Blue error screen after boot up - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blue error screen after boot up

Try starting xp up in 'vga mode' he says belat-ed-ly to prove its a video driver issue first .. ( at myself for not saying straight off ! - this is a special mode in windows that uses a default video driver with limited features - you get to it by pressing 'f8' repeatedly & fast just after post {when it goes beep} & you'll get a screen a bit like so

While we are in vgamode we also want to look in device manager for any duplicate entries for video controllers just in case, as there seems confusion about uninstalling ..

Quote Originally Posted by lindaroth1
    ... I have no idea what any of that means.
    It means either this "Stop 0x000000EA" Error Message When You Run Video-Intensive Programs or this Error message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER apparently & they both come down to 'bad driver' .. but there's a couple of bios settings maybe affecting things too, now I know what this means ..

I'd open bios & look & see if you have any any 'fast write' or 'fast read' values lurking as on & turn them off (to open bios its probably one of del/esc/f1, press 'muchly' as you turn on) .. looking for a screen like this probably ..

This 'fast write/read' stuff is a way of accelerating video card performance but it won't work with lots of stuff despite their being bios options for it, for how much performance it may add (say 5%) I'd leave it off ..

maybe...

That can only mean one thing: corrupted registry, bad drivers or hardware broken.

If i were you, I would:
    1º - uninstall nvidia drivers

2º - Deleate all temp files (C:\Documents and Settings\you\local settings\temp - all to rubish)

3º - Open computer case and remove video card, to put it on again (could bee some dust on the way)

4º - start windows in safe mode (just press F8 after the bios screen on startup)

5º - Run any nvidia utility to clean any rubish left by the old drivers

6º - restart

7º - Look for the latest drivers for your motherboard (because they include AGP driver) and install them (if you have a VIA chipset, go to viaarena.com, otherwise go to the site of the motherboard manufactor)

8º - Make shure you have the latest DirectX version (now its 9.0c). If not, install it going to windows update site

9º - Instal the latest drivers from www.nvidia.com

Hope that helped

Greetings from the country of Sun

Quote Originally Posted by peterpam
    That can only mean one thing: corrupted registry, bad drivers or hardware broken.
    This is three things, don't confuse the user

You probably require the latest chiset drivers to match the AGP driver

Find out the manufacture of the mobo and post it...and we'll tell where to find the correct chipset driver (my guess is a VIA chipset [www.viaarena.com] but we'll wait until your post.

My advice use the video card driver that came with the CD..don't use the latest from NViDiA
    "GOOD 2 GO"

so you just like to talk

Quote Originally Posted by LaSERCHiPs
    This is three things, don't confuse the user

You probably require the latest chiset drivers to match the AGP driver

Find out the manufacture of the mobo and post it...and we'll tell where to find the correct chipset driver (my guess is a VIA chipset [www.viaarena.com] but we'll wait until your post.

My advice use the video card driver that came with the CD..don't use the latest from NViDiA

I see.... You just like to talk no? Get messenger then, do not fill this tecnical thread with rubish.

Cause you haven't said anything new (all you wrote its already in this discussion) and you may confuse the user: with directX 9c installed, usually old drivers start to give problems... so i would't advise anyone to install the CD drivers if all the rest (AGP chipset driver, directX, VM, etc) is being updated.

No Greetings for you from the country of Sun

I see.... You just like to talk no? Get messenger then, do not fill this tecnical thread with rubish.
    Got it thanks...

Cause you haven't said anything new (all you wrote its already in this discussion) and you may confuse the user: with directX 9c installed, usually old drivers start to give problems... so i would't advise anyone to install the CD drivers if all the rest (AGP chipset driver, directX, VM, etc) is being updated.

No Greetings for you from the country of Sun
    Blah Blah Blah!

When I read "This could only be one thing"...then three completely different things are listed, I automatically know you have NO clue & I will not waste me time reading your long, winded thread. Perhaps you should proof read what you type and see if it makes sense before posting.

Anywaze...we are talking about an older video card [e-geforce 2 mx 400] . I would try to get in running with the software it came with before trying anything new. Your just gonna make a mess with different file versions.
    Last edited by LaSERCHiPs; December 22nd, 2004 at 10:53 AM.
    "GOOD 2 GO"

Had to take a day off. Too much talk that I do not understand. I get frustrated. I am trying to find out who makes the mother board in this thing. Let me ask this. Would this problem I have affect the working of email and other things besides me getting the blue screen and/or freezing up and I always have to boot up twice. I am so lost.

If all of these problems started after the new video card was installed...Take it back to who ever installed it and tell them situation...Let them deal with it...or pay your local computer store to solve the problem...Don't waste your time if you don't know what your doing...You shouldn't get frustrated.

You know this problem could have been solve a long time ago it you paid a professional to do the install.

I give you lots of credit for attempting to solve this on your own.

now for your question

Yes any invalid driver can cause troubles with your PC eg. freezing, BSOD's, you name it.
    "GOOD 2 GO"

#1- This problem started before new card was installed. Since the disp was part of the error code, it was assumed that the problem was with the monitor card. Not my call, but someone who fiddles with computers slightly.
    #2- I did not install the card.
    #3- Someone who supposedly knows something about this stuff checked it out and worked on it. Apparently he does not know as much as he thinks he does. How would I know how much he knows until he works on this? Now I know.
    #4- Since you are so adament about me paying a professional, would you please send me the money to do so. I can barely meet my monthly bills and I work hard for that. I just thought I could get some insight on solving this problem but apparently I'm in over my head. I will do some homework and with what has already been suggested to me, I will eventually figure this out. You see, I have a good brain and when push comes to shove, I can usually resolve problems. Thanks for all your help

Err umm .. I hate to disturb a good bit of bickering especially when its getting us soooo far ! - but what actually happens when you start it in 'vga mode' error or not ?

Linda,

Please ignore the non-help you get here. *Most* of the people here are actually very helpful, and dont have the inflated egos that so often accompanies someone with a modicum of technical talent.

Anywho...

It sounds like you might simply have (as was somewhat suggested earlier) a hardware problem. As TechZ said, it could very well be a thermal issue where the video card or PC (some component of it) is overheating.

It sounds like this may be an older PC (2-5 yrs), and if this is the case, you may have a situation where you would benefit from removing the CPU (processor) cooling fan, then cleaning the 'stuff' from the bottom of the fan/heatsink and the top of the CPU.

Any good bench-tech, and certainly any major PC manufacturer, will use some kind of thermal transfer compound to help conduct heat away from your processor and into your heatsink/fan assembly. Depending on the compound used, over time it can dry out and cause the type of problem you are seeing. In these cases, if you clean the old compound away and replace it with new 'goo' (often a thick white thermal compound is used), then this will fix the thermal issue on your processor. If it is thermal, other things can cause this as well, like a poorly installed heatsink/fan, a faulty fan on the heatsink assembley (very common), or even a processor that has seen better days.

One thing you can do to help determine if it is thermal is to turn the PC off for at least 30-60 minutes to let all of the parts completely cool. Then turn the power on and time how long it runs without freezing up or erroring out. Once it does, do a reset, or cycle the power off/on, and again time how long it will run before having another problem. Dont use the PC at all, just let it freeze up (or whatever) on its own. You may need to do this a couple times to get a few data points to compare. If the time to error from a 'cold-boot' is consistently longer than from a 'warm-boot', then odds are high you have a thermal issue.

If I were you, I would try this before pursuing anything else. If your hardware is faulty, and it sounds like it may be, then you may be barking up the wrong tree trying to fix driver revisions.

Im not saying anyone else here is incorrect, but thats how I would begin troubleshooting this from what Ive read.

I would like to add that depending on the processor in your system, removing the heatsink and fan can be a VERY tricky proposition. If you have whats called a 'Flip-Chip' type processor, you run the risk of destroying the CPU if great care isnt taken when doing this. Above all, be very careful, make sure youre grounded/earthed (depending where youre from) and try not to let it frustrate you. Charged emotions when inside a PC can only lead to the dark side... I mean, disaster...

HTH
    Shal
    Common sense, isn't...

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
    2. On the Settings tab, click Advanced, and then click the Troubleshoot tab.
    3. Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then clear the Enable Write Combining check box.
    4. Click OK, and then click OK.

Taken from: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q293078
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Thank you, I will have it checked out by someone different that I believe has some skills. I will tell you this, when I do a cold boot, it does take a bit to come up. It more times than not, will end up with the blue screen. I usually turn it on and then come back later and the blue screen is on. I restart it, it comes up a bit quicker and then I never have had a problem on the restart. I can go until I want to stop. Does this sound like the thermal problem you mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by lindaroth1
    Thank you, I will have it checked out by someone different that I believe has some skills. I will tell you this, when I do a cold boot, it does take a bit to come up. It more times than not, will end up with the blue screen. I usually turn it on and then come back later and the blue screen is on. I restart it, it comes up a bit quicker and then I never have had a problem on the restart. I can go until I want to stop. Does this sound like the thermal problem you mentioned?
    No, if it will run as long as you like after its warm, then its doubtful. Issues like this can certainly be tough to pinpoint without some tools and spare parts to swap to rule things out.

Sorry none of this has worked for you, hopefully you at least feel good about learning a bit about your PC in the meantime, though thats little consolation when it still isnt working as desired..

Take care,
    Shal
    Common sense, isn't...

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I have not given up, just been extremely busy in other areas of my life. I am going to get to the bottom of this eventually. I'll try the things mentioned and report back.

Like Lindaroth

Im getting almost the same problem as lindaroth. Heres what happened.

My old monitor got broke so I ordered a new digimate 17" TFT
    When set it up and ran my computer it ran for about 5mins. I installed the plug and play monitor when suddenly I got a BSOD. It says nv4_disp most likely caused an infinite loop error. Basically the exact same message lindaroth got. Now when i boot into normal mode the monitor comes up "no input" on the screen, turns off breifly and i get the samd BSOD right when the login sceen is about to appear. I CAN run in safe mode and for the time being i have uninstalled all Nvidia drivers which means i can run in normal windows mode. It is NOT old drivers, I installed the latest divers in safe mode and i still get the error, even tried some 7.14 beta Forceware but didnt work. My setup is

Pentium4 3.0 GHZ
    A12 Dell BIOS
    Nvidia MSI ti4200 with 8x AGP
    Digimate TFT monitor<<(Only difference i made to system since its stopped working)
    512mb RAM
    20Gb HDD

Plz if anyone has had this problem AND HAS FIXXED IT help