[RESOLVED] Home network

Thread: [RESOLVED] Home network

yxg

Post Home network

I have two pc's running Windows ME. PC#1 is a Celeron 400 and PC#2 is a Pentium II-300. I have installed 3CSOHO 3COM network cards in both pcs. I have run the Networking wizard in Windows ME for both pc's. Both pc's have an RJ-45 going to a HUB. Both pc's are on the workgroup MSHOME (default), and do not share an Internet connection (they each have 56K modem). Both pc's have different but simple 5 alphanumeric character network id's (e.g. H6F7D). Here's my question. Both pc's are shared on the network. Why does one pc show both computers on the network when I look under Network places, but the other pc only shows itself on the network. By the way, if I actually "search Computer" I do find the missing network computer and map the drive. I am just curious why it doesn't appear when I browse in Network places.

StevePorter

Lightbulb

It sounds like you're running a TCP/IP network. Try using NetBEUI as you network protocol instead, using TCP/IP only for you dial-up accounts. It's simple and fast...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

Cable Modem Tech

i totally agree with the previos post.... i had this problem when setting up my network and ended up removing tcp ip and reinstalling it along with net buei...
    that ought to fix you up good luck

------------------
    Give a man a fish and tomorrow he will be back bugging you for another one!

Sparky625

Exclamation

Just make sure you keep NetBEUI unbound from your dial-up connection! That's a big security hole.

Mmmm... file shares...

------------------
    Thank you for calling the support desk! How may I disconnect you today?

Borgmaster

If you want to see both pc's you need to have File Sharing enabled on both and at least one share set up on each. If nothing is shared they won't show.

Other than file sharing, is there ANYTHING you can actually DO with NetBEUI? I mean come on! Get it working with NetBEUI, then shift over to TCP/IP.

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092

StevePorter

Question

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NPaladin:
    Other than file sharing, is there ANYTHING you can actually DO with NetBEUI? I mean come on! Get it working with NetBEUI, then shift over to TCP/IP.

</font>
    OK, I'll bite...

What can you do with TCP/IP that you can't do with NetBEUI? I need to be educated...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

Hi, Steve.

To the best of my knowledge, the only thing that you can't do with NETBEUI that you can do with other protocols is route it. For very small networks or workgroups it can't be beat - it is easy to set up and it is very very fast. With larger networks it is too chatty to be efficient.

You probably already knew this.

[This message has been edited by houseisland (edited February 19, 2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StevePorter:
    OK, I'll bite...

What can you do with TCP/IP that you can't do with NetBEUI? I need to be educated...

</font>
    Ever try sharing out an Internet connection on a NetBEUI network? How about playing games? VideoConfrencing? Forget them all. And, of cours, you can't route NetBEUI...and considering how much bandwidth it eats up, anything beyond 4 workstations on a 10 mbps network, it SHOULD be routed.

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092

hogsly

so this half solves my problem that i cant get my system to see others when a router is inlineas i use net bui But how do i use internet sharing as the server is the only one with a static i.p.if i follow i.c.s instructions.
    please help my kids are driving me crazy wanting to use my adsl

GSD4ME

Have you tried installing proxy software? A easy config version (and free) is from www.analogx.com. It does require TCP/IP to work but my pref. is to use TCP/IP anyway.

HTH

StevePorter

Lightbulb

Ever try sharing out an Internet connection on a NetBEUI network? How about playing games? VideoConfrencing? Forget them all. And, of cours, you can't route NetBEUI...and considering how much bandwidth it eats up, anything beyond 4 workstations on a 10 mbps network, it SHOULD be routed.

</font>
    I've sure played my share of games on NetBEUI configured networks and never had a problem. I'll agree with you on the routing, though, but not on the number of stations. I've run nearly a dozen stations on a NetBEUI peer-to-peer network without any noticeable reduction in performance (on a 10MBPS network, too). We had some great Quake 2 and Quake 3 Arena matches...

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StevePorter:
    I've sure played my share of games on NetBEUI configured networks and never had a problem. I'll agree with you on the routing, though, but not on the number of stations. I've run nearly a dozen stations on a NetBEUI peer-to-peer network without any noticeable reduction in performance (on a 10MBPS network, too). We had some great Quake 2 and Quake 3 Arena matches...
    </font>
    I'd still like to see you try and share a 'net connection over it.

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092

StevePorter

Red face

I'd still like to see you try and share a 'net connection over it.

</font>
    We were just playing on the peer-to-peer, without trying to connect outside our LAN. There's no question that one needs the TCP/IP protocol to game over the Internet. The original question by "yxg" didn't indicate that as a question or requirement. I think we've strayed on a tangent here. I'm sorry I ruffled feathers...that wasn't my intention here...

------------------