1 has an open mind as well as some good advisors...

I opened the thread, quoted the rules, made it sticky and shut it. The last thing I want is a discussion in an informational vacuum about what they mean. I will now close this thread as well and wait for instructions. Those who want to argue with me may do so via [email protected] or pm.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."