XP Lag at Start-Up

Thread: XP Lag at Start-Up

XP Lag at Start-Up

Hello, Thanks for taking the time to read this....
    Every start-up lags...first a couple of icons load up (volume, AVG Free...). Then I have to wait for the computer to stop thinking before I can connect to internet etc...if i click on 'connect' too soon, the icon just freezes until finally, everything pours through...like the firewall loads and everything is then fine. I have an HP P1000 (which has cardreaders) hooked up, as well as a maxtor onetouch. The printer is always on, and the drive is rarely on during boot.
    WinXP
    AMD2600
    ASUS A7N8X-X
    M-Audio Delta 1010LT
    Radeon 9600Pro 128mb
    1024mb RAM
    80gb Maxtor HD
    120gb Maxtor OneTouch

Quote Originally Posted by rico
    Hello, Thanks for taking the time to read this....
    Every start-up lags...first a couple of icons load up (volume, AVG Free...). Then I have to wait for the computer to stop thinking before I can connect to internet etc...if i click on 'connect' too soon, the icon just freezes until finally, everything pours through...like the firewall loads and everything is then fine. I have an HP P1000 (which has cardreaders) hooked up, as well as a maxtor onetouch. The printer is always on, and the drive is rarely on during boot.
    Maybe spyware? You could go into msconfig and turn off unused programs that load during startup. Goto run and type in msconfig press enter and then select the startup tab and remove the checkmark in front of any proggies you dont want to load at startup.
    Can't never did anything except whine about what he couldn't do.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.

http://www.northernaurora.com/page/index.html
    http://www.northernaurora.com/page/chat.html Free Chat

As mentioned, check for spyware (hp's are notorious for having some already built in). Use the following inthe is order : adaware, spybot (1.3 or up), CWShredder. All can be found using google.

As well, MS has a free tool called Bootvis that will scan your boot up and make recommendations.

Final note, Defrag, scandisk, update all your drivers. Also, if you're on DSL or some other type of authenticating Internet access, make sure nothing starts up that needs to be on the net first, that will make your pc search for a connection before it finishes it's boot. I would also check for eroneous drive mappings.

Give us a bit more details and we can probably figure it out better.
    Today, a haiku:

Google, you f**ktard
    my fingers are so weary
    of repeating crap

Quote Originally Posted by gtiseb
    As mentioned, check for spyware (hp's are notorious for having some already built in). Use the following inthe is order : adaware, spybot (1.3 or up), CWShredder. All can be found using google.

As well, MS has a free tool called Bootvis that will scan your boot up and make recommendations.

Final note, Defrag, scandisk, update all your drivers. Also, if you're on DSL or some other type of authenticating Internet access, make sure nothing starts up that needs to be on the net first, that will make your pc search for a connection before it finishes it's boot. I would also check for eroneous drive mappings.

Give us a bit more details and we can probably figure it out better.

Thanks for your advice thus far...My unit is free of spy-ware, and I have the latest drivers. Tell me more about "DSL or some other type of authenticating Internet access" and "eroneous drive mappings. "
    Thanks again!
    WinXP
    AMD2600
    ASUS A7N8X-X
    M-Audio Delta 1010LT
    Radeon 9600Pro 128mb
    1024mb RAM
    80gb Maxtor HD
    120gb Maxtor OneTouch