System Restore

Thread: System Restore

System Restore

Windows ME machine. Recent format and reinstall. System restore turned off.
    Despite this, the system restore folder keeps getting bigger and bigger. Despite being turned off, and having had its size limited when enabled, its now at 12Gb out of 13Gb. I can delete the files in it which is an indication its turned off, but it just keeps growing again. The machine is at a customers house. I call round, think ive fixed it, and then the problem starts again. Ive tried enabling, restarting then disabling etc, but no luck.
    Anyone seen this before?
    Please dont recommend dumping ME, because ive tried it. The customer likes it better than 98SE (but isnt able to upgrade to XP as the machine isnt fast enough), so its not up for discussion.
    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.

Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine

Anyone??
    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.

Quote Originally Posted by ADS_Tech
    Anyone??
    I have never seen that problem and I was unable to find a similar problem anywhere on the web. I was going to suggest dumping ME since that has fixed every ME problem I have come across but you said not to do that so I won't. I would say now either get a bigger hard drive or perhaps a clean reinstall of the OS would solve it. If you have another HD laying around try doing a clean install and see if the problem persists.

make sure that all the updates for ME have been installed...there is an update for System Restore...many of the problems with ME are addressed in these updates.

All done before I posted. I spent hours and hours on this problem, and got nowhere.
    The customer seemed very pleased with my efforts, though and ended up buying a nice shiny new PC. At least all that effort payed off in the end, one way or another.