New Free AVG
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Free AVG

New Free AVG

Don't know where to put this and I thought it might be better off seen than in one of the other threads. If someone already posted this, close it.

FYI, there's a new version of Free AVG to update too (been out for a month I think). You no longer need a code to activate it either. www.grisoft.com

May be it is just me, but I found new version less capable of actually healing viruses (detecting is still O'K, if not better) and working much slower than version 6...

Yeah. It's happened before Rus, and you know it.
    It seems to be the way for the IT world...

Im getting rid of AVG, and moving totally to NAV on my lappy too.

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Im getting rid of AVG, and moving totally to NAV on my lappy too.

You might also try Avast! Home Edition.

It is free, but you need to register it, and get a darn serial, like AVG, but it has many more features than avg, such as P2P monitor, IM monitor, Internet Mail, POP/IMAP/SMTP monitor, network monitor.

I have used it for a few months and have loved it.

It even detected a few viruses that were saved to a shared drive on a server, from a client that had it mapped.

www.avast.com

And hey, it even talks to you!

"Virus Database has been updated!"

or [Submarine Sounds] Virus has been detected! [\Submarine Sounds]
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1

Quote Originally Posted by bbtech6650
    [Submarine Sounds] Virus has been detected! [\Submarine Sounds]

hehe
    "they're funny things, accidents. you never have them untill you're having them" - Winnie The Pooh

Quote Originally Posted by bbtech6650
    You might also try Avast! Home Edition.

It is free, but you need to register it, and get a darn serial, like AVG, but it has many more features than avg, such as P2P monitor, IM monitor, Internet Mail, POP/IMAP/SMTP monitor, network monitor.

I have used it for a few months and have loved it.

It even detected a few viruses that were saved to a shared drive on a server, from a client that had it mapped.

www.avast.com

And hey, it even talks to you!

"Virus Database has been updated!"

or [Submarine Sounds] Virus has been detected! [\Submarine Sounds]

Another free one? Cool.

As a side note I'm running AVG on several machines and I haven't noticed any issues yet. It picked up some things hidden in zip files that the older version did not pick up as well.

running two machines at home, so easier to update them together, rather than updating one at a time, and since I'm gonna have a stupid b/w cap, gotta watch those MB's. I still prefer old reliable NAV.

running two machines at home, so easier to update them together, rather than updating one at a time, and since I'm gonna have a stupid b/w cap, gotta watch those MB's. I still prefer old reliable NAV.
    If you looked at the website I posted a little, It has a section where you can download the vps database updates, and you can turn off automatic updates.

http://www.avast.com/eng/update_avast_4_vps.html
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1

sorry, lazy I was.

I'm sticking to NAV though. Its never let me down before, and now the new NAV2K5 running on my lappy also detects suspicous malware.

... I still prefer old reliable NAV.
    That's gotta be an oxymoron ! - reliable ?!? - you of course had crack on your kornyflakes this morning ? - Its 'pooh' with trojans, need to get another bit (remember we have to pay for all these seperate bits now) - has an absolute 'hissey fit' everytime you install it on any machine with multiple accounts - is slow 'as a dog' on anything 'disk intensive' like a full scan - doesn't like other stuff present such as ZAP - can it look inside compressed archives (zip, rar etc) without unpacking them either ?(I'm not sure on this one, but I don't think it can) - & just to cap it off it sucks RAM up like a sponge !

NAV only gets 'rave reviews' as most of the testers use it on machines with just 'billy's stuff' on them - this dude here has it 'very right' if you ask me - Tests- Norton AV 2004

I've felt like that too, but after using a free one like AVG, I've come to appreciate the benefits of an AV that actually costs money, I'm using NAV2K5 and its pretty good, sure full scan takes a hella long time, but it plays well with ZAP now and does a good job with spyware too.

.. I'm using NAV2K5 and its pretty good...
    Well its better than 2004 for sure .. but it'll be a cold day in hell before I go that far , in a corporate environment set up & installed by someone who is aware of 'its special needs' it can be 'ok' - but start & give it some software they won't having running in your general standard office environment & its still likely to have a 'hissey fit' ..

However I will share Ruslan's earlier reservations about 'new & improved' AVG 7 - I don't think its 'improved' either - its catching 'more' (its not catching anymore really as far as my tests are telling me - what its picking up is cross-infection of other files earlier as far as I can tell - it doesn't find anymore 'seed' entries, but finds them as they are 'working' better - so the resident shield bit got better) but at the cost of speed methinks ..

My jury is back out again on just whats 'best' for free - avg6 had it .. but now I think I need another verdict

I've been using AVG for years, only been infected twice and that was me just not keeping things up to date. I haven't had a problem with the new version except that there is no way I can find to purge the SMTP "server". I've had more issues with NAV2x messing up things than AVG. Symantec is my next favourite for the ability to detect infection, but it's simply too bulky. In my experience NAV is the one with the problem removing infections but it's light years better than the McAfee alternative. One problem is nothing is 100% effective. Another problem is that these virus scanners are now picking up spyware and stuff as "viruses", which by definition most of them are not. I find this annoying. Many a time a customer has called me and said I missed viruses on their computer and it ends up being a ad/spyware thing they installed with kazaa or something. The price is right with AVG as far as I'm concerned...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Gotta agree with the above, been using AVG 6 for the last two years and not one infection, it has even found stuff that NAV missed on other peoples machines when I've slapped the hard disk into mine to re-scan it.

I use SAV corporate 9 at work on the server as it sucks less juice than NAV2K4 and is easy to manage through one central console, you can even hide the system tray icon to stop users messing with it themselves. Had nothing but grief when installing NAV2K4 on home computers that have less than a Gig of RAM!

may just have to try out AVG 7 now ...