Win XP and new Mother Board

Thread: Win XP and new Mother Board

Win XP and new Mother Board

Hi,

Actually, the subtitle of the subject line of this should be, "The Impossible Question."

How do I get WinXP to recognize a new mother board\chipset *without* having to do a 'repair install?'

When the MoBo died, I had 2 HDDs; main and slave. I did a "repair install" on the main and it went badly (and, after 3 weeks of fooling around with it, it's still not right). I don't want to go through that brain damage again on the 2nd drive.

Is there anyone here who knows how to get XP to behave with a new MoBo? The standard answers of "repair install" and "FDISK And Reinstall!" just don't make any sense if only a few KB driver or whatever is needed

As an analogy: You need a new oil filter for your car; you take it to the dealer and he says, "Sure, we can change the filter, however, we're going to have to rebuild your whole car around it from the headlights to the tail lights. And, of course, *you* will have to reinstall your radio, your heater, your air conditioner, your front seats, your back seats, the windshield, the tires, hub caps, seat belts, and about a hundred other things (oh, and by the way, your car will never run the same again) but, sure, we can change the filter!"

THIS MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS USING AN ATOMIC BOMB TO KILL A FLEA!!!

TIA.
    jpChris

Welcome to windrivers Chris. Short answer - you don't. Unless you replace the motherboard with an identical model (or at least an identical chipset), you need to reinstall. Your analogy is wrong too. Replacing the motherboard is not the same as the oil filter - its more like replacing the entire engine. Pull out a 3.0L engine and put in a 3.5L and you will have to change a lot of other components. Pull out a motherboard based on one chipset and replace it with one based on another and windows needs to change a lot of system files.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Unhappy

Hi hudsonsmith,

Thanks for answering me. Not the one I wanted, of course. And, thanks for the analogy correction.

So, in short, there's no way around having to do a repair install, right?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    Welcome to windrivers Chris. Short answer - you don't. Unless you replace the motherboard with an identical model (or at least an identical chipset), you need to reinstall. Your analogy is wrong too. Replacing the motherboard is not the same as the oil filter - its more like replacing the entire engine. Pull out a 3.0L engine and put in a 3.5L and you will have to change a lot of other components. Pull out a motherboard based on one chipset and replace it with one based on another and windows needs to change a lot of system files.

Quote Originally Posted by jpChris
    Hi hudsonsmith,

Thanks for answering me. Not the one I wanted, of course. And, thanks for the analogy correction.

So, in short, there's no way around having to do a repair install, right?

Chris
    Hi Chris,

My experience in this is that even after performing a repair install with the SAME CHIPSET I had to call Microsoft to get a new activation code. This meant that I had to explain to their satisfaction that it was the same computer with a different mainboard, in order to get the new activation code.

This has happened on several occasions, and the computers always retained all the data from the previous install, and the programs still worked. Your mileage could vary, however.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Tekboy; December 8th, 2004 at 12:25 PM.
    If only you knew what's inside of me now,
    You wouldn't want to know me, somehow.

Hi,

Actually, the subtitle of the subject line of this should be, "The Impossible Question."

How do I get WinXP to recognize a new mother board\chipset *without* having to do a 'repair install?'

When the MoBo died, I had 2 HDDs; main and slave. I did a "repair install" on the main and it went badly (and, after 3 weeks of fooling around with it, it's still not right). I don't want to go through that brain damage again on the 2nd drive.

Is there anyone here who knows how to get XP to behave with a new MoBo? The standard answers of "repair install" and "FDISK And Reinstall!" just don't make any sense if only a few KB driver or whatever is needed

As an analogy: You need a new oil filter for your car; you take it to the dealer and he says, "Sure, we can change the filter, however, we're going to have to rebuild your whole car around it from the headlights to the tail lights. And, of course, *you* will have to reinstall your radio, your heater, your air conditioner, your front seats, your back seats, the windshield, the tires, hub caps, seat belts, and about a hundred other things (oh, and by the way, your car will never run the same again) but, sure, we can change the filter!"

THIS MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS USING AN ATOMIC BOMB TO KILL A FLEA!!!

TIA.
    jpChris
    If your other drive is not the boot drive you don't have to do a reinstall. Just attach it to the cable and it will install as a new Hard drive and all your data will be there.

Hi tyamada,

You wrote: "If your other drive is not the boot drive you don't have to do a reinstall. Just attach it to the cable and it will install as a new Hard drive and all your data will be there."

That's what I'm trying to do — get the drive to be the main\bootable drive instead of being the slave.

jpChris

Hi tyamada,

You wrote: "If your other drive is not the boot drive you don't have to do a reinstall. Just attach it to the cable and it will install as a new Hard drive and all your data will be there."

That's what I'm trying to do — get the drive to be the main\bootable drive instead of being the slave.

jpChris
    Try this link http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314082. This works some times.

Talking

Hi tyamada,

Thank You!!! I've looked all over the MSKB site and never found this. Even the level -5 MS tech (that's a 'minus' sign)(meaning the person who answered the phone knew more than they did) hadn't a clue.

It looks a little complicated, but I'll print the article and go through it line by line. Maybe I'll be able to find a way to do it in a 1 2 3 manner that all can understand. Maybe.

Thanks, again, tyamada.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by tyamada
    Try this link http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314082. This works some times.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    I was under the impression that the reason for XP not being able to boot with another board is because of the HAL or "Hardware Abstration Layer"

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/H/HAL.html
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-