UPDATE: AVG Free Edition 7.0.296 Build 409

Thread: UPDATE: AVG Free Edition 7.0.296 Build 409

UPDATE: AVG Free Edition 7.0.296 Build 409

AVG Free Edition is the well-known anti-virus protection tool. AVG Free is available free-of-charge to home users for the life of the product! Rapid virus database updates are available for the lifetime of the product, thereby providing the high-level of detection capability that millions of users around the world trust to protect their computers. AVG Free is easy-to-use and will not slow your system down (low system resource requirements).

Highlights include:

- Automatic update functionality
    - The AVG Resident Shield, which provides real-time protection as files are opened and programs are run
    - The AVG E-mail Scanner, which protects your e-mail
    - The AVG On-Demand Scanner, which allows the user to perform scheduled and manual tests
    - Free Virus Database Updates for the lifetime of the product
    - AVG Virus Vault for safe handling of infected files
    - Great customer satisfaction!

Please note that any previous version of AVG Free will be un-installed automatically during the installation of the new AVG Free.

Download: AVG Free Edition 7.0 Build 409
    News source: grisoft.com

It pops up & tells you this techz if you have avg 6 when you search for updates ..

I just appeared to reference this Firewall settings guide for AVG (covers ZAP & KERIO rule sets as well as ones for the xp built in one {but NOBODY wants to use that - right ?!?! as it only stops 'ins' & doesn't do 'outs' - use something else })

Very good .

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    It pops up & tells you this techz if you have avg 6 when you search for updates ..

I just appeared to reference this Firewall settings guide for AVG (covers ZAP & KERIO rule sets as well as ones for the xp built in one {but NOBODY wants to use that - right ?!?! as it only stops 'ins' & doesn't do 'outs' - use something else })

Very good .

eh?

The SP2 firewall DOES stop OUTS!!

But yeah, would you trust M$ with your PC?

Quote Originally Posted by hogman
    eh?

The SP2 firewall DOES stop OUTS!! ..
    Errr .. oh no it doesn't ! ..

ICF is a stateful firewall, meaning that it inspects all incoming network traffic to your PC.
    'We' (me mostly but others) are fond of waffling about a thingee called 'whitelisting' - xp's firewall can't do that, & thats what I/we mean by firewall 'outs' ..

Whitelisting is the process of using some software process to monitor what can 'call' (initiate) an outside linkup & this gets around some nasty trojan or similar 'phoning home' & initiating a connection which your firwall will otherwise accept as the 'start' of the conversation was from within your pc & so 'trusted' .. but if its some trojan or whatnot that your AV/'anti-bad-stuff' software can't get then you just surrendered your machine to some hacker if you trust billy's 1/2 arsed approach ! - whatever firewalling system you are using, you also want some form of 'whitelisting' application too ... ICF (the built in xp firewall) CANNOT do whitelisting nearly all other firewall software will ..