Think I killed it-Asus A7V266-E

Thread: Think I killed it-Asus A7V266-E

Think I killed it-Asus A7V266-E

On wife PC I swaped out her old PCchips MB with my old Asus , but I got in a hurry and didn't notice one mounting (lug or whatever its called that goes between MB and case) needed to be moved (it was near the back-bottom , near the BIOS) and touched or was touching .

Before I knew this tho I had started PC and it got to winXP and stopped (knew it would , big hardware change) , rebooted so could check and change anything needed in BIOS , in the middle of making changes , PC shut-off .
    Looked around at it for a minute , don't see anything wrong , flip switch in back to Off then On and hit button , everything seems to start (fans , HDD's, DVD,lights) but no Video or beeps .

Pulled MB part way out saw lug in wrong place , moved it , screwed it down ,checked everything , tried boot again , same , no Vid. or beeps , pulled V.card out of mine , put in Asus , same again , moved memory around ,removed it , no change .

So did I fry MB ? or just BIOS .

p.s. FloppyDrive won't try to read or spin with a floppy in and do a reboot (was gonna try reFlash BIOS in case it some how got erased ) .

Thanks Guys and Dolls
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

Only a couple of things to try that you didn't mention.

Reset bios
    Reseat processor and check heatsink is on correctly
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

pull out all cables and cards and reseat aswell.
    start the pc with no extra hardware ie sound, modem etc...
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Thanks guys , I've done the reset BIOS (unplug power and monitor , pull battery and short jumper and wait awhile before putting battery back) .

After reading replys I pulled battery and cords , unpluged HDD's -Floppy-DVDrom , rechecked HeatSink put a stick of memory in , so there's nothing but Vcard and mem. connected , about an hour later put battery back , plug Monitor in and Elec.cord and tried it :

same thing

It was my dumb fault .
    FormatAndReload.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrandDad
    Thanks guys , I've done the reset BIOS (unplug power and monitor , pull battery and short jumper and wait awhile before putting battery back) .

After reading replys I pulled battery and cords , unpluged HDD's -Floppy-DVDrom , rechecked HeatSink put a stick of memory in , so there's nothing but Vcard and mem. connected , about an hour later put battery back , plug Monitor in and Elec.cord and tried it :

same thing

It was my dumb fault .
    add-on + update + question

The reason for changing MB in the first place , was having problems with first MB (PC-chips 810L) not posting sometimes , after thinking I fried ASUS MB I tried different PSU with no change , I put the 810L back in and it was getting the no-post or beeps thing , so looked on ebay for something that would take a AMD 1800+ proc. and ended up with a ealier ver. PC-chips 810L , hooked everything up and still get nothing (tried min. stuff P.+Mem.) ,
    so is it possible I fried proccessor ??

I can test proc. in mine later or tommorrow , but don't wanna screw my PC if proc. is dead and has a short or something .

Thanks again for any help or thoughts .
    FormatAndReload.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrandDad
    The reason for changing MB in the first place , was having problems with first MB (PC-chips 810L) not posting sometimes , after thinking I fried ASUS MB I tried different PSU with no change , I put the 810L back in and it was getting the no-post or beeps thing , so looked on ebay for something that would take a AMD 1800+ proc. and ended up with a ealier ver. PC-chips 810L , hooked everything up and still get nothing (tried min. stuff P.+Mem.) ,
    so is it possible I fried proccessor ??
    Far not all the earlier revisions of that MB could support AMD1800+ (by the way,what CPU version (code) do you have - Palomino or Thoroughbred?).
    Only Palomino CPUs were supported, and only if you did update the BIOS...

Besides, all these PCChips boards are "famous" for having problems with leaking capacitors... so look if you don't have any with bulged tops... if you do - MB is not usable (can be fixed, though, if you have some soldering skills). Also, it could be caused by bad power supply - spinning fans are not always mean power is O'K... Usually bad capacitors on the motherboard also mean defective capacitors (at least) inside the power suplly or another failures... not to mention bad power supply can kill any motherboard...
    Last edited by Ruslan; December 29th, 2004 at 11:57 PM.

Btw,.. also might wanna check the socket that the processor goes into just to see if there are any burnt pins. They might not be obvious at first. If there are any burnt ones, then it's probably curtains for the asus.
    Hello World

Also,.. a few months back I had a similar experience. Built up PC, turned on, no prob. Ran slow, turned it off. Tried to turn it back on, nothing. Turned out that I fried the Nvidia card somehow. It had a strong discoloration on the actual circuit board. Not sure how it got fried, but you might wanna examine the parts on the vid card too just to be sure.
    Hello World

Quote Originally Posted by Ruslan
    Far not all the earlier revisions of that MB could support AMD1800+ (by the way,what CPU version (code) do you have - Palomino or Thoroughbred?).
    Only Palomino CPUs were supported, and only if you did update the BIOS...

Besides, all these PCChips boards are "famous" for having problems with leaking capacitors... so look if you don't have any with bulged tops... if you do - MB is not usable (can be fixed, though, if you have some soldering skills). Also, it could be caused by bad power supply - spinning fans are not always mean power is O'K... Usually bad capacitors on the motherboard also mean defective capacitors (at least) inside the power suplly or another failures... not to mention bad power supply can kill any motherboard...
    Palomino's = 2 of them .

Well , pulled my proc.(AMD 1800+ Pal.) and put it in that PC with 2nd 810L and nothing , just fans and such run ,
    pulled my PSU and layed by other and hooked it-up , same ,
    put proc. and PSU back in mine , now mines dead ,
    tried her proc. in mine , same .

Discovered while playing with things that when mounted last MB that 3 screws were missing the little red plastic washer , so I reckon I've killed 2 proc.s now .

Have looked over all 3 MBs for any bad Caps or burns or anything and nothing , and same for proc.s and PSUs .

So will have to wait until next week and see if can spare any change and then look for a couple cheap proc.s .

oh, I'm using old IBM with 350mhz AMD I draged out and had to look thru boxs and the other 2 PCs for parts to make it run , I quess I'll be playing lots an lots of Hearts and Soli. for awhile .

Thanks Ruslan and wrrby , unless ya'll have any more ideas .
    FormatAndReload.com

Well got a cheap AMD Sempron 2200+ the other day and got my PC running again .
    Got a AMD Duron 750mhz today and the 2nd PCchips MB is total dead , but the Asus MB (shock) still works and I have hers up and running again , that Duron runs alot better than I expected .

So both PC's are working now , until my next incident ;( .
    FormatAndReload.com