I dont know whats going on. However, last week I was having problems with my win98, 1100MHz, 512M RAM reading my 52x24x52 CD -R/RW. Finally, I just went and bought a new Drive.

It worked well for the first couple of times. After that I I started getting VOLTRACK.VXD errors and the BSD. I thought I fixed the problem.

Now, I can't access the CD drive yet if I burn a CD it burns, if I use InCD, it works. But if I put a CD in the drive it won't read it, audio or data. The CD spins and whirrs, etc i.e. sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to be doing when I insert a CD, yet when I try to access the drive I get an error saying: a device attached to the system is not functioning. And the same thing is happening now to my A drive.

If I put in a boot flooppy (like win98 setup) it reads the A drive. When I get to where, 'load the computer for CD support' it does, and I can access the CD. I just can't access either in windows. So the problem is in windows and not the hardware.

I have uninstaled, re-installed, rerplaced, renamed, change data cables, changed master/slave, blah, blah, blah.

So I guess I am looking for an 'if all else fails' fix if anyone has one.

TIA