Brand name computers, why buy them?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brand name computers, why buy them?

Brand name computers, why buy them?

I just went to fix my uncle's Gateway PC, not only are all drivers proprietary making it impossible to change or upgrade the OS, it's a Pentium IV 3ghz with 512mb ram and it's at LEAST 10 times slower than my Athlon 1400 even after a format, not to mention it must have cost at least 3-4 times the price. To top it off, there's no reset button (you definately need one on a gateway, it was freezing constantly even after the format), and no HHD let (perhaps they decided it was noisy enough not to need one, it is incredibly noisy when there's HD access).

So why in the world do people buy brand name PCs? You're just paying 3 times more for 10 times less and 10 times more trouble. ALL my computers were total nightmares until I built one myself, and it didn't even freeze in 4 years (although that's also thanks to Windows XP which is incredibly stable comapred to 98).

My uncle said he got a brand name because there's less compatibility problems If anything they'res WAY MORE compatibility problems with brand name PCs because they make everything proprietary so you have to buy everything from them for 10 times the cost.

I guess people buy brand name PCs because they feel safer, but in fact they should feel less safe, because AFAIK all brand name computers are a pile of overpriced worthless unstable garbage that never work.
    Last edited by ClickHere2Surf.com; December 13th, 2004 at 12:30 AM.

Those proprietary systems might come with a P4, but it's usually only a 400MHz FSB which is why it's so slow. Plus it's usually just cheap memory. When people ask me to help them work on their proprietary computer, I usually just tell them to call the tech support for it. I mean, might as well take advantage of it as long as it's there.
    Hello World

Its not the bus thats the bottle neck, my bus is 266 and its still MILES faster than his P4, its the hard drive gateway uses which seems to be a 4200 or 5400 rpm. The hard drive is the most important part for system performance and they put the worst they can find, just like Compaq (perhaps all other manufacturers also but I have no experience with others) so it makes their brand new 3Ghz PC which they think will fly, run slow as molasses.

I remember when I got my Compaq PII 450 which I thought would fly, boy was I wrong, it was just as slow as my old 166, cause comcrap puts 4200 rpm drives even in their high end models, what a bunch of @$$holes. What's the point? Why make a PC with a fast CPU and then putthe worlds slowest hard drive you can find to make the powerfull CPU worthless? I know, because people are brainwashed into thinking fast CPU = fast computer, when it's really fast hard drive = fast computer. The proof is my 1.4ghz runs at least 10 times faster than his 3ghz because he has the worlds slowest hard drive and I have one of the fastest raid 0 setups.

I'm also convinced a 266mhz with a fast hard drive would EASILY beat his ridiculous 3ghz turtle.

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    So why in the world do people buy brand name PCs? You're just paying 3 times more for 10 times less and 10 times more trouble. ALL my computers were total nightmares until I built one myself, and it didn't even freeze in 4 years (although that's also thanks to Windows XP which is incredibly stable comapred to 98).
    I hear ya clicker. But, I disagree with the "3 times more" statement. Geesh, that may have been the way a year ago, but now, with Dell selling pc's with a printer, xp, and a LCD for $500, I must strongly disagree.
    Yes, they are not worth it. But, try telling that to a regular consumer. You know, the kind that I would have to charge at least $7/800 for the same darn pc, and I wouldn't make any money. So, pc sales have gone down the tube, (in fact, I don't even try, except for my business accounts of course), because they mass produce and buy. So, even my own supplier can't compete. Just do the math for yourself.
    Anyway. Yeah, name brand/proprietary pcs suck. But, we do have to eventually fix them.

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    Its not the bus thats the bottle neck, my bus is 266 and its still MILES faster than his P4, its the hard drive gateway uses which seems to be a 4200 or 5400 rpm. The hard drive is the most important part for system performance and they put the worst they can find, just like Compaq (perhaps all other manufacturers also but I have no experience with others) so it makes their brand new 3Ghx which they think will fly, run slow as molasses.
    Wrong again.
    I am sure if you check what drive is in that pc, it is NOT running at those speeds. In fact, it will be a drive from one of the majors running at least 7200.
    Just check for yourself. In fact, tell us the model number, and we will tell you. But, the drive is important, and, if after a complete wipe it is still running that slowly, you should check the drive with the manufacturers diag tool. Use the "advanced" test rather than the quick one, just to be sure. If not that, it could be a couple other things, so let us know.

OK I just said 3 times more at random, but for example, I know my other uncle got a very expensive HP PC which I easily could have built a better one for half the price, that was last year by the way.

Still, even if they are cheaper, they're still a pile of worthless junk.

Unfortunately what you dont seem to understand is
    To be competetive between themselves
    Box stores have been buying the cheapest crappiest parts they can get their hands on
    They keep driving the price down to beat each other out.
    The poor customer sees a big number P-4 3.0,and mebbe a crappy free Lexmark printer and thinks wow this is a powerhouse deal.
    Nothing could be further from the truth
    Celeries,SIS CHipsets,OEM soundblasters Generic memory
    They are nothing more then Bic lighters
    Last edited by Ferrit; December 13th, 2004 at 01:12 AM.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Wrong again.
    I am sure if you check what drive is in that pc, it is NOT running at those speeds. In fact, it will be a drive from one of the majors running at least 7200.
    Just check for yourself. In fact, tell us the model number, and we will tell you. But, the drive is important, and, if after a complete wipe it is still running that slowly, you should check the drive with the manufacturers diag tool. Use the "advanced" test rather than the quick one, just to be sure. If not that, it could be a couple other things, so let us know.
    OK maybe it is a 7200 rpm, but if it is, it's a VERY slow one compared to the 7200rpm maxtors Ive used.

I alsohave a SATA RAID 0 with 16 MB buffer which will by very far beat even a 10k drive, but still, his PC didnt seem to have a 7200 rpm, and if it was, it was slow and noisy compared to Maxtors.

And I hope you arent saying Im wrong about the hard drive being the msot important part for overall performance, because over experience, I've upgraded a lot of stuff, and I never notice any difference at all after a cpu or ram upgrade, but after a hard drive upgrade, the performance skyrockets. My dad's P450 is at least 10 times faster since I replaced the 5400 rpm garbage (which literally was the worlds slowest hard drive, I'm not just saying that, I've read reviews, it's the #1 slowest drive benchmarked) with a maxtor 7200 rpm.

Indeed. HDD tech has come a long way. What was in the pc? A Quantum Bigfoot or something?
    A HDD is important. Reread what I posted, and do the tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    Unfortunately what you dont seem to understand is
    To be competetive between themselves
    Box stores have been buying the cheapest crappiest parts they can get their hands on
    They keep driving the price down to beat each other out.
    The poor customer sees a big number 3.0 and mebbe a crappy free Lexmark printer and thinks wow this is a powerhouse deal.
    Nothing could be further from the truth
    They are nothing more then Bic lighters
    You're right, nothing could be further from the truth. Somehow, and someday, perhaps we will eventually reach a sort of "critical mass", where the prices stop falling, and then mass market consumers can finally appreciate the difference between a Yugo and a Mercedes.

Makes my job selling a quality computer SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier
    all it takes is them owning 1 emachine gateway or compaq
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Gotta agree with Click here re: the brand names, I've been having so many headaches with IBM's, Comcraps and Halfarsed Prickards that it makes you wonder how naive the consumer can be. I mean would you buy a car just for its engine size alone, regarless of brakes, suspension, steering, tyres, interior etc etc.

More often than not as said above they sell on CPU alone and use inferior mainboards with the whole world and then some "onboard" leave little room for upgrades (even then only using their bits), underspeed RAM and HDD, and non standard screws ... I mean why? Does anyone have a good explanation as to why Compaq use non standard screws? I'd love to know!

And as for the cases ......

Quote Originally Posted by buksida

>I mean would you buy a car just for its engine size alone, regarless of brakes, suspension, steering, tyres, interior etc etc.

>More often than not as said above they sell on CPU alone and use inferior mainboards with the whole world and then some "onboard" leave little room for upgrades (even then only using their bits), underspeed RAM and HDD, and non standard screws ... I mean why? Does anyone have a good explanation as to why Compaq use non standard screws? I'd love to know!

And as for the cases ......
    >That is the question!!

>
    Yeah!

Brand name PC's arent that bad, especially for new users. And as far as laptops go, Im defnately going to buy brand names. And with desktops, at least youre evenly covered and support is there, take the Middle East for eg. its horrible if u buy an assembled machine here. No Support, and they know nothing.

Laptops are a different story.
    Is everything that way over there Z?