Turn OFF AUTOLOCK IN XP ?

Thread: Turn OFF AUTOLOCK IN XP ?

Turn OFF AUTOLOCK IN XP ?

Hey Guys..does anyone know how to Turn Off the Autolock feature in XP ? I have a XP PC commonly shared in a department and don't want the Autolock feature to be on there. It is very inconvenient when it gets locked and other user is unable to log on. I did a search online but did not find an easy way to TURN OFF AUTOLOCK.

Thanks in advance.

BigB

Is this pure XP or are you running a Novell network? Reason I ask is I've never run into this other than on a Novell networked machine and have yet to find a resolution for it.

Yes, this is Pure XP in an NT environment. This is a feature in XP & 2000 clients and I don't think it has anything to do with the server platform.

Quote Originally Posted by BigB
    Yes, this is Pure XP in an NT environment. This is a feature in XP & 2000 clients and I don't think it has anything to do with the server platform.
    Are you talking about locking the desktop when the screen saver comes on?

As far as I know, if it is not set by security policy on the domain controller, and it is not an independant program, then you have to go to the screensaver tab and uncheck the box that says "on resume, display welcome screen" That is the only autolock feature that is in XP itself
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    As far as I know, if it is not set by security policy on the domain controller, and it is not an independant program, then you have to go to the screensaver tab and uncheck the box that says "on resume, display welcome screen" That is the only autolock feature that is in XP itself
    That's what I was thinking, but he says this feature appears to be on by default, which it is not natively. Unless a Group policy is putting this into play, or maybe it's setup that way in a few users profiles, thus appearing to be default...

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    That's what I was thinking, but he says this feature appears to be on by default, which it is not natively. Unless a Group policy is putting this into play, or maybe it's setup that way in a few users profiles, thus appearing to be default...
    Are you helping answer questions or post padding in here now too. LOL
    Can't never did anything except whine about what he couldn't do.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.

http://www.northernaurora.com/page/index.html
    http://www.northernaurora.com/page/chat.html Free Chat

Quote Originally Posted by nunob
    Are you helping answer questions or post padding in here now too. LOL
    Everything I said was in assistance with the issue, while still waiting for the originator to respond.

In short, GP, default user, individual profiles, all valid reasons this feature is “on by default” since this feature isn’t on by default natively. In that, if it's GP setting this, you need to adjust the GPO to stop it. If it's individual profiles, he may have turned the feature off in one, but because screen saver settings are unique to each user, it will have to be addressed for each user so that the screen doesn't lock when someone needs to log off the current user and log in as themselves, thus compounding with each different user. If this seems to be the case for each user, then perhaps a custom default profile needs to be modified to prevent this from happening to any new users loging in, which may be the root of the reason of the problem.

All valid thoughts, without going into detail, no post padding. In essence, I am still probing, awaiting a response from the thread originator before going into detail and sending him places that don’t need to be addressed.

Thank you for showing your :butt: it was fun!

Yeah.

What he said.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Thank you for showing your :butt: it was fun![/QUOTE]
    Thats not my :butt: it was your Mom's!
    Can't never did anything except whine about what he couldn't do.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.

http://www.northernaurora.com/page/index.html
    http://www.northernaurora.com/page/chat.html Free Chat