DVR-108 driver (service) disabled...

Thread: DVR-108 driver (service) disabled...

Unhappy DVR-108 driver (service) disabled...

I have a 2 mo-old video editing workstation. Pioneer DVR-108 writer. I was xfr'ing a project from Adobe Encore. (doing my first DVD-related project, so I'm new to all this) It did write a disk-full of data to DVD (but I think it needed a bit more room to finish)... Anyway, at some point while futzing with it, the computer suddenly was unable to see the DVD drive anymore. Going to Dev. Mgr., Device Status is that "A driver (service) for this device has been disabled...."
    Currently the "driver" assigned is cdrom.sys.
    I don't fully understand all the theory, but I know that for XP (Pro in my case) a DVD doesn't use a "driver" in the classic sense... so what is it that's become disabled? And how do I go about enabling it? I've gone into services.msc and see nothing wrong -- far as I can tell... The only 4 things disabled are networking items.

Do I need to "reinstall" the firmware? I have 1.17; Pioeer's latest is 1.18. Actually, I DID download their exe & started it, and got a msg saying it couldn't find the device, or right device, etc. (should'a wrote it down, but at 3am....)

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Lost in Indianapolis,
    Carson

Welcome to Windrivers raysea
    Quote Originally Posted by raysea
    Do I need to "reinstall" the firmware?
    That would be my first thought.Have you tried yet?

Thumbs up Here's the Fix

Thanks for the reply & suggestion.

Well, I've not got much work done the last 48+ hours, but I've learned a lot of DVD problems trivia! What worked here was described in support.microsoft.com regarding uninstalling certain DVD-related software. Now, I didn't exactly uninstall anything, but I DID upgrade my Adobe Encore from 1.5 to 1.5.1 -- and apparently, that's when my "service" became disabled. What fixed it was going into the registry and deleting the value for a lo-end filter.
    After that I came up w/ the classic "reads a CD; won't read a DVD". I won't go into all that except to say that unplugging/replugging the IDE cable had no effect, but swapping DVR-108 drives fixed it (seems my old drive was intermittently not seeing DVRs).
    Now. Back to (real) work....