service pack 2 download

Thread: service pack 2 download

service pack 2 download

Hello everyone :-)

I was asked by a friend to help her with problems connected to service pack 2 download. The system was showing instability (freezing etc) and she had received a message saying that the system was unstable as a result of the download and she needed to uninstall. This seemed a waste as it would require her to reinstall the whole thing again. And she is on dialup. (I assume this means that bits of sp2 were downloaded by update manager everytime she went online?)
    I restored machine to a week before day of problem occurring which then showed sp2 as being installed in the add/remove programs window. I then went to windowsxp update site and ran check on computer to see if any updates were needed. It came up with download of sp2 of 0kb and 0 minutes!!! What on earth does this mean??
    When I authorized download to begin it started downloading sp2 setup wizard etc. After about 10 minutes I stopped process as I did not want to repeat problem that had happened in first place. I turned update manager off as well. Can anyone advise me about this eg. if service pack is listed in add/remove programs why is windows update site trying to download it again? And is sp2 really installed if it is listed in add/remove programs?

I can't imagine trying to do a SP2 update over dial-up. You must have the patience of a saint.

If you have another computer with DSL and a CD burner, download the network install version of SP2, burn it to disc, and use that.

It's a 266mb file, but once you get it on disc, it's a handy thing to have around.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Have you checked the PC vendors website as some provide a patch that requires installing on the system before installing SP2 to prevent system problems?
    As to downloading it on dial up forget it.Instead go to a local newsagent and get it from one of the cover CDs or order it free from MS.

Thiers also a link on M$ site, they will send you out a SP2 CD, free shipping.